What's new

Thinking of getting a straight

Let me ask a question
I went from a disposable razor to a de the results were
like the difference between night and day. Hitting on bbs constantly and enjoying the shave. I am thinking of getting a straight is there a difference between a de
shave and a straight is it worth it going the extra effort
can my shave be better than that of a de blade? Or should I just be happy w/ my de razors and be happy with those results?
cheers.

Seraphim is right, but it's been soooo long since he got over the learning curve, he's forgotten to mention it to you. Straights can shave more comfortably than a DE. I am finally coming to learn that now. But it is a process and there is a steeper learning curve.

There is only way to find out if straight razor shaves are better than DE. For some of us it's the process that's better than DE.

You can get a great shave from a straight razor...it will take more time and effort than a DE. Using a straight gives me no BETTER a shave than my R41 with a Feather...and I get the job done much faster with the DE over the straight. But......there is kind of a cool retro vibe to using a straight. As mentioned before it is really a Zen thing.

I can get great shaves from my vintage DE's but i ENJOY shaving with a straight even more. Also like the honing and stropping and restoring. Try it. It's the only way to know.

You can get a great shave from a straight razor...it will take more time and effort than a DE. Using a straight gives me no BETTER a shave than my R41 with a Feather...and I get the job done much faster with the DE over the straight. But......there is kind of a cool retro vibe to using a straight. As mentioned before it is really a Zen thing.

Agreed - though I am finding lately that a straight shave is less prone to leaving me with irritation - razor burn - than a shave with my R41. So I think a straight shave is a more comfortable shave, but it took me about six to nine months to get there.

And as everyone else has said, if you're thinking about it, the die has been cast. You're going to get a straight. No reason to rush, but do enjoy it. Read here if you want to assess the risks: http://themileageonmyface.tumblr.com/post/40297615313/straight-razor-hazards

Go for it! I moved on to straights about six months ago. The learning curve is high and takes about six months. It is definitely an acquired skill. I am glad I stuck with it, other than the fact that I have new razors and stuff coming almost every week. It is kind of nice to know that I remain alive and not-too-badly scarred after a session of having a knife at my throat. I am becoming one with the wire-like whiskers on my flabby little face.

I was just in the same position. Although I never really ever got a BBS from a DE. I have a hard time going ATG, so BBS will probably always be out of reach. I was just curious about a SR, and next thing I know I am the proud owner of one and completed my first SR Shave last night. I can tell it's going to be a learning experience, but one I am interested in doing, so I will just go with it.

Let me ask a question
like the difference between night and day. Hitting on bbs constantly and enjoying the shave. I am thinking of getting a straight is there a difference between a de
can my shave be better than that of a de blade? Or should I just be happy w/ my de razors and be happy with those results?
cheers.

You and I had similar experiences. I used disposables 40 years because I didn't know there were alternatives. Then I solved the lifetime problem with a DE. But I wanted more and persevered to learn the straight. You won't get a better shave at first with the straight, but once you master the beast you can't get a finer shave with anything else.

I was exactly where you are right now, and because of that I know that your curiosity won't be satisfied until you take the plunge. I invite you to read to links to my signature, "Is Straight Razor Shaving for You" and "Shaving Made Easy."

You are going to start straight shaving. You just don't know it yet! :lol:

I was just in the same position. Although I never really ever got a BBS from a DE.

~~~how long (how many months) did you shave with a DE razor, and did you ever try using an SE safety razor?

And, were you able to achieve BBS with whatever shaving equipment you used prior to DE razors?

I have a hard time going ATG, so BBS will probably always be out of reach.

~~~just curious as to where you are having a hard time shaving ATG...is it everywhere or certain areas only?

I was just curious about a SR, and next thing I know I am the proud owner of one and completed my first SR Shave last night. I can tell it's going to be a learning experience, but one I am interested in doing, so I will just go with it.

~~~that's the right attitude

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Let me ask a question
cheers.

~~~~I forgot to give my 2 cents on your questions...

