What's new

The World Shave Off Showdown

R

romsitsa

Hello Frank,

detailed information on Gillette sets is scarce, they didn't advertised what exactly came in the boxes, so I can only rely on my observations.
New De Luxes sets are sometimes packed into a white canvas pouch then into the shipper and finally into a cardboard box. I'd say 50% of De Luxe sets (on the market or shared on forums) have such a pouch. As a protective pouch is not indicated anywhere by Gillette, my logic dictates all high end sets came with such a pouch.
It looks like this:
Gold New Deluxe Big Boy

The same is true for the letter of guarantee, some serial numbered sets have it, others don't, but it makes no sense that Gillette supplied a guarantee only for some of its high end New sets.

The blade case should contain 10 Kroman or New (maybe even blue) blades, there was no further blade pack, sorry for confusion.

At least for me, it's impossible to determine wether a clean razor was used previously (not counting obvious plating damage or dents), if its cleaned and dried after use, it shows no sign of use.

Ps: to add further confusion, your set has instructions, most De Luxe sets doesn't have one. Although it would be logical that all came with one.

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Frank,

detailed information on Gillette sets is scarce, they didn't advertised what exactly came in the boxes, so I can only rely on my observations.
New De Luxes sets are sometimes packed into a white canvas pouch then into the shipper and finally into a cardboard box. I'd say 50% of De Luxe sets (on the market or shared on forums) have such a pouch. As a protective pouch is not indicated anywhere by Gillette, my logic dictates all high end sets came with such a pouch.
It looks like this:
Gold New Deluxe Big Boy

The same is true for the letter of guarantee, some serial numbered sets have it, others don't, but it makes no sense that Gillette supplied a guarantee only for some of its high end New sets.

The blade case should contain 10 Kroman or New (maybe even blue) blades, there was no further blade pack, sorry for confusion.

At least for me, it's impossible to determine wether a clean razor was used previously (not counting obvious plating damage or dents), if its cleaned and dried after use, it shows no sign of use.

Ps: to add further confusion, your set has instructions, most De Luxe sets doesn't have one. Although it would be logical that all came with one.

Adam

Thanks Adam for all your input and a lot of what your saying makes sense. I'm coming to the conclusion that the New Deluxe set I have was used. Probably as you stated either a few times or it was cleaned very well after each use. I mean men of this day weren't the only ones that had OCD! It's obvious whomever owned this one didn't use it daily.
I feel better about using it in the next Shave Off so thanks again for the info!

:a14:

Shave Off complete:

Gillette SC vs Gillette RFB

So as I mentioned before I wanted to run the 3 razors. The Gillette New Deluxe, Gillette RFB and Gillette SC so for the first Shave Off I paired up the SC vs the RFB and what a excellent Shave Off it was! Sometimes I think we forget with all these modern artisan razor hitting the market all the time that there are some awesome shaving vintage razors that are in some cases very reasonable priced when compared to a modern razor. So the Gillette SC I have is on the handle it came with and I'm not sure if it's the original but the razor itself is fairly light weight. The RFB I have had the ball end handle on it and honestly I've never liked those so I had this Tiban Ti handle lying around and for me it works really well with the head. I'm no historian so I'll leave that to the experts as far as history and razor specs etc. if they chime in. All I'm trying to find out is how these two razors compare in 2 passes using my SSSST and what kind of characteristics do they exhibit.

I decided to do a standard WTG and ATG pass and not doing any buffing at all. I didn't use Feathers which is usually my first choice but rather I used some Polsilvers which I haven't used in a while. Decided to use Proraso white for this shave and the Declaration Grooming Fan shave brush that @Sharp_Obsession Jared sent me to try out which I'm liking and since I do a lot of painting when using Proraso the big fan was perfect!

