What's new

The Vector is Blacklands best razor.

Resurrecting an old thread in spirit of my recent order of a SS vector SB that should arrive in a couple days. Been enjoying reading everyones thoughts on razor and part of the reason I decided to order it. Wondering if anyones thoughts on it have changed and seemed like the KAI pinks were widely liked. I have the feather pro and proguard on the way also. Should I get some KAI captain milds as well?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@Minimedic , if you can get a variety of AC-format blades to try — at least two of each with more being better because sample sizes — that would be ideal. No one else’s face, neck, noggin, nethers matters unless you’re shaving them, too. I think Kai Captain Titan P!nk Mild (regular and Pro-Touch MG) would be great to include.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
After quite a bit of experimentation, I settled on Feather ProGuards and Kai Captain Protouch Mg blades.... I don't know why the guarded blades work better for my face and whiskers, but they do.. they last longer for me and shave close for me. I use them in an ESC Claymore Evolution and an ATT X1 AC Slant...... both are on the mild side, with the X1 just a half step up from the Claymore Evo.

I do notice @never-stop-learning uses the Kai Captain Protouch MG blades in both his Titanium and Stainless Steel Vectors. They often show up in his photos. I know he uses the other AC blades as well.

After quite a bit of experimentation, I settled on Feather ProGuards and Kai Captain Protouch Mg blades.... I don't know why the guarded blades work better for my face and whiskers, but they do.. they last longer for me and shave close for me. I use them in an ESC Claymore Evolution and an ATT X1 AC Slant...... both are on the mild side, with the X1 just a half step up from the Claymore Evo.

I do notice @never-stop-learning uses the Kai Captain Protouch MG blades in both his Titanium and Stainless Steel Vectors. They often show up in his photos. I know he uses the other AC blades as well.
Happy to report I just finished my first shave with the Vector, I only had 24 hrs of growth but couldn't resist trying it out. I used a feather pro guard because I only needed a mild shave and didn't want to chance any irritation. Wow! is all I can say. Definitely different experience from the bird. It felt safer than the bird while also shaving nearly as close. I feel that im going to have a hard time deciding which one to grab in mornings.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

The Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG and Schick Proline P are my favored AC blades in both Vectors, Colonial Razors The General V2, Shield Titanium, ATT SE1.

For the ATT X1 Slant, the Schick Proline P is my favored blade - an outstanding match.

With the Claymore Evolution, the Schick Proline P works well. The Feather Pro Super kicks up the efficiency nicely.

The Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG and Schick Proline P are my favored AC blades in both Vectors, Colonial Razors The General V2, Shield Titanium, ATT SE1.

For the ATT X1 Slant, the Schick Proline P is my favored blade - an outstanding match.

With the Claymore Evolution, the Schick Proline P works well. The Feather Pro Super kicks up the efficiency nicely.
Having only experience with the feather pro guard. How would you compare the the Kai Protouch MG. They're both guarded I believe. What do you like better about the Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Having only experience with the feather pro guard. How would you compare the the Kai Protouch MG. They're both guarded I believe. What do you like better about the Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG?

On my face/skin/beard, the Feather Pro Guard feels harsher and tugs more than the Kai Protouch MG. My shaves with the Kai are smoother and more enjoyable.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Would you say its because its sharper?
Feather makes pretty darn good blades. Very sharp.

There are many reasons why the Kai might provide better results and feel better to me than the Feather.

I'm old. My beard is thick, gray, chaotic, wiry and swirls.

I like to shave steep. Who knows, the Kai may accommodate a steep angle better than the Feather.

Feather makes pretty darn good blades. Very sharp.

There are many reasons why the Kai might provide better results and feel better to me than the Feather.

I'm old. My beard is thick, gray, chaotic, wiry and swirls.

I like to shave steep. Who knows, the Kai may accommodate a steep angle better than the Feather.
Thank you for the insight. There's been enough people recommending the kai pro touch in other threads that ill probably order some to try out for myself

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thank you for the insight. There's been enough people recommending the kai pro touch in other threads that ill probably order some to try out for myself
If you decide you like the Kai Protouch MG blades, make sure to check out Amazon Japan... You can buy a box of ten packages for $6.30 a package.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
seriously! how does that work. Im assuming they ship from japan then
yeah....Let me check the complete invoice: The order was even less than $6.30 each ... the total was $59.40 with $15.49 for shipping to Florida. The prices have creeped up a little bit, but since that ended up being my favorite AC blade, it made sense. Someone here told us about it... I didn't find it myself.

Vector was delivered today. As someone who uses the Ti Bird OC/SB as a daily driver, I can't wait to give this a shot.
Alright, first shave under the belt. Feather Pro Super blade was used. Vector was SS OC.

Honestly, I was pretty whelmed...perhaps it was my angle (probably not quite shallow enough), perhaps it was the blade (felt quite scrape-y), but will give it another go tomorrow. Any thoughts from anyone? Any good blade recs?

Alright, first shave under the belt. Feather Pro Super blade was used. Vector was SS OC.

Honestly, I was pretty whelmed...perhaps it was my angle (probably not quite shallow enough), perhaps it was the blade (felt quite scrape-y), but will give it another go tomorrow. Any thoughts from anyone? Any good blade recs?

I would not use the Feather Pro Super for the first shave. I suggest the Feather Pro Guard for the first several shaves, then the Feather Pro (not super). The Super is very blade-forward.

I would not use the Feather Pro Super for the first shave. I suggest the Feather Pro Guard for the first several shaves, then the Feather Pro (not super). The Super is very blade-forward.
Yes, it was quite noticeable! I typically use a Blackbird Ti OC so wanted to maximize efficiency, but the blade simply wasn't comfortable. Have ordered Prolines and Pros.

Yes, it was quite noticeable! I typically use a Blackbird Ti OC so wanted to maximize efficiency, but the blade simply wasn't comfortable. Have ordered Prolines and Pros.
My stubble is dense and coarse, so I figured a sharp blade such as the Proline might provide smooth and efficient shaves, but all I got in return was skin irritation. I’ve settled on the Kai Captain Titan Mild. It’s smooth enough to tackle 2 days worth of growth but also mild enough for daily shaving.

Top Bottom