Of course the shave is different, comparing safety razors to straight razors, for one, the blade on a straight razor is at least 2.75" in length, and it's an entirely open blade

As to whether it's worth the extra effort, shaving with a straight vs. a safety...those that shave with straight razors (some) would definitely view safety razor shaving, as extra work, or effort, since that is what they use and a safety would seem foreign to them, but I get what you are asking and I only wanted to point out, you get used to what you use, anything else, may very well seem like 'extra effort' to use

What you will find is eventually you will fall into a rhythm using a straight razor so it wont seem like an extra effort at all, including what it takes to maintain your edge, or edges, if you shave using more than one straight razor

As far as whether the results with the straight razor, if it can be better than a DE, really depends on how you take to using a straight razor. There are many who try using straight razors that just don't get on with them at all, so they sell their straight razor gear and stick with safeties. no harm, no foul. Straight razor shaving isn't for everyone. Same with DE's and wet shaving in general...look at all of the shavers that wouldn't think about using a DE razor, and so they stick with their throw away disposables, pressurized canned shave cream/gel and or electric razors

IMO, straight razors pick you, not the other way around, since we all make the choice to try them. Those that want to try them that is

Now, if you would be more happy sticking with safeties....you'll have to try using a straight to see if it's something you would like doing. IMO, you will know fairly fast if it's something you want to find out more about

I'd have to say I was initially curious as to the straight razor process, then I found I enjoyed it, still do. Not sure if I'll ever fall out of love with it. I've been married to the same woman for 30 years and she's still around. Straight razor shaving just might work out for me too in the long run :lol:

Seriously though, I've only been using straights for a little better than two years. To say I know all I need to know how to use them and to use them well would be facetious. The whole straight razor shaving process is rather comfortable for me at this point

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

You can always give a feather artist club a shot. I've never used a real straight, but I've become a full on believer in the ability of the Feather AC's. They shave me more effortlessly/comfortably/closer than any DE/blade combo I have. There's this strip of hair down the center of my neck that is tough as nails, and my DE's all tug and pull and give pain there. The AC mows that area down ATG like there's nothing there.

I'm about 8 shaves into my Feather AC DX Teak, and I'm extremely impressed and ecstatic. No major cuts so far, in fact even less than when I use a DE. Plus, (and this is what has kept me away from traditional straights) no stropping and maintenance, so that pretty much brings the shave time to a comparable length of a DE shave. I think I want a Japanese nonfolding now :001_tt1:.

So if you like the idea of trying a straight, but aren't keen on the maintenance, I'd recommend giving those a shot.

You know how people are always trying different DE razors to find the right combination of comfort and aggressiveness, some geometries and blade angles are better than others? With a straight, you can have a very wide range of blade angles, all in one razor and change instantly for different areas on your face.

I have been shaving with a straight for about a year now, I can’t say that I get any smoother of a shave, but I do get a much more comfortable shave most of the time with no irritation.

There is a price to pay in increased maintenance and prep. And there are so many different grinds and styles that don’t think you can stop at just one either. But that is part of the fun. I would join the other enablers on this site and suggest you jump in and buy a truly shave ready straight and a strop from a trusted member or whipped dog and give it a go.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Get a straight. You got plenty of shave daddies here to give you pointers. In many ways a straight is actually easier than a DE. First, you can actually see the edge and where it is. Second, you have a lot more control over the shave angle.

www.whippeddog.com is a good place to get your first straight. Whatever you do, make sure your first straight is shave-ready. Most are not. BST sometimes has good deals. I strongly suggest going vintage for your first razor. If you decide straights aren't for you, you can usually resell a vintage razor for about what you paid for it.

You already got a brush, and soap and mug or bowl, so all you need is a strop. For that matter, you can strop on newspaper to begin with. Larry's Poor Man Strop Kit is worth a look, for only a few bucks. The pasted balsa can keep your edge going a long time if you strop about 50 laps on it after every shave. For better results get diamond paste and a bigger balsa block, and the Big Daddy strop from www.starshaving.com.

I also have been lurking the Straights pages for awhile now. Can someone direct me to a "beginners" section that would outline terminology, razor care etc. It would save you from a lot of my stupid questions.
thanks-

Top Bottom