Gear used:
Gillette RFB
Gillette SC
Proraso White shave cream
Proraso White aftershave lotion
Polsilver blades
Declaration fan shave brush

1st pass WTG - I decided to start on right side of my face for the first WTG pass using the RFB. I was on only 2 days growth but my beard grows quickly so a good bit of stubble to cut down. The RFB went right at them to as I made my way N to S and it's been a while but this is one smooth yet efficient razor! I love the small head and it was excellent around my mouth and under my nose. Blade feel is very mild but the audible feedback is loud enough to hear throughout the shave as long as you don't have the water running or your blasting Led Zeppelin on the radio. The razor felt very manuverable to me and I don't know if the Ti handle helped that or not but it was very easy to maneuver around my face. Finished the pass and an excellent one for sure! To continue downward I grabbed the SC and after only like 2 or 3 strokes it was clear to me that this razor has a bit more blade feel which is not a bad thing but it was there. Unfortunately the SC got my right side neck with it's bad cowlick and weird beard growth to take down but I have to say it did a good job of mowing down my 2 days of growth on the first pass. So another excellent pass. With the SC in hand I wanted to see how it felt on my face so over to the left side and the trip N to S pass. Well the razor was up to the task and although it has a bit more blade feel as I stated before it is by no means harsh in any way. I played with the blade rigidity after I loaded the blades in and the SC definitely hold the blade more rigid than the RFB if that means anything to you as a shaver. Had another excellent pass and picked up the RFB to do the last WTG pass and with my left side of my neck a lot more cooperative than my right side so the RFB took down my growth without any drama whatsoever! One more excellent pass in round 1 of this Shave Off.

2nd pass ATG - Taking the SC to the base of my right side neck I used my hand towel to get a good skin stretch and started my journey N going ATG and this Short come was pretty much singing the same song as it did on the 1st pass. Not loud but not soft. Blade feel did seem a little less than on the 1st pass and it seemed as it was taking down whatever stubble was left from the 1st pass. Got up to right under my jawline and picked up the RFB and continued upwards and there was a immediate difference in blade feel and smoothness between the RFB and the SC with the RFB being the smoother. Also I'll note the RFB was more manuverable and I'm not sure if it's because I have a Titanium handle under it but it was noticeable within a few strokes. I had no problems going ATG under my nose which not all razors are good at and it was very smooth yet efficient both on my chin and around my mouth. Excellent pass and in face this was the best pass of the entire Shave Off for me. With the RFB in hand I went over to the base of my neck on my left side and started my ATG pass S to N and once again this razor was just hitting on all cylinders for me and it provided another terrific pass! I grabbed the SC to shave my face and on my cheeks it was great and probably the best pass for the SC but it was not as good going ATG under my nose and so I switched to XTG both ways to get rid of the stubble that was left. Around my lower mouth and chin I had no problems and all and all other than under my nose it was a very good pass!

Post Shave:

Rinsed with warm then cold water then headed for the fridge for my iced cold splash of Thayers unscented. Came back and cleaned my gear while my face was drying. Right before it was dry I used some of the Proraso Aftershave lotion which is still my favorite lotion. It's light and not like a balm which sometimes I find to heavy on my face!

Summary:

Since this is the " Smoothest Shaver " Shave Off I'm going to go to the scoring system to get a winner of this Shave Off.

Scoring System:

Gillette SC

1. Smoothness = 48 1/2 points
2. Efficiency = 17 points
3. Balance = 8 points
4. Maneuverability = 3 1/2 points
5. Glide = 4 points

Total score = 81 points

Gillette RFB

1. Smoothness = 50 points
3. Balance = 8 points
4. Maneuverability = 4 points
5. Glide = 4 points

Total score = 83 points

So the Gillett RFB takes this one as it was noticeably smoother and a bit more manuverable at least in this configuration. With that said the efficiency was almost identical. I got a Level 2 BBS on my face with the exception of a couple of areas on my chin and lower jawline which were BBS level 1's and both sides of my neck were also BBS Level 1's with the exception of an area under my ear on my right side where it was also a Level 2 BBS which is were the RFB shaved. For those that are wondering this sounds like it was a close one..I can say believe me it was very close! If this was based on efficiency alone I'd have to call this one a tie.

So next up is the RFB will take on the New Deluxe Big boy which BTW is a NIB Chromium one and I'm not sure it's ever been used. I sold my other 2 New Deluxes as I've been thinning out my den and having 3 of the same razor was just to much! Anyway looking forward to taking the ND on its maiden voyage.

Great shaves my friends!

DB

View attachment 974189

View attachment 974190

View attachment 974188

I think it's important to note whenever a New variant is tested that particularly in later production Gillette was all over the place with caps, with as many as seven different caps purported to have been issued.

When it comes to the Short Comb New there is only one bespoke cap, pictured on the left here. It only fits the SC, where the cap on the right (from a Red and Black set) works just as well on the Long Comb. I think your cap is the one on the right.

