What's new

The World Shave Off Showdown

Hi Jason

Good post and it’s was a question I was going to ask you.. do you want me to wait to send you back the GC as I’ll only be keeping the Timeless for one shave so once it’s done I’ll send both back together.. let me know buddy.

Thanks again for the lends!

Great shaves

That will be good just send both at the same time. Glad to let you use them. Look forward to the next smoothest shave off.
Happy shaves
Jason

Well I guess my game changer had a pretty good run. It took a razor that cost 5.6 times as much to knock it off. In my experience the GC is the best dollar for dollar razor out there I have tried. Even if I had no idea what the price of it was I would still love it. The Rs-10 is an awesome razor to and I agree it is smoother. I hope it comes back at some point. You will be getting my Ti95 soon enough, just hold your horses. Haha

Happy Shaves
Jason

+1 :a14:

Shave Off complete:

Razorock Gamechanger Mild Plate vs Raw Shaving RS 10 mild plate

Smoothest Razor Shave Off 2nd round underway and this is the first match up. I've been wanting to get back to this Shave Off but as I've posted up before I've been a little busy with a bunch of things that took up a lot of my time so it's time to get back to this Shave Off. As you know I'm pulling slips of paper out of the hat seem below which I liked the idea of as soon as one of the members suggested it. This way making a choice on which two razors to choose for a match up is not on me but rather on odds of what razors get picked randomly out of that hat. Some may not seem fair or exactly what your or I would want to see but this will surely be a test for all the razors involved in this 2nd round. This was an interesting pick and when I opened the two slips of paper I'm like this seems like a nice normal match up that made sense.

Many of you know that both these razors are almost exact opposites as far as price and obtainability. The RR GC is available often but in many cases does sell out fast. It's a very reasonably priced SS razor that many members really like. There are a lot of options now as far as plates like the mild .68 plate I'm using, the 84 gap, the OC and the Jaws. So a good selection of different baseplates and efficiency levels to choose from. The Raw Shaving RS 10 however was only in production for a short while before the company folded and at the time they were not cheap and I think the retail price for one was $375 for both mild and aggressive plates but on the aftermarket they usually sell for more than retail and are hard to find in SS and the 10 Titanium ones are almost impossible to find and the smoothest efficient razor I've ever shaved with and I'm kind of glad it's not in this competition as I'm not sure any other razor would stand a chance. BTW I was very lucky to be able to get one shave in with a friend of mines who has one of the 10 lucky people to get one. So very different price points and availability for both of these razors. When put side by side in person it's pretty obvious the RS 10 has better fit and finish but again when considering price difference it's totally irrelevant as the RR is pretty darn good for its price point.

So waiting for the two Timeless Razors to get hear which I found out yesterday were going to take a little longer than expected I thought let's see if I can get a couple of Shave Offs in to get this one going again. The reason I bring this up is because I was waiting I didn't shave for 3 1/2 days and so I thought as I was loading Polsilver blades into these two razors I'm hoping they can handle this much growth as I'd normally use a much more efficient razor on 3 plus days stubble. So a good challenge for these two!

Gear used:
Razorock GC 68. SB
Raw Shaving RS 10 SB mild plate
Asylum/SV Colonia Shave soap and aftershave
Elite Stone handle two band badger brush
Once used Polsilver blades
Thayers Lemon witch hazel tonic - not seen.

Decided to do two passes like normal to see what these two could do with 3+ days growth. So going WTG and ATG using my normal SSSST and using my newest X pattern strokes on my cheeks and neck on the WTG pass only as they get me even closer than my normal movements in those areas.

