What's new

The World Shave Off Showdown

My friend if you really think about it why not? This Shave Off is about the smoothness that a razor exhibits when you shave with it. Efficiency is a part of the equation in the scoring system i came up with as well as maneuverability etc So in theory pairing up any razor is fine. I did set up 3 categories with the Adjustable's being one. Some unknowns being the 2nd and some that have reputations as very smooth razors being in the 3rd category. Once through the first two I’ll move the winners to the 3rd or last category and keep going till I find a winner.

It’s obvious that some razors have an advantage over others in efficiency but again that was a Shave Off we already did.

As always I appreciate and welcome your comments and feedback

I love the photography the best regarding your shave offs. I can't help but sense/see the bias you have toward certain brands and models, but that's okay. This isn't scientific research where you would/could be blinded. I've often been curious if you or anyone else do a shave off didn't know which razor or blade they were using. What the results would be. It might result in a Super Speed beating a Wolfman or a Krona beating an Aristocrat. Who knows, really?. Please continue. I to enjoy the show as always, my friend.

I love the photography the best regarding your shave offs. I can't help but sense/see the bias you have toward certain brands and models, but that's okay. This isn't scientific research where you would/could be blinded. I've often been curious if you or anyone else do a shave off didn't know which razor or blade they were using. What the results would be. It might result in a Super Speed beating a Wolfman or a Krona beating an Aristocrat. Who knows, really?. Please continue. I to enjoy the show as always, my friend.

I’m glad you like the photos. Personally I think I stink at taking photos or I guess you can say I’m never that happy with them.

On the subject of bias maybe I’m failing at writing up these reviews because I try to be as neutral as possible going into each and every Shave Off I do. Do I sometimes have personal favorites going into a Shave Off? Yes of course. It would be difficult not to especially if you’ve shaved with that razor many, many times and you really like it and know it well. For example in this last Shave Off. I know and like them both very well and I stated before the Shave Off I prefer the Fatboy to the Slim for the overall shave experience but not by much. So in the Shave Off that opinion was not changed. I’ve had other Shave Offs where I’ve gone into it liking one of the two razors ( because I own it and know it ) but it’s put up against a razor that a member has sent me that I’ve never shaved with and it surprises me and wins the Shave Off. So if I’m exhibiting bias then I’m not going doing my job reporting on the Shave Off as I try my best to not be bias towards one razor over another.

Also I’ll say do the “ Most Efficient Razor “ Shave Off was certainly much easier than this “ Smoothest Razor “ Shave Off. The subtly in differences between two razors sometimes is so little it’s takes being 100% focused during the whole shave and looking or hearing for that certain something that is the reason I make my final decision and call a winner or in a few cases a tie!

Also I’ll add that once in a while when I get a request from a member or members to pair up 2 razors that I know very well and probably would have not paired up with the other razor because I already know which one will probably win then it’s hard not to be honest all the way through the Shave Off which you and some others my call me being bias on that Shave Off but to be clear that is not my intention or my attitude going into a Shave Off!

Oh and I’d be glad to do the blind test anytime not knowing what razor or blade I’m using although that would be challenging as I know a lot of my razors very well just by feel.

One thing that I’d like you to keep in mind or anyone else that may be thinking my evaluations are bias please remember that using my SSSST changes the dynamics of any razor I’ve ever used from the mildest to the most efficient/aggressive razor. Also I can only report on how a particular razor works on my face! So essentially this whole thread is about one mans opinion.

Also to be clear I’m not offended or taken back nor upset with you by the “ bias statement ‘ but I wanted to clarify my feelings and position and respond to your comment.

I’m glad you like the photos. Personally I think I stink at taking photos or I guess you can say I’m never that happy with them.

On the subject of bias maybe I’m failing at writing up these reviews because I try to be as neutral as possible going into each and every Shave Off I do. Do I sometimes have personal favorites going into a Shave Off? Yes of course. It would be difficult not to especially if you’ve shaved with that razor many, many times and you really like it and know it well. For example in this last Shave Off. I know and like them both very well and I stated before the Shave Off I prefer the Fatboy to the Slim for the overall shave experience but not by much. So in the Shave Off that opinion was not changed. I’ve had other Shave Offs where I’ve gone into it liking one of the two razors ( because I own it and know it ) but it’s put up against a razor that a member has sent me that I’ve never shaved with and it surprises me and wins the Shave Off. So if I’m exhibiting bias then I’m not going doing my job reporting on the Shave Off as I try my best to not be bias towards one razor over another.

Also I’ll say do the “ Most Efficient Razor “ Shave Off was certainly much easier than this “ Smoothest Razor “ Shave Off. The subtly in differences between two razors sometimes is so little it’s takes being 100% focused during the whole shave and looking or hearing for that certain something that is the reason I make my final decision and call a winner or in a few cases a tie!