I think you would agree caps make a difference, changing as they do both angle and rigidity. I'm not suggesting the outcome of your shave off would have been different with the other cap, but it's certainly possible. The point really is that any Short Comb is not just like any other.
IMG_20190422_074319-01.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

R

romsitsa

:clap:
Doesn't matter how rare or beautiful, these are tools intended to be used, imho. Some stubble and soap won't hurt it.

Adam

I think it's important to note whenever a New variant is tested that particularly in later production Gillette was all over the place with caps, with as many as seven different caps purported to have been issued.

When it comes to the Short Comb New there is only one bespoke cap, pictured on the left here. It only fits the SC, where the cap on the right (from a Red and Black set) works just as well on the Long Comb. I think your cap is the one on the right.

I think you would agree caps make a difference, changing as they do both angle and rigidity. I'm not suggesting the outcome of your shave off would have been different with the other cap, but it's certainly possible. The point really is that any Short Comb is not just like any other.
View attachment 974536

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I get your point. Gillette had a habit of changing a lot of things. Top caps are sure one of them. Aristocrats surely exhibit differences even if they are the same model. Maybe a different cap may have made a difference in this Shave Off but the way I look at it is all I can use is what I have available to me and share my experience and opinions on the shave I got using both these fine razors. I did test the rigidity of the top cap baseplate combo on both razors and there was a significant difference between the SC and the RFB with the SC hold the blade quite a bit more rigid than the RFB. The Shaves I got from these two were almost mirror images of one another with the exception of smoothness and maneuverability and that may have been nullified if I had the original handle on the RFB which I don't care for. It was that close! I tend to dissect these Shave Offs down to the slightest nuances and differences that each razor exhibits so when Shave Offs are this close people should basically think that they can't go wrong with either razor. Both razors will stay in my den as I enjoy them both.
Thanks for the info btw!

Frank it seems “the board” has given you plenty of reasons to use your NOS specimen and most of all we value your opinions on its attributes. So as we’ve spoken in the past ... go for it.

Best of luck

Frank it seems “the board” has given you plenty of reasons to use your NOS specimen and most of all we value your opinions on its attributes. So as we’ve spoken in the past ... go for it.

Best of luck

I'm going to take it for a spin in the next Shave Off.. just need another days growth or it won't be much of a challenge for either razor. LOL

Shave Off Complete:

Gillette RFB vs Gillette New Deluxe Big Boy

This was an extremely close Shave Off and I definitely need to sleep on this one before writing my report.

Any predictions gentlemen?

I'm rooting for the Big Boy but think the RFB will take it on smoothness.

I have not shave with either, so my opinion is worth practically nothing.

Sorry guys it’s taken so long to post results just got a little overwhelmed with some documents I had to get in on a project I’m working on so between that and work I’ve had no time. Should have it up sometime tomorrow and this was a memorable Shave Off for me.

Thanks gentlemen for your patience!

DB

Sorry guys it’s taken so long to post results just got a little overwhelmed with some documents I had to get in on a project I’m working on so between that and work I’ve had no time. Should have it up sometime tomorrow and this was a memorable Shave Off for me.

DB
If anyone is impatient for your latest results, it is because your write-ups are so well done, they have so much great information and are a real pleasure to read. Please take your time, we understand, we all have other priorities. Thank you again for all your time and effort to our hobby.

If anyone is impatient for your latest results, it is because your write-ups are so well done, they have so much great information and are a real pleasure to read. Please take your time, we understand, we all have other priorities. Thank you again for all your time and effort to our hobby.
Thank you sir! It sure has been a crazy week! I finally have the time to do the write up on the last Shave Off which I'm working on right now.

DB

Life happens! Sir, we await the outcome! :a21::a21:

Shave Off Report:

Gillette New Deluxe Big Boy Chromium vs Gillette RFB

Well before I get into this report I'd like to apologize for taking so long to write this report up! The short of it is I've been working on 2 seperate projects along with my regular business and it seems like I've been breathing and sleeping these 2 projects trying to meet deadlines. Anyway that's the short story.
This Shave Off was a special one to me as I've read numerous threads and posts on the rivalry between these two razors and their fans. Sometimes the back and forth rhetoric would get real intense and sometimes it was just plain funny viewing it as an outsider. The technical and structural dissection of the two razors by owners and fans is amazing and I'm in no way an expert on these two razors. So I won't try to go into detail. All I'll say is if you look at the baseplates of these two razors the New Deluxe as opposed to the NE SC or LC has a flat baseplate on the underside and the RFB has a raised section of the baseplate that is also different than the other New's that have the ridge that runs along the baseplate. I'm sure some with more knowledge than myself can explain it in more detail. For me it's all about how they shave on my face and how they compared when used in a side by side Shave Off on 3 days growth. I will also note this is the " Smoothest Razor " Shave Off and both of these razors were on the list. I just choose to run them and the SC in succession until I got a winning razor which will be the one that gave me the smoothest shave out of the 3. The SC was eliminated by the RFB so now it's down to the RFB and NDBB and which one will move on to the next round!

So I already posted photos of my boxed and cased New Deluxe Big Boy Chromium in a former post asking if I should take it out of the case and use it! Well as you can see it's out and in use and I'm glad I kept this New Deluxe out of the 3 I had. I have other razors that can cover the Smoothness and efficiency of this razor so it won't be in my rotation but it will stay in my den and I'll add in person it's just absolutely like brand new! Not a flaw in it that I can see and trust me my stinky photos don't do this razor justice. There is something about a chrome razor that is just striking! The RFB as I've stated before is also in very nice shape and because I didn't like the stock handle I paired it up with a Tiban Titanium handle and for me this razor/handle combo exhibits almost perfect balance so I'm glad I got this particular handle. This razor stays in my rack and it's definitely a razor that I pull out as it's a user for sure and also one that's also staying in my den. I will also say that these 2 are some of my favorite Gillette razors and I will also give props to the SC which is also in my rack.

I decided to do my usual 2 pass WTG and ATG pass using my SSSST as I know pretty much what each razor is capable of delivering shave wise in 2 passes when used individually and when evaluation smoothness I don't really see a reason to do more passes as I can normally get a really good read on them especially when going ATG. I went all Declaration Grooming in this Shave using Bandwagon Shave Soap and Aftershave and a DG shave brush that was kindly lent to me by @Sharp_Obsession Jared which I really like! I've been wanting to try and Fan and a smaller knot than I normally use and I like it a lot. Great for painting the lather on which I've been doing more of lately. Used Polsilver blades in this Shave Off which are one of my 3 favorite DE blades and they worked out great! The Bandwagon soap also performed very good giving me nice thick slick lather. So let's get to the Shave Off.

Gear used:
Gillette New Deluxe Chromium Big Boy
Gillette RFB
Declaration Grooming Shave soap and aftershave
Declaration Grooming 24mm knot
Polsilver razor blade
Dirtybird shave bowl

1st Pass WTG - Well I started with the RFB on my right side of my face which is more difficult than my left and I figured I'd give the ND the more difficult right side of my neck. I started my N to S pass using the RFB and the balance of this razor as I mentioned with this Tiban handle is just wonderful. It also made a big difference in maneuverability compared to the stock handle and I got to say I really like this razor a lot! It's so easy to shave with and it's kind of deceptive in its efficiency! Yes there is some blade feel but it's almost like it's constantly at a low to mid level which it maintains throughout the shave which I like and I think it would help those that need that to know if their angle is spot on. For me this razor is not like a WR1 or a Tech where it has a tiny sweet spot so it's easy to find the angle. It had no problem mowing down a really good amount of my growth on the 1st pass. Around my mouth and under my nose this razor with it's small head profile is a pleasure to use and what an excellent pass! So I finish the face area and move down to the neck on my right side with the NDBB and this razor is 10 grams heavier than the RFB but still only 86 grams so not a heavyweight at all. It is instantaneous that you feel that the BB has more blade feel than the RFB but not remotely harsh in any way. It sliced through my nasty cowlick with no hesitation and again the blade angle is not hard to find at all. Audible feedback is mid level and I'm not sure if it's the fact it's got a Chrome finish on it but it had a unique sound and somewhat familiar to my Wolfman SS WR1.94....just an observation for anyone interested. I was thinking back on the many shaves that I had with my gold New Deluxe Big Boy, Gun coated one and another one a member had sent me a while back that was normal length New Deluxe and for some reason this particular razor just feels different than the others and in a good way. Smoother and more efficient is what I'm feeling and I have no explanation why! I finished up another excellent pass and moved over with the BB to just south of my left sideburn to begin my N to S pass with the NDBB. Again more blade feel than the RFB when comparing the sides of my face and how the razors felt up to this point in the Shave Off. This is my predictable easier side of my face to shave so the BB made short work of the 3 days growth and I did notice one thing on this pass while I was using it. I tended to skin stretch a bit more aggressively with the BB than with the RFB which usually is a sign of efficiency but I could be wrong but we will see. One more excellent pass and on to my left side neck with the RFB and the change of both weight is noticed immediately but has no effect on the shave just a mention for those that care. A very easy razor to read like a well balanced sports car on a track as it talks back to me with a nicely toned voice. Finished the pass rather quickly and I gotta say I'm impressed when I get 4 excellent passes out of two razors in the same shave like I'm getting with these two! Rinsed and lathered up again for the next ATG pass.