1st pass WTG - I started on my right side with my N to S pass and it's been a while since I used my RS 10 so I was anxious to take it for a spin. I was very pleasantly surprised by how well it was taking down my stubble and there was no blade chatter or hesitation going on and as always blade feel and audible feedback was at a very moderate to low level. On my cheeks using the X pattern strokes this razor was very smooth and yet surprisingly efficient in removing this much growth and I'll make a note so smooth around my mouth. So finished up the pass and grabbed the RR and headed down my most difficult to shave right side neck and again I was pleasantly surprised at how nicely the razor was shaving and knocking down my stubble. On a side note I've noticed that sometimes not always when I let my beard grow out longer than normal I get a great shaves out of a lot of razors that would be considered mild or mid level efficient besides the expected very and hyper efficient razors. Yes it may take a few more strokes and maybe even an extra pass or some buffing or touch ups but I've had some very nice shaves and I believe this may be one of them as things were already looking like it was going in that direction. BTW I took a hot shower and had some pre shave soap from Stirling in the shower so after washing my face with a regular face soap I put a layer on my bearded area of my face and neck and let it sit on there till my last rinse before getting out so my beard was really soft. I had my brush soaking in hot now warm water and I went right to it and I'm a fan of SV soap as I have it in my top 10 and this Colonia along with their Felice Aromatica are my two favorites. I love this scent as it's fresh and clean and perfect for a nice mild summer day. Anyway the GC did a very nice job on the first WTG pass on my neck and so with it in hand I headed over to the left side of my face and began taking X pattern strokes while heading S and just like the previous pass it's doing a nice job on the extra growth. While not as smooth as the RS 10 and with a tad more blade feel and audible feedback it's still what I'd consider a smooth razor and I like this much better than the RR GC OC that i just got that I just couldn't connect with and I'm definitely selling. Anyway rinsed and gave a quick face feel and so far it's the RS 10 that's taken down more stubble and it's noticeable but we have one more pass to go. So releathered and got ready to my ATG pass as things can change. I've seen it happen before.

2nd Pass ATG - I started this pass with the GC at the base of my neck on the right side and giving my skin a nice stretch I begin my S to N pass and again this razor is consistent in blade feel and audible feedback as it attempts to take down the remaining stubble left from the last pass. So far so good as I move upward and it's still smooth as far as face feel goes and I'm thinking this razor must like the Polsilver blade. So up to my lower jawline and time to switch over to the RS 10 and continue up my face and it was on the switch over that I really noticed the difference in smoothness as the RS 10 definitely had the edge but I thought to myself wait to see how the efficiency of each razor plays a part on which one gets me the closest in 2 passes. Blade feel on this pass starts to diminish as always but I can still feel it enough to know my angle but honestly it's more intuitive for me than listening to the audible feedback once I get to know a razor and the smoothness of this razor translates into great face feel! So wonderful pass from the RS 10 and I can say that if I was a daily shaver I could be happy with just this one razor it's that good. On to the other side with the RS 10 at the base of my left side neck and what can I say than just a continuation of the last pass and even faster and easier so it was a very smooth quick pass. Picked up the RR GC to continue N and the difference between these two razors came out on this pass for me as the RR is just out performed by the RS 10 which was both smoother and more efficient. Maneuverability on both was good and just about the same so neither one really stood out as the better of the two in that area at least for me. So finished off the last pass in this Shave Off and went to post shave ritual.

Post shave:
Rinsed with warm and cold water and then splashed on some lemon Thayers and let it dry as I cleaned up my gear. After my face dried I did my face feel and there was no need for a cotton test as the RS 10 took down more stubble and I ended up with a solid DFS from the RR GC and a combo of BBS level 1 on most of my face and a couple of spots where it was DFS. So not bad from either mild razor on the 3 + days growth I had. This call was confirmed as it's been more than 24 hrs since this Shave Off and the RS 10's shave lasted a bit longer but the areas all stayed true to the first evaluation. So splashed on some of the aftershave and thought to myself what a nice all around shave and I smelled good which was also confirmed by the ladies at work! LOL

Scoring system:

Razorock Gamechanger mild plate

1. Smoothness = 53 points
2. Efficiency = 14 points
3. Balance = 5 points
4. Maneuverability = 4 points
5. Glide = 4 points

Total score = 80 points

Raw Shaving RS 10 mild plate

1. Smoothness = 55 points
2. Efficiency = 15 points
3. Balance = 5 points
4. Maneuverability = 4 points.
5. Glide = 4 points

Total score = 83 points

So the winner of this Shave Off and moving on to the 3rd round is the Raw Shaving RS 10 mild plate. So a big congrats and as of right now my prediction is that this razor is at least in the top 3 at the end because as smoothness goes it's excels. Hats off to the RR GC has it doesn't have to hold its head in shame as it is an excellent shaving razor especially for the price of entry.