Also I’ll add that once in a while when I get a request from a member or members to pair up 2 razors that I know very well and probably would have not paired up with the other razor because I already know which one will probably win then it’s hard not to be honest all the way through the Shave Off which you and some others my call me being bias on that Shave Off but to be clear that is not my intention or my attitude going into a Shave Off!

Oh and I’d be glad to do the blind test anytime not knowing what razor or blade I’m using although that would be challenging as I know a lot of my razors very well just by feel.

One thing that I’d like you to keep in mind or anyone else that may be thinking my evaluations are bias please remember that using my SSSST changes the dynamics of any razor I’ve ever used from the mildest to the most efficient/aggressive razor. Also I can only report on how a particular razor works on my face! So essentially this whole thread is about one mans opinion.

Also to be clear I’m not offended or taken back nor upset with you by the “ bias statement ‘ but I wanted to clarify my feelings and position and respond to your comment.

You are good guy/friend and thank you for taking my bias comments as made. I mean no harm. Objectivity is a challenge. For me bias is not a bad word. It's part of who we are.

A blinded shave off would be better, but it would require first that you didn't know which razors were being compared and secondly you were blinded by having the handles taped or wrapped. There might be a pool of razors so that you knew you would be using a group of four razors, but no idea which.

For example, when you compared the Wolfman recently. Most anyone would be challenged knowing a popular much desired razor was one of two razors being evaluated. Removing your or anyone's knowledge of which was the Wolfman would have allowed them to resist the tendency to favor the favorite.

Frank I believe you do a very good job of reporting what your feeling and experiencing with each razor you use in your comparison. I have done many side by side comparisons myself especially as I am clearing down my collection and I know I could not elaborate my experience as well as you do.

I hope my comments do not cause others to feel there is a need to defend Frank. My comments could be as easily levied at myself because I know I have biases.

I hope my comments do not cause others to feel there is a need to defend Frank. My comments could be as easily levied at myself because I know I have biases.

No issues whatsoever and I get what you are saying and hopefully I’ve explained myself well. Example if I were to take the 2 most efficient razors currently in my den which would be the WR2 SB 1.35 and the Ikon Tech and I was blindfolded and different handles were put on each I’m saying I’d know by both face feel and angle needed and now that I’m thinking about It smoothness and probably maneuverability would be harder to detect if the handles were a whole lot different from the stock handles.
On that note I’m not sure I’d pick the Ikon Tech as my first choice to do a blind test with! Lol

No issues whatsoever and I get what you are saying and hopefully I’ve explained myself well. Example if I were to take the 2 most efficient razors currently in my den which would be the WR2 SB 1.35 and the Ikon Tech and I was blindfolded and different handles were put on each I’m saying I’d know by both face feel and angle needed and now that I’m thinking about It smoothness and probably maneuverability would be harder to detect if the handles were a whole lot different from the stock handles.
On that note I’m not sure I’d pick the Ikon Tech as my first choice to do a blind test with! Lol

Thank you brother and you've well explained yourself. :a50:

Not a defense here and neither a criticism as the prior comments only enhance this thread.

From an experimental design perspective it would be impossible to do a double blinded study here. Perhaps the blades used could be blinded and maybe even the shave soap but not the razor. If the handles were standardized to a third party neutral same one it would change the shave as would some sort of “handle wrap”. Forget the head of the razor.

However we have the same guy using the same technique throughout these months of shaves which, although may add some sort of biases, I would hope that any biases would be consistent, thereby making his reports remarkably consistent for what they are. It’s one dude’s experience using a gazillion razors and since Frank hasn’t changed or altered his techniques over the 10 months of the shave off then there is value in his opinions whether there are biases within them or not.

And to save everyone’s hind side I’ll just remind all YMMV.

Not a defense here and neither a criticism as the prior comments only enhance this thread.

From an experimental design perspective it would be impossible to do a double blinded study here. Perhaps the blades used could be blinded and maybe even the shave soap but not the razor. If the handles were standardized to a third party neutral same one it would change the shave as would some sort of “handle wrap”. Forget the head of the razor.

However we have the same guy using the same technique throughout these months of shaves which, although may add some sort of biases, I would hope that any biases would be consistent, thereby making his reports remarkably consistent for what they are. It’s one dude’s experience using a gazillion razors and since Frank hasn’t changed or altered his techniques over the 10 months of the shave off then there is value in his opinions whether there are biases within them or not.

And to save everyone’s hind side I’ll just remind all YMMV.

Thank you for the kind words AJ and it was fun meeting up with you at the NYC Shave meet on Saturday!