2nd pass ATG - Well you know I have to get out my trusty hand towel for a good skin stretch at the base of my neck on my right side with the NDBB in hand and using the SSSST and taking inch and a half strokes this razor was leaving no survivors as the hairs seem to run for cover under my skin! Take that the Big Boy was saying as I rode it up my neck to right under my jawline and I'll note no drama on my adams apple just smoothly went right over it. Blade feel was there but it had diminished just like my growth had and the audible feedback was a more mellow song it was singing. Another excellent pass! I couldn't wait to take the RFB up my more difficult right side of my face on the ATG pass and see if anything changed. Well no way this razor rocked it on this pass! Smooth and yet it was also sending my whiskers running for cover! I will also note I went ATG under my nose and it was so smooth I was actually quite surprised. I have to say I think the Polsilver and this razor get along real well. Around my mouth and on my chin the razor was a champ and I thought to myself maybe I should do a reverse ATG pass and see where it takes me but then I was like no stick to the plan and so I finished up with the last pass on my right side and it must be getting boring to read but yes another excellent pass from the RFB! I took the RFB to the base of my neck on my left side and started my S to N pass and this pass was a freakin breaze, butter smooth and what little stubble might have been left from the WTG pass was being taken down with almost deadly silence! Audible feedback on that pass was at the lowest level of the entire Shave off on that pass and at this point I'm wondering would a Feather behave like this in this razor like the Polsilver did? A reason to revisit this Shave Off one day. Well we are batting 100% as far as excellent passes with only one left! So I grabbed the New Deluxe and started my S to N ATG pass at my jawline. The BB sings a louder song on this pass than the RFB and maintains a decent amount of blade feel as I mentioned before that was pretty consistent throughout the Shave Off. On my cheeks and chin this razor was exhibiting it's efficiency abilities as it once again sent the stubble crawling for cover! I did an ATG pass under my nose like I did with the RFB but it took shorter strokes and a little more focus than the RFB did as it was talking back to me a little louder than on any other part of my face on this pass. Did a bit more aggressive skin stretching under my nose and on the sides of my mouth on this pass with the BB but once again ended up with another excellent pass so that's a 100% score on excellent passes! That does not happen to often so this was a stellar Shave Off in my books!

Post shave:

Rinsed with warm then cold water and used some iced cold Thayers and cleaned my gear as it was drying. Splashed on some of the Bandwagon Aftershave and I was feeling on top of the world! Let that dry as I got dressed so I could go back and evaluate the shave and do a cotton test as this Shave Off deserved my utmost attention in my opinion.

Summary:

I did a face feel with my hands and it was like wow in only 2 passes I'm feeling like I may have hit a Level 2 BBS with both these razors so I pulled out the cotton and made my normal pad out of a cotton ball and I went in all directions and I must say my hand feel evaluation was spot on. Both razors gave me a solid level 2 BBS shave in all areas of my face and neck. I thought to myself if this was an efficiency Shave Off I'd have to wait probably at least 10 hrs or so and hope a winner would emerge when the stubble started to show up. Well as you all know because I didn't have time to do the write up immediately after the Shave Off I was able to get a good read on which razor gave me the longest lasting BBS shave and it was still very, very close but the New Deluxe was just a little more efficient as it had sent my whiskers farther below the surface of my skin and the stubble started to show up after about 14 hrs after the Shave Off on the RFB areas whereas it was almost 15 and a half hrs before I had similar growth to what I had when I first felt the stubble showing up where the RFB shaved. So if this were a efficiency Shave Off I'd have to give the win to the New Deluxe Big Boy by a little bit but it was more efficient and I could feel it even more so on the ATG pass. I'm gonna say this was still very close and I'd say there is no real efficiency loser here as they both gave me a wonderful long lasting BBS Level 2 Shave with all excellent passes. Now we have to go to the scoring system for the " Smoothest Razor " final score.