Great Shaves my friend!

View attachment 1010869

View attachment 1010870

View attachment 1010871

Excellent shave-off!! No surprises here, but still a great match!!:a14::a14:

Last edited by a moderator:
Shave Off Complete:

Timeless Matte Finish .95 Scallop baseplate vs Timeless High Polished .95 Scallop baseplate

Ok guys I've done more than a few Shave Offs in the last few years and I got to say this one has me a little stumped and so I'm going to report this and give my opinions and suspicions but honestly that's all they are and I would not take them as set in stone! I can't wait to hear your opinions, feedback and suspicions on what I'm about to report.

I know a lot of you are saying this should have been a simple Shave Off comparison and going into this I'd have to agree with you as that was my frame of mind. Well all that changed from the minute I started to load a blade in them. First off there's a very slight weight difference with the Matte finish razor coming in at 76 grams and the High Polished at 74.. I double checked my High Polished DC .95 just to be sure and yep 74 on that one to so first question was why is the High polished lighter? Can it be that polishing takes off the 2 grams? My suspicions tell me yes but I'm no expert in that area so let the pros that have more knowledge than me chime in on this topic.

Another thing that really was different was loading a blade. ( BTW for ease of typing I'm going to refer to the matte finished as MF and the High Polished as HP ) So loading the MF was pretty much like any of the SS in as the blade just dropped in and went over the posts very easily and when screwing it down the two little slots went in like they weren't even there! Not so with the HP one. Nope it was harder to get the blade in ( Used Kai in both ) and once you did by pushing it down with a little bit of force then you had to play with it a little to get it to go into the two slots located at each end of the baseplate. Ok it doesn't stop there. Also as you turn the handle and head tighter there is a little cracking noise and I'm sure you've heard it before with other razors along your journey as I have a few times but honestly I can't remember what razors did that so I have no names to throw out there but anyway yes once lined up and after the cracking noise subsides it buttons up and I didn't notice any difference in blade rigidity between the two of them. Ok we are just getting started and it's time to get to the Shave Off were other little subtle differences arose out of the lather which came courtesy of Mike's Natural Barbershop I used and I Like Mike's barbershop scent in his soap & aftershave. Anywho time to get this show on the road.

Gear used:
Timeless high polished .95 Scallop BP
Timeless Matte finish .95 Scallop BP
New Kai blades
Mike's Natural BS soap and aftershave
Maggard Synthetic

1st Pass WTG - Ok so I started my N to S pass using the High Polished and I had a solid 3 days growth so both these razors had their work cut out for them. The HP had some blade feel but also had a nice soft face feel like most Ti razors and I'd put it just behind both the high polished WR2 Ti and Raw Shaving RS 10 both SS and Ti I've shaved with so in some good company. Glide was good and it was efficient enough to not struggle with my 3 days growth but to be 100% honest I have a few razors that take down this much growth easier and faster but in no way am I'm putting this razor down just like to give as much info as I can and you know me I can be long winded! LOL So maneuverability is one thing about this razor that appealed to me right from the first shave I had with it and I also felt the same the first time I shaved with the MF one last year when a member lent me his for a Shave Off. Getting around my mouth and under my nose was no issue even with the sort of big dome on the head. So finished up the first pass and I'd classify it as very good. Picked up the MF and continued downward to the base of my neck using my normal SSSST and no pressure. Immediately I notice the audible feedback is a completely different song than the HP was singing. A little louder but that wasn't just what I focused into but more the sound.. it was just plain different and closer in sound to my SS .95 DC but still different. This one I can't explain I just know what my dumbo ears heard it all throughout the Shave Off! Balance was basically identical so nothing there. Again maneuverability on both these razors is steller! Head design looks identical to my untrained eyes so I'm thinking at this time ok. So here's the other biggy...blade feel. Yep the MF had more than the HP and again why is what I'm asking myself and to be honest and believe me I'm not bragging but I've done enough side by sides to the point where I can pick up little subtitles between razors and I was definitely not imagining these differences. Still no explanation at all of why! I finished up the pass and went over to the left side of my face and began the N to S pass with the MF and no difference in how it took down my growth only blade feel and sound comparing it to the HP one. Another good pass. Grabbed the HP and started down my neck and once again both sound and blade feel are now popping out to me in their differences. So another good pass. Rinsed and relathered to begin my ATG pass as I really wanted to see if anything changed with the ATG pass that would change my opinion on the differences I felt and heard on the WTG pass.

