What's new

Thinking about making my own brush for Xmas

I'm thinking about making my own shaving brush over the Xmas break and wanted to get some member feedback on knot size.

I have some experience on a lathe (made a few pens, bowls etc.) so I'm not worried about the woodworking side of things. My thoughts for the wood handle are maybe to use some black walnut or maple.

My current brush is a Tweezerman which has treated me very well. I'll probably still use it for travel because I don't want to damage the one I'm planning to make.

I'm trying to decide between a few different knots on TGN and wanted to get some feedback.

22mm Super Silvertip
24mm Silvertiptip Grade A
26mm Silvertiptip Grade A

The 22mm is supposed to be their most luxurious knot, but i'm a little concerned about the overall size. I guess the question is whether to go for a wider knot lower grade badger hair or the smaller knot with the premium hair.

Regarding usage, I have a variety of soaps and creams that I use so it won't be exclusively for either.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Feliz

If you are close to a supplier, why not go for an "exotic tropical hardwood" - cocobolo, african blackwood, ebony, etc.? Also available on line from Craft Supplies USA and others. These work well with an oil finish, like Danish Oil. Walnut and Maple tend to be a tad bland, in MPO. Good luck, and have fun! I don't have any comments about knots - I usually get TGN 22 Finest, and set around 48.

I've thought about the exotic hardwood as well. I have a large supply of maple and walnut from two trees that fell in my back yard that I had milled that have some pretty decent figure.

I may end up making two brushes, one out of one of the woods I have available with a less expensive badger knot and another out of a more exotic hardwood. Can't hurt building a prototype :)

The finish is also of concern. I noticed most use a lacquer of some sort and will have to do a little research here.

With regards to setting the depth of the knot, is epoxy only applied to the bottom and sides of the knot where the brown plastic looking piece is located?

I've thought about the exotic hardwood as well. I have a large supply of maple and walnut from two trees that fell in my back yard that I had milled that have some pretty decent figure.

I may end up making two brushes, one out of one of the woods I have available with a less expensive badger knot and another out of a more exotic hardwood. Can't hurt building a prototype :)

The finish is also of concern. I noticed most use a lacquer of some sort and will have to do a little research here.

With regards to setting the depth of the knot, is epoxy only applied to the bottom and sides of the knot where the brown plastic looking piece is located?

The epoxy just needs to go on the plastic-looking plug at the bottom of the knot. Make sure you get finish in the hole to protect from water, or coat the sides of the hole with epoxy. Do NOT use lacquer! It is not compatible with wet environments. It will turn white when it gets wet. Some use oil, some use spar or floor grade poly. Cooncat Bob uses a spar-oil-turpentine combination. One problem with exotics is that they are so oily that varnish doesn't want to dry on them. You may have been drawn to lacquer by reading the Dutch turners' post. It turned out when I checked with them that varnish is called lacquer in there part of the world. They are actually using floor varnish. Good luck! Turning brush handles is really fun! Now I'm running out of storage space..........

CA glue used like a french polish has been used by some, and is a process I want to try.

I have a 2 inch square turning blank of cocobolo (about a foot long) that I want to try this with.

The 22mm silvertip is bigger in diameter than my tweezerman. (I will recheck this)

Phil

My tweezerman badger measures between .875 and .900 inches, so 22.2 - 22.8 mm. I think I would go for slightly larger.
Phil

Last edited:

JMO,but your choice of woods is not the best for a long term water invironment no matter how you seal it.
As for setting the knot,is a mistake to apply epoxy to the knot itself,you will end up with seeing a glue line along the edge.
I mix two part applied to only the bottom of the handle hole,using a tooth pic go up the inside maybe 1/8th inch,set the knot,give a half twist,let it cure.

Top Bottom