Scoring System:

1. Smoothness = 49 points
2. Efficiency = 18 points
3. Balance = 7 1/2 points
5. Glide = 4 points

Total score = 82 points

Gillette RFB

1. Smoothness = 51 points
3. Balance = 8 1/2 points
5. Glide = 4 points

Total score = 83 1/2 points

So based on the overall score the winner of the " Smoothest Razor " in this Shave Off was the RFB! So a big congrats on the win! So the efficiency winner didn't win this Shave Off. It was the smoothest razor that did.

I'd like to add to anyone thinking about acquiring either of these fine vintage Gillette razors you cannot go wrong with either razor! One a little more efficient and one a little bit smoother but oh so close! Price wise an RFB can be had for less money usually as New Deluxes are harder to find and especially in Chromium and a nice or mint set will command quite a bit of money. I know what my mint Gold set sold for and this set would surpass it by a good margin I'd imagine. I've heard the RFB Big Fellow Chromium is a rare one but haven't seen one listed up anywhere so not sure what kind of money that would bring. A lot I’m sure. So user grade may be the best value in either razor.
I love my modern razors but man these vintage razors have so much mojo going for them and they just provided me with a memorable shave experience! Both great razors in my books!

Great Shaves my friends!

DB

C2DB53B0-AA78-47BB-B2DE-9CB0F0C620F1.jpeg

51267ECE-0EB0-44A6-A0D1-7239E8C1E11E.jpeg

3F75B39D-4BE0-4571-B9DA-CB60146DA377.jpeg

EBF104B5-6181-4E8E-9514-73C9D1DCD785.jpeg

Last edited:
Shave Off Report:

Gillette New Deluxe Big Boy Chromium vs Gillette RFB

Well before I get into this report I'd like to apologize for taking so long to write this report up! The short of it is I've been working on 2 seperate projects along with my regular business and it seems like I've been breathing and sleeping these 2 projects trying to meet deadlines. Anyway that's the short story.
This Shave Off was a special one to me as I've read numerous threads and posts on the rivalry between these two razors and their fans. Sometimes the back and forth rhetoric would get real intense and sometimes it was just plain funny viewing it as an outsider. The technical and structural dissection of the two razors by owners and fans is amazing and I'm in no way an expert on these two razors. So I won't try to go into detail. All I'll say is if you look at the baseplates of these two razors the New Deluxe as opposed to the NE SC or LC has a flat baseplate on the underside and the RFB has a raised section of the baseplate that is also different than the other New's that have the ridge that runs along the baseplate. I'm sure some with more knowledge than myself can explain it in more detail. For me it's all about how they shave on my face and how they compared when used in a side by side Shave Off on 3 days growth. I will also note this is the " Smoothest Razor " Shave Off and both of these razors were on the list. I just choose to run them and the SC in succession until I got a winning razor which will be the one that gave me the smoothest shave out of the 3. The SC was eliminated by the RFB so now it's down to the RFB and NDBB and which one will move on to the next round!

So I already posted photos of my boxed and cased New Deluxe Big Boy Chromium in a former post asking if I should take it out of the case and use it! Well as you can see it's out and in use and I'm glad I kept this New Deluxe out of the 3 I had. I have other razors that can cover the Smoothness and efficiency of this razor so it won't be in my rotation but it will stay in my den and I'll add in person it's just absolutely like brand new! Not a flaw in it that I can see and trust me my stinky photos don't do this razor justice. There is something about a chrome razor that is just striking! The RFB as I've stated before is also in very nice shape and because I didn't like the stock handle I paired it up with a Tiban Titanium handle and for me this razor/handle combo exhibits almost perfect balance so I'm glad I got this particular handle. This razor stays in my rack and it's definitely a razor that I pull out as it's a user for sure and also one that's also staying in my den. I will also say that these 2 are some of my favorite Gillette razors and I will also give props to the SC which is also in my rack.