UPDATE: " Smoothest Razor " Shave Off updated list. April 15th 2019

The updated list below you'll see has some new razors added to list of razors that have been in the Shave Off up till we. Also as you see the razors that made it through to the 2nd round are marked in Blue and the razors that were eliminated are marked in Red.

If you'd like to make a suggestion on the next pairing please do. Please pick 2 razors from either the Adjustable or the Contenders category as we will be eventually adding the final 2 razors from each category on into the Favorites category and proceed with the matchups for the next round of Shave Offs until we find a winner.

I'll be doing the next Shave off either tomorrow, As always suggestions are welcome!

Got some Choices:

Only one Adjustable left so it has to go up against another adjustable razor from the razors that have moved on to the 2nd round at some point. If you'd like to see two razors go at it from Category 2 just name some combos and I'll definitely consider your picks.

As of now unless some members come up with a few better match ups I'm leaning towards Putting the Blackland SB up against ether the RFB or the Merkur 34C. Or the Aristocrat 46/47 up against the Aristocrat 1st Gen OC. Remember you have to pick from the razors that are in either the Adjustable category or category 2 that have not had a Shave Off yet. Razors the moved on to the 2nd round are not yet ready until the others left either get eliminated or advances.

Category 1 - Adjustable:

1.Gillette F4 Toggle - On to the 2nd round
2.Gillette Fatboy - On to the 2nd round
3.Gillette Slim - Eliminated
4. Mergress adjustable - Eliminated
5. Gibbs adjustable

Category 2 - Contenders:

1. Gillette New SC - On to the 2nd round
2. Gillette New Deluxe Big Boy - On to the 2nd round
3. Gillette RFB
4. Fatip Grande - Eliminated
3. Gillette Red Tip - Eliminated
5. Gillette 46/47 Aristocrat
6. Gillette 1st Gen 15 OC Aristocrat
7. Gillette 2nd Gen SB Aristocrat - On to the 2nd round
8. Charcoal Goods Level 2 - On to the 2nd round
9. RR Gamechanger with both baseplates.
10. Edwin Jagger DE89 - Eliminated
11. Merkur 34C
12. RazoRock SLOC
13. RazoRock Mamba - On to the 2nd round
14. Blackbird SB
15. Ikon New Deluxe - Eliminated
16. Gillette 1936 Aristocrat - Eliminated

Category 3 - Favorites:

1.Gillette President
2.Gillette 1934 Aristocrat
3.Gillette 48/50 Aristocrat
4.Paradigm 17 4
5. Raw Shaving RS 10 Mild plate
6. Wolfman WR2 .95 SB - Razor was sold so it will not be in this Shave Off unless one is sent to me to add to the list.
7. Timeless .95 SB Titanium ( .68 plate will be used if we can get one )
8. Stahly
8. Karve with a variety of baseplates which I will use the milder E, C or D plate.
9. Gillette Fat handled Tech
10. Paradigm Titanium 11
11. LASSC Wolfman BBS1 - May be joining the Shave Off.

Great Shaves!

DB

Great match up but I predict GC 84 will yield a smoother shave.

You may be right AJ as I’ve only had a few shaves with the SB Blackbird and only 2 with the Gamechanger so I can’t really predict who will go to the next round until I take these two for a spin tomorrow morning.

Thank you for your input!

Great shaves my friend!

Great match up but I predict GC 84 will yield a smoother shave.
Two completely different approaches to blade clamping and rigidity and how they feel and shave depends massively on beard type. No contest for me but let the festivities begin.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Two completely different approaches to blade clamping and rigidity and how they feel and shave depends massively on beard type. No contest for me but let the festivities begin.

It's a shame you couldn't match the .68 vs the .84 GC. Put to bed the rivalry. :D

Well to make a long story short you both got your ways. I thought a member had sent me a GC and I looked for it to do the Shave Off vs the BB and it's nowhere to be found. I sent it back in the last Shave Off after it was eliminated so I'll have to put a different razor up against the BB and I'll do the Shave Off tonight as I spent so much time looking for the GC that now I'm late for work so no shave this morning.

@jmudrick how about a suggestion as to a good match up off the list for the BB SB.

Thanks guys!

Well to make a long story short you both got your ways. I thought a member had sent me a GC and I looked for it to do the Shave Off vs the BB and it's nowhere to be found. I sent it back in the last Shave Off after it was eliminated so I'll have to put a different razor up against the BB and I'll do the Shave Off tonight as I spent so much time looking for the GC that now I'm late for work so no shave this morning.

@jmudrick how about a suggestion as to a good match up off the list for the BB SB.

Thanks guys!
I can't remember what you matched up in the previous showdown, but BB v Timeless 95 seems a natural given how consumers (like me) often are choosing between those two.

Top Bottom