2nd Pass - Here we go! To the base of my neck on my right side ( the one with the nasty cowlick Lol ) upward I go with the MF and given myself a good skin stretch with my shaving towel. No disappointments here as the MF began to clean up whatever stubble it had left on the WTG pass. Audible feedback quieted down a bit but still had a unique sound but I wanted to wait to use the HP before coming to any conclusions. Between the efficiency, lightweight, balance and maneuverability these two razors exhibit this was a fast pass with no issues whatsoever. So very nice pass! To continue upward using the HP there it was again! The noticeable difference in both blade feel and audible feedback with the HP providing less of each than the MF. I went ATG everywhere and even around my lips which sometimes I have to be careful with on the ATG pass because with 3 days growth there are hairs growing very very close to my lips but this razor is very easy to shave with and very consistent in its performance as well which is also true of the MF and the SS models I've used/owned. I have to say Timeless is a company I've been dealing with since they first came out and I respect the brand, the owners and the great customer service they provide and I know why some members only use a Timeless razors and have loyalty to the brand which in my humble opinion they really do deserve! Ok back to the Shave Off and this pass. I finished it up and moved over to the other side of my neck at the base still using the HP and on this easier side of my neck this pass was a breeze and another fast one with very good results. I picked up the MF for the last pass of this Shave Off and yepper my opinion has not changed on all the subitie differences between these two.. Don't know why but for me by the time this Shave Off was over they were solidified in my mind and I'll stand by that.

Now for the part that wasn't any different. Efficiency! A dead on even shave on all areas and I'd have to call this a tie with no winner if I was scoring this on just how close a shave I got. It's been since around 9am this morning and were past 12 hrs and yep no difference and they mirrored each other in the closeness of the shave.
Ok so now some may be thinking how about smoothness and glide! One better than the other? Well I tried reading these two as best I could in that dept and with Shave soap on for me maybe and that's a big maybe and I'm splitting hairs here the HP was a tiny, tiny, tiny bit smoother!! So out of curiosity I took that test to another step and when my face was completely dry before putting on any aftershave I ran both razor over my face and on my lips to see and doing that test there was more of a noticeable difference between the MF & HP with the HP being the smoother with better glide while the matte finish was a little more stop and go with some slight drag.

Ok I don't feel completed yet and I'll be honest I've got to run the MF Ti up against my DC as I have to see if one of my suspicions is correct and that is using the SB side of my dualie is there going to be a more noticeable difference and how about the OC side? Well we will find out when I get another 3 days growth just to keep things the same and we will see. So to be continued...

With all that said it wasn't the most relaxing shave I've had as I was focused in on these two like a freaking Tiger stalking a deer as I can see if someone were not paying attention or just using one razor one day and other razors in between for example they including myself would probably not feel any difference between them except in appearance. Oh btw I got a nice solid BBS level 1 with some areas a level 2 out of both razors which is on par with my SS which I've had a billion shaves with... exaggerating a bit! :001_tt2:

So That's all I've got!