I decided to do my usual 2 pass WTG and ATG pass using my SSSST as I know pretty much what each razor is capable of delivering shave wise in 2 passes when used individually and when evaluation smoothness I don't really see a reason to do more passes as I can normally get a really good read on them especially when going ATG. I went all Declaration Grooming in this Shave using Bandwagon Shave Soap and Aftershave and a DG shave brush that was kindly lent to me by @Sharp_Obsession Jared which I really like! I've been wanting to try and Fan and a smaller knot than I normally use and I like it a lot. Great for painting the lather on which I've been doing more of lately. Used Polsilver blades in this Shave Off which are one of my 3 favorite DE blades and they worked out great! The Bandwagon soap also performed very good giving me nice thick slick lather. So let's get to the Shave Off.

Gear used:
Gillette RFB
Declaration Grooming Shave soap and aftershave
Declaration Grooming 24mm knot
Polsilver razor blade
Dirtybird shave bowl

1st Pass WTG - Well I started with the RFB on my right side of my face which is more difficult than my left and I figured I'd give the ND the more difficult right side of my neck. I started my N to S pass using the RFB and the balance of this razor as I mentioned with this Tiban handle is just wonderful. It also made a big difference in maneuverability compared to the stock handle and I got to say I really like this razor a lot! It's so easy to shave with and it's kind of deceptive in its efficiency! Yes there is some blade feel but it's almost like it's constantly at a low to mid level which it maintains throughout the shave which I like and I think it would help those that need that to know if their angle is spot on. For me this razor is not like a WR1 or a Tech where it has a tiny sweet spot so it's easy to find the angle. It had no problem mowing down a really good amount of my growth on the 1st pass. Around my mouth and under my nose this razor with it's small head profile is a pleasure to use and what an excellent pass! So I finish the face area and move down to the neck on my right side with the NDBB and this razor is 10 grams heavier than the RFB but still only 86 grams so not a heavyweight at all. It is instantaneous that you feel that the BB has more blade feel than the RFB but not remotely harsh in any way. It sliced through my nasty cowlick with no hesitation and again the blade angle is not hard to find at all. Audible feedback is mid level and I'm not sure if it's the fact it's got a Chrome finish on it but it had a unique sound and somewhat familiar to my Wolfman SS WR1.94....just an observation for anyone interested. I was thinking back on the many shaves that I had with my gold New Deluxe Big Boy, Gun coated one and another one a member had sent me a while back that was normal length New Deluxe and for some reason this particular razor just feels different than the others and in a good way. Smoother and more efficient is what I'm feeling and I have no explanation why! I finished up another excellent pass and moved over with the BB to just south of my left sideburn to begin my N to S pass with the NDBB. Again more blade feel than the RFB when comparing the sides of my face and how the razors felt up to this point in the Shave Off. This is my predictable easier side of my face to shave so the BB made short work of the 3 days growth and I did notice one thing on this pass while I was using it. I tended to skin stretch a bit more aggressively with the BB than with the RFB which usually is a sign of efficiency but I could be wrong but we will see. One more excellent pass and on to my left side neck with the RFB and the change of both weight is noticed immediately but has no effect on the shave just a mention for those that care. A very easy razor to read like a well balanced sports car on a track as it talks back to me with a nicely toned voice. Finished the pass rather quickly and I gotta say I'm impressed when I get 4 excellent passes out of two razors in the same shave like I'm getting with these two! Rinsed and lathered up again for the next ATG pass.

