What's new

The U.S. Traveling Wet Shaver's Compendium

On a near weekly basis I see new threads about what people can do or what they can get away with when they travel by air. I don't mind reading the threads but I keep seeing comments where "I didn't get caught when I took one blade in my carry-on" and "Will my brush get confiscated?" This brief guide is meant to ease some fears and help make your trip less stressful by giving you the chance to have some comforts of home while on the road.

This is not meant to be the greatest travel thread ever, but I spend a LOT of time in aircraft traveling for my job. And since I don't get free use of the company jet whenever I want, I have to play by the rules of the TSA most every time I go somewhere. As a result, I have learned most ins and outs of how to breeze through security and limit the number of pat downs(unless you are into those kinds of things, have at it as long as I'm not behind you in line). If you fly international, I urge you to check each country you are headed to for guidelines. I never fly commercial to Europe and don't travel to Asia yet so I don't know the regs for those continents.

I am including a photo of what I CHECK whenever I travel. I check my bag because when I travel I am gone for a full week. I need work clothes and something I can be seen at a decent restaurant in for dinner. I also have to pack for Miami to Seattle and everywhere in between so my even though my bag is a true carry-on approved size, it's heavy. I also like to stretch my legs out and let's face it, unless you fly business or first class routinely, commercial aircraft seating is a little snug. So I put my laptop bag above me.

In addition to my normal daily grooming products, for shaving I take a soap or two, an EJ DE89, two blades(in case you get a dud), a synthetic brush, alum, a small(1/4oz) bottle of AS, sample size of Proraso Pre/Post, and a face lotion in a tube. I keep a 1 quart ziplock bag with me in the event I have to carry-on(never have yet) and will ditch my travel sized body wash, shampoo, or whatever I cant fit in the bag if need be. I have never had an issue with this in my checked bag, nor have I lost any of it to sticky fingers(not that any of it has any sentimental value of it did go missing). I'd be mad, but not heartbroken.
$image.jpg

Treat shave creams such as TOBS or Proraso tubes as a cream or gel if you carry on. Don't take a huge tub or tube. Soaps in a tin or tub are ok as long as it isn't spreadable(that would be a cream). My soaps are Stirling, LASS, and Arko in the above picture and all that will pass muster if carried on. If you want a DE razor in your bag and carry on, DO NOT try and sneak a blade or leave one in the razor. This will most likely get you pulled aside while they search the rest of your bag, and if you caught them on a bad day, you may find your razor going in the garbage. I don't even have to mention the crowd behind you, watching and hoping they aren't going to miss their flight because the line now has one less agent guiding them through. If you don't want to risk taking a bladeless DE razor through the TSA line, CHECK IT or carry a disposable/cartridge razor. Don't give the TSA agents a hard time about anything, especially something they question. If you irritate them, they WILL be able to make sure you don't make your flight whether you are right or wrong.

If you participate in Global Entry or TSA Pre-Check, do not attempt to slip things through because you can be permanently disqualified from either program for knowingly or unknowingly breaking the rules. (See the last two sentences above this one again)

If you don't fly often, go to the TSA website: http://www.tsa.gov and read the rules. If you do fly often, repeat the last sentence because stuff can change.

I am am including quite a few quotes from the website for anyone to read on here. The respective links are also at the bottom of this post.

They have a 3-1-1 rule that limits the amount of gels and liquids allowed in a carry-on.
You are allowed to bring one small bag of liquids, aerosols, gels, creams and pastes through the checkpoint. These are limited to 3.4 ounces or less per container. Consolidating these containers in the small bag separate from your carry-on baggage enables TSA officers to screen them quickly.
3-1-1 for carry-ons. Liquids, gels, aerosols, creams and pastes must be 3.4 ounces (100ml) or less per container; must be in 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. The bag limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring.
Be prepared. Each time a TSA officer stops to physically screen a carry-on bag, it slows down the line. Practicing the 3-1-1 rule will facilitate the checkpoint experience.
Declare larger liquids. Medications, baby formula/food and breast milk are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces, and they don’t have to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint. TSA officers may need to open them for additional screening.
If in doubt, put your liquids, gels, aerosols, creams and pastes in checked baggage.

For a list of items prohibited in your carry-on.

Sharp Objects
ItemProhibited
Carry-on?Checked?
Box CuttersNOOK
Ice Axes/Ice PicksNOOK
Knives - except for plastic or round bladed butter knivesNOOK
Meat CleaversNOOK
Razor-Type Blades - such as box cutters, utility knives, and safety razor blades (disposable razors and their cartridges are permitted)NOOK
SabersNOOK
Scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than 4 inches are allowed, but blades longer than 4 inches are prohibitedNOOK
Swords: if you have to ask.....

Relevant TSA links.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/3-1-1-liquids-rule
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

Thanks for posting. I fly a lot, as well, and agree with you 100%. I would add one thing, which does not really relate to shaving ('cause my shaving gear is checked in my suitcase): I carry a print-out of the TSA regs on what is prohibited and what is not, mostly because I usually have cigars, lighters and cigar cutters in my carry-on. The ones that I carry are permitted, but I don't want to rely on the TSA staff to know or understand that without seeing it in print.

I know this isn't the most comprehensive write up, but it was meant to help newcomers and any of us that travel less frequently. I would be honored if it was sticky worthy though.

Great write-up!
I few about a month ago with close to 100 SE Blades in my checked luggage along with some other items I had to look up on the TSA website (LiOn batteries). There were no issues and everything remained exactly where I had placed it in my luggage.

This might be considered a thread jack, but I have a related question. Is there anyplace on this forum where information is exchanged about the availability of DE blades at destinations? If I were traveling by air, I could take my DE shaving stuff in a carry on (without blades) and purchase blades at the destination...if I knew I could get decent blades. Has anybody tried to put together info like that?

Top Bottom