Great shaves my friends!

DB

F9E9B3EA-D81C-423B-A34A-9CBE323D9E6C.jpeg

1ACA3070-F5A5-4CBA-A4D1-75FC5BC0F2D9.jpeg

068AA846-3794-4726-BD5A-DCFF97808E0A.jpeg

Dang I've got to clean that matt off in the photo tent.. shows everything.. sorry guys for the so so photos! :mad2:

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Shave Off Complete:

Timeless Matte Finish .95 Scallop baseplate vs Timeless High Polished .95 Scallop baseplate

Ok guys I've done more than a few Shave Offs in the last few years and I got to say this one has me a little stumped and so I'm going to report this and give my opinions and suspicions but honestly that's all they are and I would not take them as set in stone! I can't wait to hear your opinions, feedback and suspicions on what I'm about to report.

I know a lot of you are saying this should have been a simple Shave Off comparison and going into this I'd have to agree with you as that was my frame of mind. Well all that changed from the minute I started to load a blade in them. First off there's a very slight weight difference with the Matte finish razor coming in at 76 grams and the High Polished at 74.. I double checked my High Polished DC .95 just to be sure and yep 74 on that one to so first question was why is the High polished lighter? Can it be that polishing takes off the 2 grams? My suspicions tell me yes but I'm no expert in that area so let the pros that have more knowledge than me chime in on this topic.

Another thing that really was different was loading a blade. ( BTW for ease of typing I'm going to refer to the matte finished as MF and the High Polished as HP ) So loading the MF was pretty much like any of the SS in as the blade just dropped in and went over the posts very easily and when screwing it down the two little slots went in like they weren't even there! Not so with the HP one. Nope it was harder to get the blade in ( Used Kai in both ) and once you did by pushing it down with a little bit of force then you had to play with it a little to get it to go into the two slots located at each end of the baseplate. Ok it doesn't stop there. Also as you turn the handle and head tighter there is a little cracking noise and I'm sure you've heard it before with other razors along your journey as I have a few times but honestly I can't remember what razors did that so I have no names to throw out there but anyway yes once lined up and after the cracking noise subsides it buttons up and I didn't notice any difference in blade rigidity between the two of them. Ok we are just getting started and it's time to get to the Shave Off were other little subtle differences arose out of the lather which came courtesy of Mike's Natural Barbershop I used and I Like Mike's barbershop scent in his soap & aftershave. Anywho time to get this show on the road.

Gear used:
New Kai blades
Maggard Synthetic

1st Pass WTG - Ok so I started my N to S pass using the High Polished and I had a solid 3 days growth so both these razors had their work cut out for them. The HP had some blade feel but also had a nice soft face feel like most Ti razors and I'd put it just behind both the high polished WR2 Ti and Raw Shaving RS 10 both SS and Ti I've shaved with so in some good company. Glide was good and it was efficient enough to not struggle with my 3 days growth but to be 100% honest I have a few razors that take down this much growth easier and faster but in no way am I'm putting this razor down just like to give as much info as I can and you know me I can be long winded! LOL So maneuverability is one thing about this razor that appealed to me right from the first shave I had with it and I also felt the same the first time I shaved with the MF one last year when a member lent me his for a Shave Off. Getting around my mouth and under my nose was no issue even with the sort of big dome on the head. So finished up the first pass and I'd classify it as very good. Picked up the MF and continued downward to the base of my neck using my normal SSSST and no pressure. Immediately I notice the audible feedback is a completely different song than the HP was singing. A little louder but that wasn't just what I focused into but more the sound.. it was just plain different and closer in sound to my SS .95 DC but still different. This one I can't explain I just know what my dumbo ears heard it all throughout the Shave Off! Balance was basically identical so nothing there. Again maneuverability on both these razors is steller! Head design looks identical to my untrained eyes so I'm thinking at this time ok. So here's the other biggy...blade feel. Yep the MF had more than the HP and again why is what I'm asking myself and to be honest and believe me I'm not bragging but I've done enough side by sides to the point where I can pick up little subtitles between razors and I was definitely not imagining these differences. Still no explanation at all of why! I finished up the pass and went over to the left side of my face and began the N to S pass with the MF and no difference in how it took down my growth only blade feel and sound comparing it to the HP one. Another good pass. Grabbed the HP and started down my neck and once again both sound and blade feel are now popping out to me in their differences. So another good pass. Rinsed and relathered to begin my ATG pass as I really wanted to see if anything changed with the ATG pass that would change my opinion on the differences I felt and heard on the WTG pass.