2nd pass ATG - Well you know I have to get out my trusty hand towel for a good skin stretch at the base of my neck on my right side with the NDBB in hand and using the SSSST and taking inch and a half strokes this razor was leaving no survivors as the hairs seem to run for cover under my skin! Take that the Big Boy was saying as I rode it up my neck to right under my jawline and I'll note no drama on my adams apple just smoothly went right over it. Blade feel was there but it had diminished just like my growth had and the audible feedback was a more mellow song it was singing. Another excellent pass! I couldn't wait to take the RFB up my more difficult right side of my face on the ATG pass and see if anything changed. Well no way this razor rocked it on this pass! Smooth and yet it was also sending my whiskers running for cover! I will also note I went ATG under my nose and it was so smooth I was actually quite surprised. I have to say I think the Polsilver and this razor get along real well. Around my mouth and on my chin the razor was a champ and I thought to myself maybe I should do a reverse ATG pass and see where it takes me but then I was like no stick to the plan and so I finished up with the last pass on my right side and it must be getting boring to read but yes another excellent pass from the RFB! I took the RFB to the base of my neck on my left side and started my S to N pass and this pass was a freakin breaze, butter smooth and what little stubble might have been left from the WTG pass was being taken down with almost deadly silence! Audible feedback on that pass was at the lowest level of the entire Shave off on that pass and at this point I'm wondering would a Feather behave like this in this razor like the Polsilver did? A reason to revisit this Shave Off one day. Well we are batting 100% as far as excellent passes with only one left! So I grabbed the New Deluxe and started my S to N ATG pass at my jawline. The BB sings a louder song on this pass than the RFB and maintains a decent amount of blade feel as I mentioned before that was pretty consistent throughout the Shave Off. On my cheeks and chin this razor was exhibiting it's efficiency abilities as it once again sent the stubble crawling for cover! I did an ATG pass under my nose like I did with the RFB but it took shorter strokes and a little more focus than the RFB did as it was talking back to me a little louder than on any other part of my face on this pass. Did a bit more aggressive skin stretching under my nose and on the sides of my mouth on this pass with the BB but once again ended up with another excellent pass so that's a 100% score on excellent passes! That does not happen to often so this was a stellar Shave Off in my books!

Post shave:

Rinsed with warm then cold water and used some iced cold Thayers and cleaned my gear as it was drying. Splashed on some of the Bandwagon Aftershave and I was feeling on top of the world! Let that dry as I got dressed so I could go back and evaluate the shave and do a cotton test as this Shave Off deserved my utmost attention in my opinion.

Summary:

I did a face feel with my hands and it was like wow in only 2 passes I'm feeling like I may have hit a Level 2 BBS with both these razors so I pulled out the cotton and made my normal pad out of a cotton ball and I went in all directions and I must say my hand feel evaluation was spot on. Both razors gave me a solid level 2 BBS shave in all areas of my face and neck. I thought to myself if this was an efficiency Shave Off I'd have to wait probably at least 10 hrs or so and hope a winner would emerge when the stubble started to show up. Well as you all know because I didn't have time to do the write up immediately after the Shave Off I was able to get a good read on which razor gave me the longest lasting BBS shave and it was still very, very close but the New Deluxe was just a little more efficient as it had sent my whiskers farther below the surface of my skin and the stubble started to show up after about 14 hrs after the Shave Off on the RFB areas whereas it was almost 15 and a half hrs before I had similar growth to what I had when I first felt the stubble showing up where the RFB shaved. So if this were a efficiency Shave Off I'd have to give the win to the New Deluxe Big Boy by a little bit but it was more efficient and I could feel it even more so on the ATG pass. I'm gonna say this was still very close and I'd say there is no real efficiency loser here as they both gave me a wonderful long lasting BBS Level 2 Shave with all excellent passes. Now we have to go to the scoring system for the " Smoothest Razor " final score.

Scoring System:

1. Smoothness = 49 points
2. Efficiency = 18 points
3. Balance = 7 1/2 points
5. Glide = 4 points

Total score = 82 points

Gillette RFB

1. Smoothness = 51 points
3. Balance = 8 1/2 points
5. Glide = 4 points

Total score = 83 1/2 points

So based on the overall score the winner of the " Smoothest Razor " in this Shave Off was the RFB! So a big congrats on the win! So the efficiency winner didn't win this Shave Off. It was the smoothest razor that did.

I'd like to add to anyone thinking about acquiring either of these fine vintage Gillette razors you cannot go wrong with either razor! One a little more efficient and one a little bit smoother but oh so close! Price wise an RFB can be had for less money usually as New Deluxes are harder to find and especially in Chromium and a nice or mint set will command quite a bit of money. I know what my mint Gold set sold for and this set would surpass it by a good margin I'd imagine. I've heard the RFB Big Fellow Chromium is a rare one but haven't seen one listed up anywhere so not sure what kind of money that would bring. A lot I’m sure. So user grade may be the best value in either razor.
I love my modern razors but man these vintage razors have so much mojo going for them and they just provided me with a memorable shave experience! Both great razors in my books!

Great Shaves my friends!

DB

View attachment 976058

View attachment 976064
View attachment 976063
View attachment 976065

WOW!! The most efficient razor lost!! Two tough competitors!! :punk::punk:

Top Bottom