What's new

Thinking

Just got back from a trip to the local tobacco store, I was so overwhelmed I got nodda. I plan to get the pipe tomorrow. but the tobacco they have at CVS is TOPS and Captain Black. Is there a specific one I should choose or should I go Back to the tobacco store and look around again and ask for a specific type?

I'd highly suggest going back to the tobacco store and skip the CVS selection. Possibly ask for something on the lighter and somewhat sweeter side to start out with. Or possibly even one that is a light aromatic and one that is a light English style blend, let you sample a small bit of each style and go from there. The places around here usually have ounces of tobacco for under $4 each, so it's not a large investment.

Just got back from a trip to the local tobacco store, I was so overwhelmed I got nodda. I plan to get the pipe tomorrow. but the tobacco they have at CVS is TOPS and Captain Black. Is there a specific one I should choose or should I go Back to the tobacco store and look around again and ask for a specific type?
I might be crazy, but i dont want to buy my tobacco at a store that sells tampons! in all seriousness though, some guys love captain black and drugstore aromatics, but I think they're goopy/nasty, and I'll never smoke one again. I'd go back to the tobacco store and purchase a couple of tins of higher end tobaccos. Obviously there are tons of blends to try because not everyone enjoys the same stuff. If your taste in smokes is anything like mine, you'll be much happier skipping the drugstore blends. I'm not trying to offend anyone that digs drugstore aromatics, I'm just giving my opinion because you are fielding them...

If your local tobacconist has any motivation at all to gain a new customer, they will help you with suggestions and free samples from their bulk bins.

I might be crazy, but i dont want to buy my tobacco at a store that sells tampons! in all seriousness though, some guys love captain black and drugstore aromatics, but I think they're goopy/nasty, and I'll never smoke one again. I'd go back to the tobacco store and purchase a couple of tins of higher end tobaccos. Obviously there are tons of blends to try because not everyone enjoys the same stuff. If your taste in smokes is anything like mine, you'll be much happier skipping the drugstore blends. I'm not trying to offend anyone that digs drugstore aromatics, I'm just giving my opinion because you are fielding them...

You'll find that your tobacconist's bulk is about the same price/ounce as those drugstore blends -- it'll be fresher too. Also, they can point you out to an inexpensive pipe. Mine had a $10 briar -- I broke it recently -- it has been replaced by a Peterson, Savinelli, and a couple MM cobs. Even a $30 Grabow is too expensive if the pipe isn't your thing. I've seen lots of cool pipes on this forum that I'd like to own, but I knew any of them would be a huge wast of money if I bought them only to put them in a drawer or let them collect dust.

I'm new to pipes and don't smoke a ton, but last year I enjoyed a cigar and beverage in the back yard while listening to the ball game. I suppose the pipe (or 2) will take the place of the cigar once opening day comes to the Cincinnati area.

Kelly

So, I was so excited to get my new hobby started that I took the plunge. I bought a cob pipe from Right Aid and went to the tobacco store were I received little to no help. I tried to make the best educated guess that I could have, with my zero experience and now I am the owner of a cob pipe and pouch of Prince Elbert Cherry Vanilla.

This must have been a lower end smoke shop as they did not have any of the Tobaccs that you recommended. They also had pretty much what the Tampon stores had so I'll try it tomorrow and post back. I have a feeling my tobacco search has just begun.

Korey, it is a sad fact that most "tobacco" shops cater to just cigarettes and cheap cigars, or worse they are "head shops" masquerading as tobacco stores. Perhaps other members around your area can recommend a real store to try. If not, there are always sites online you can buy real, quality pipe tobacco from.

So, I was so excited to get my new hobby started that I took the plunge. I bought a cob pipe from Right Aid and went to the tobacco store were I received little to no help. I tried to make the best educated guess that I could have, with my zero experience and now I am the owner of a cob pipe and pouch of Prince Elbert Cherry Vanilla.

This must have been a lower end smoke shop as they did not have any of the Tobaccs that you recommended. They also had pretty much what the Tampon stores had so I'll try it tomorrow and post back. I have a feeling my tobacco search has just begun.

At least you have something to hold you over until you find a better place. You may want to look for a place that has a smoking room -- that's a sure sign. We have several local places which are just cheap cig joints. A ton of traffic comes across the Ohio River to get the lower prices and beat the Ohio taxes.

Kelly

Nothing at all wrong with Price Albert Cherry Vanilla. It's a decent tobacco to cut your teeth with. Just remember to smoke slow, so as to avoid tongue bite. And ask lots of questions. We have a lot of knowledge people around here.

Be aware that your corn cob pipe has a filter in the stem. It's really only good for about 3-4 bowls, and then should be switched. So you might want to go back to your local tobacco store, and buy some more filters. They are generally $1 for a box of 10. You can also smoke without the filter, but I don't like the feeling of the pipe that way; but some people don't mind.

Top Bottom