2nd Pass - Here we go! To the base of my neck on my right side ( the one with the nasty cowlick Lol ) upward I go with the MF and given myself a good skin stretch with my shaving towel. No disappointments here as the MF began to clean up whatever stubble it had left on the WTG pass. Audible feedback quieted down a bit but still had a unique sound but I wanted to wait to use the HP before coming to any conclusions. Between the efficiency, lightweight, balance and maneuverability these two razors exhibit this was a fast pass with no issues whatsoever. So very nice pass! To continue upward using the HP there it was again! The noticeable difference in both blade feel and audible feedback with the HP providing less of each than the MF. I went ATG everywhere and even around my lips which sometimes I have to be careful with on the ATG pass because with 3 days growth there are hairs growing very very close to my lips but this razor is very easy to shave with and very consistent in its performance as well which is also true of the MF and the SS models I've used/owned. I have to say Timeless is a company I've been dealing with since they first came out and I respect the brand, the owners and the great customer service they provide and I know why some members only use a Timeless razors and have loyalty to the brand which in my humble opinion they really do deserve! Ok back to the Shave Off and this pass. I finished it up and moved over to the other side of my neck at the base still using the HP and on this easier side of my neck this pass was a breeze and another fast one with very good results. I picked up the MF for the last pass of this Shave Off and yepper my opinion has not changed on all the subitie differences between these two.. Don't know why but for me by the time this Shave Off was over they were solidified in my mind and I'll stand by that.

Now for the part that wasn't any different. Efficiency! A dead on even shave on all areas and I'd have to call this a tie with no winner if I was scoring this on just how close a shave I got. It's been since around 9am this morning and were past 12 hrs and yep no difference and they mirrored each other in the closeness of the shave.
Ok so now some may be thinking how about smoothness and glide! One better than the other? Well I tried reading these two as best I could in that dept and with Shave soap on for me maybe and that's a big maybe and I'm splitting hairs here the HP was a tiny, tiny, tiny bit smoother!! So out of curiosity I took that test to another step and when my face was completely dry before putting on any aftershave I ran both razor over my face and on my lips to see and doing that test there was more of a noticeable difference between the MF & HP with the HP being the smoother with better glide while the matte finish was a little more stop and go with some slight drag.

Ok I don't feel completed yet and I'll be honest I've got to run the MF Ti up against my DC as I have to see if one of my suspicions is correct and that is using the SB side of my dualie is there going to be a more noticeable difference and how about the OC side? Well we will find out when I get another 3 days growth just to keep things the same and we will see. So to be continued...

With all that said it wasn't the most relaxing shave I've had as I was focused in on these two like a freaking Tiger stalking a deer as I can see if someone were not paying attention or just using one razor one day and other razors in between for example they including myself would probably not feel any difference between them except in appearance. Oh btw I got a nice solid BBS level 1 with some areas a level 2 out of both razors which is on par with my SS which I've had a billion shaves with... exaggerating a bit! :001_tt2:

So That's all I've got!

Great shaves my friends!

DB

View attachment 1013742
View attachment 1013743
View attachment 1013744

Dang I've got to clean that matt off in the photo tent.. shows everything.. sorry guys for the so so photos! :mad2:

Frank here is my answer to the question about the weight, when Timeless went with the polished Ti version they changed the grade of Titanium that they had been using . the Titanium Timeless uses now is better to polish
Making it a much nicer finish.
So I guess my question is how old is the MF Ti that you are using ? It coul be possible that it is the older Titanium material.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Frank about the blade, did you try switching the blades from one to the other to see if it had the same issue about being that snug of s fit?

