What's new

Thinking of MWF Again, But.....

Contemplating purchasing soap again. Had MWF when I had soft water, and never had any problem with it. Great lather, great shave. But now I have moved to a place with hard water. Had assumed that MWF would probably be good in hard water, given that it is old and of British origin (I figure hard water environment), but did read a post here from a gent a few years ago who basically suggested MWF unless you had hard water. Made me say WHOA!! Appreciate more first-hand experience reports on MWF use with hard water.

I have very hard water and get great lathers from MWF. My water is so hard that the coffee maker seizes up every few months unless I run vinegar through it!

I have a theory that the water hardness often gets blamed for the brush’s shortcomings. I don’t have very many brushes, but my boars and one badger, an SOC 2 band, do not get good lathers from MWF. My $10 RR synthetic gets absolutely wonderful lathers.

So if you experience lather problems with MWF, my suggestion is to use the Marco method with a synthetic brush. Using this methodology, MWF is as good for me as any soap out there.

I have very hard water and get great lathers from MWF. My water is so hard that the coffee maker seizes up every few months unless I run vinegar through it!

I have a theory that the water hardness often gets blamed for the brush’s shortcomings. I don’t have very many brushes, but my boars and one badger, an SOC 2 band, do not get good lathers from MWF. My $10 RR synthetic gets absolutely wonderful lathers.

So if you experience lather problems with MWF, my suggestion is to use the Marco method with a synthetic brush. Using this methodology, MWF is as good for me as any soap out there.

I’d agree with this. I never had issues with MWF but I do tend to use synthetic brushes most of the time.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
When I moved from a home with soft water to a place in the Phoenix area with extremely hard water I actually had an interesting experience and found that my hard water made the MWF lather better. This said, I feel like MWF is no longer an essential in my den as so many artisans have done what MWF does even better and with nicer scents. YMMV.

what is the Marco method?

I'll be interested to read first-hand hard water reports with MWF too.
Hard water household here and have never had any issues lathering MWF. If you read the ingredients list, the soap contains chelating agents, which help soaps lather in hard water, although I can just as easily lather soap without chelating agents.

Top Bottom