What's new

The struggles of being under 30 and using safety razors.

Went to the barber in the local mall a few days ago when I saw some Proraso products in the window display. I found a nice Edwin Jagger razor holder and brush holder (see avatar), so I told the attendant that I'll take one of each.

She looked at me like I was absolutely insane. She asked if I was sure, then she told me what they're for, then she held up a DE razor and told me that "this is what it's for". I had to make it clear that those are indeed what I use.

I guess millennials aren't big on saving money for better shaves, lol...

Wonder how she would have acted if my 17 year old son bought the same stuff?

He's never used anything other than my Gillette open comb and a Fatboy. His last shave he chose my puck of Fine L'orange Noir.

Regards

If you think people look at you funny for shaving with a DE, just wait until you discover straight razors and tell people you use them. Most folks think I have lost my marbles, but I think I finally got them all lined up.

Most guys don't get the shaving with a safety razor.

Sometimes our forefathers had it right and this is one of those.

If you think people look at you funny for shaving with a DE, just wait until you discover straight razors and tell people you use them. Most folks think I have lost my marbles, but I think I finally got them all lined up.
I'm waiting on a Sanguine R5 shavette from Amazon! Lol.

im soon to be 26 and use DE, i let my 4 year old "play" with my VDH, no blade of course. he loves to run around "shaving" everything. i cant wait to pass on a good razor to him

Went to the barber in the local mall a few days ago when I saw some Proraso products in the window display. I found a nice Edwin Jagger razor holder and brush holder (see avatar), so I told the attendant that I'll take one of each.

She looked at me like I was absolutely insane. She asked if I was sure, then she told me what they're for, then she held up a DE razor and told me that "this is what it's for". I had to make it clear that those are indeed what I use.

I guess millennials aren't big on saving money for better shaves, lol...

To me the morale of this story is how embarrasingly clueless and patronizing some of the shop assistants are.

B.

I thought at first they looked dangerous. I learned how to shave with my dad's injector. Back in college , It was getting hard to find old school shaving supplies and I didn't know you could buy them on the internet. I probably would still have gone with a Schick cartridge razor. I also used an electric razor for a short while.

Am I safe to assume you aren't a hipster who dresses in clothes from 3 disparate decades? If you sported a perfectly waxed mustache, she would have thought, of course , that makes perfect sense.

But what age do you need to be to shave, She needs to go back to collage and relearn. I would love to open a shaving shop up in Lincoln UK so people could buy shaving goods.

I guess some Millennials are not big on being the brightest light on the Christmas tree either.... :001_rolle
That is a strange reaction tho ... Mind you my 14-year-old son would be the only one in his year at school using a DE razor..... possibly the only one in all of Voctoria.

Last year I got my brother the entry level wet shaving set from VDH just to gauge his interest. It came with the razor, boar brush, lather bowl, soap and razor/brush stand. He said he always hated shaving and reverted to his electric because of it, so thought this might be a welcome change for him.

He lathered up and shaved a few times and seemed to like it, but ended up using his electric more because he claimed he never had time. He's 28 now and has been growing a beard since before Thanksgiving. Go figure.

Top Bottom