My razor is about 3 weeks shy of a year old. Those are some interesting findings. I have not tried the HP yet but I really love my MF.
Happy shaves my friend
Jason

Very good shave off sir. The slightly different grade of metal, yep that probably explains the sounds being different. Weight is that the metal difference too or polish removing a tiny bit of weight? The tight blade fit on the HP, hmmm. Puzzling. I'd like to hear what Timeless says on this part.

My high polished Ti also has a snugger fit when placing the blades on the posts. @Graydog is correct the earlier Ti's were a different grade of Ti compared to the newer ones, Timeless made the change when they were planning on making a polished version, as the grade they use now takes a polish better. Excellent comparison Frank.

Great review Frank. I can’t beleive that polishing a razor would remove 2 gm of material without modifying the shave character so the change in grade makes sense. I would then speculate that the different Titanium grade was also responsible for the tiny improvement in smoothness if it is even real. Maybe next time you could shave blind-folded as with the razors’ identical shapes and nearly same weights you couldn’t tell which was which ?

great test, sensing and describing subtle differences between those razors can't be easy. Again you are giving all of us very useful information for future purchases as well as a second experience to compare to our own experience . Thanks again for all the work Dragonsbeard.

Frank I spoke with Matt at Timeless right after I bought the prototype at the Maggards meetup about the blade posts being snugger and he said that was normal. I must say the .68 OC is an awesome daily driver and the .95 covers the rest.

So sorry guys I haven't updated or posted any Shave Offs I've done. I did the one that I posted up using the President vs the Karve and I will write it up soon but as some of you know I've been waiting on the two Timeless Ti razors to get to me from 2 different members who so kindly lent them to me and I did the Shave Off this morning before going to work so I'll post up the review later on or early tomorrow morning. Things have been a little crazy for me so I've been a little pressed for time to write up these reviews so hopefully things will lighten up in the next few weeks and I can get back to my normal routine of doing at least 1 or 2 Shave Offs a week.

So I did the Shave Off using a Matte Finished Scallop .95 baseplate vs a High Polished Scallop .95 baseplate so pretty much an apples to apples match up except for finish.

All I'll say is it was a good one and the end results were different than I expected.

Great shaves!

View attachment 1013650

No worries, life happens!!

I have no problem loading it but it is definitely snugger than the Matte Ti and the SS. I hear the sound of the blade bending in a lot of my razors so I’ve never paid much attention to it.

Very informative Shaveoff, Frank. I am very happy that I won’t be forced to sell my matte finish razor and buy a polished version. My .95 matte finish razor weighs 75.4 grams and is less than a year old. I also have the cracking noise when putting a blade in. The blade is also harder to change out than any other razor I have. Seems to be stuck in there. Not a big problem though. Thanks again, Frank.

In my experience the tight fit and that cracking sound generally mean that the blade is going to be rock solid, which makes for a smoother shave.

Shave Off Complete:

Gear used:
New Kai blades
Maggard Synthetic

So That's all I've got!

Great shaves my friends!

DB

View attachment 1013742
View attachment 1013743
View attachment 1013744

I’m not sure how to explain it, but I feel like the MF has more “suction” on the shave. The other razor I feel this strongly in is the REX Ambassador. I feel like the HP reduces the “suction.” This to me explains the difference in blade feel and audible feedback as well.

Any thoughts?

Frank, I had asked Matt about that crackling sound and he said it's completely normal. Both the MF ti I had and my current HP ti make that noise when tightening the handle.
I also just loaded a Kai into my HP ti, and it goes on smoothly. You may want to contact Timeless about that.
Thanks for the comparison! You can't really go wrong with either one and it just comes down to your preferred aesthetics and price.

Top Bottom