What's new

Thought I got something good...but wondering if it is a lemon

My wife and I celebrated our seventh anniversary yesterday and I was resolved to get her a pen. A couple years ago I got here a fountain pen to see if she would use it. I think it was a Monteverde...nothing super great...but nice looking. Anyway...she loved the way it looked...but just never really used it all that much. So I decided to get her a roller ball pen. I went to a local retailer that has a decent selection of pens and that has a good reputation. I discovered that they were reorganizing (downsizing and moving to more online than brick and mortar) and all of their pens were between 20% and 50% off (Montblanc pens were 20% off and everything else was 50% off). I was going to pick up a Montblanc because the wife has wanted one for a while. But I eyed this beautiful Parker...
Parker 100 1.jpg

So I believe it is a Parker 100 and I know they are discontinued and have been for some time. I was shocked it was in the case. I thought it was perfect for my wife. That and it was 50% off. I got a pretty good deal on it and I knew my wife would love it.

I wrapped it up and gave the pen to the SWMBO yesterday morning, and as expected she absolutely loved it. Here is where the honeymoon ends.

I got a text from the wife yesterday afternoon showing me the below picture.

PArker 100 2.jpg

The gold finish was wearing off. I am not happy in the least. I am now wondering if the pen had been previously used (New Old Stock) which is what was represented to me...or I am doubting the authenticity of this pen. Either way, I am heading back to the store to either see if they will refund the money let me exchange it for something else. Since it is technically a "clearance" item...I am wondering if they will do anything at all. I am just very disappointed at this point.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
New Old Stock does mean unblemished or really anything beyond the fact the item is in inventory and has never been sold at retail. It can be beat up, scratched up, faded, broken, dented or abused and if it is in inventory and has never been sold before at retail can be New Old Stock.

IIRC though Parker was still issuing a warranty on the 100s based on the date of sale. So I suggest if the seller does not have a replacement you send pictures of the pen and the sales slip to Parker.

New Old Stock does mean unblemished or really anything beyond the fact the item is in inventory and has never been sold at retail. It can be beat up, scratched up, faded, broken, dented or abused and if it is in inventory and has never been sold before at retail can be New Old Stock.

IIRC though Parker was still issuing a warranty on the 100s based on the date of sale. So I suggest if the seller does not have a replacement you send pictures of the pen and the sales slip to Parker.
Thanks. The seller made right and gave me store credit. Just a shame, my wife did like the pen though.

That really is a shame that it did not hold up very well. There is nothing worst than buying something and it not living up to the expectations. Glad the retailer was able to make it right for you. Hopefully you will find something else that your wife will like.

If you are ok about a credit that is fine but you could argue that this is misrepresentation and you should have your money back, a new pen would not have the wear marks as shown on the cap which can only have been produced by aggressive polishing.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Just wondering what you did about the pen? Did you take it back and if you did how was the customer service?

Top Bottom