What's new

The Sprout- B&B Gardening 2013

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I just looked through this entire thread and I want to say congratualtions to all of our fellow gardeners here at BB....Are you all familiar with http://www.squarefootgardening.org/ ??? My father saw his show back in the mid-70's and started using it....I started about 15 years ago....

his methodolgy would be right up your alley if you have any acquistion disorders at all....can you SQFAD ? no weeds, reduces everythng down to 5 to 1...

oh heck go read about it...i might have to stqart a new thread for dsicussin'
never heard of that, but i'm pretty sure my garden would have been 1/4 of the size it is now if I had done it that way.

Next year I will try that. Website added to the bookmarks bar.

jason i would tell you to start this fall if you could and when you combine the three ingrediants, they will have all winter to "gel"...and really be ready for spring or even a late winter planting....

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
jason i would tell you to start this fall if you could and when you combine the three ingrediants, they will have all winter to "gel"...and really be ready for spring or even a late winter planting....
That makes sense but our lease is up in Jan. and I'm not sure if we will resign. Considering the size it might be easy to move though. If no seeds are in then it would be simple to bag up the dirt and all.

Had to pull my cukes up last night and toss them in the yard waste bin. They ended up with a leaf disease that I was unable to get rid of. Got 4 half gallon jars of pickles and a half dozen or more loose cukes off of them this year though. They were doing fantastic until they got sick.

Ahhh, that's too bad. At least you got some veggies off of them first. It's been WAY too hot here for my pickling cukes. They all grew short and fat, then turned yellow within a day or so. I'm only now getting hot and bell pepper blossoms since the nights are falling into the 70's again. My Bolivian Rainbow pepper is covered in tiny little peppers (30-50,000 SHU), and my giant Poblano is blooming like crazy.
This happy little yellow flower, is a Carolina Reaper blossom :biggrin:
$IMG_1094.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Well the garden did get ahead of me a bit so I took the opportunity to make some Tomato Puree. A food mill is probably overkill for the 13 tomatoes but if you ever find yourself doing bushels it is a godsend. A couple of pics.
$Tomato Puree.jpg$Tomato Puree2.jpg

My basil is four and a half feet tall . . . close as high as the tomatoes. Pesto making this weekend. We ate the last of the last planting of Swiss chard tonight sauteed in ginger and garlic. I'm going to plant a bit more and pull off a last crop before frost hits.

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Despite some torrential rainfalls knocking them down my tomatoes are pumping out product like mad. Also my basil being planted in full sun is doing a lot better than it ever did on my shady porch. As you can see they have merged into one big mess. Behind this I've had two crops of lettuce, swiss chard, and bok choi. Lately I've been enjoying pulling off some hot peppers, and some sweet cherry poppers.

Here are a couple of pics.

$Garden.jpg
$Garden 2.jpg

Too many tomatoes!! Ive got 5 gallons of Romas peeled and seeded in the freezer so far. Need to get out picking today, I've given away two 5 gallon buckets full of Romas and Better Boys. Wife has been making some good sauce as well. Lots and Lots of Cherry Bomb hot peppers and my Habaneros are coming on strong now. I'll be making hot sauce soon, but can't do it when the wife is home, just blanching the Habanero's gets her all choked up for hours.
Looking forward to eating all the stuff I've squirreled away in the freezer this winter, especially my sugar snap peas and green beans!

First year growing hops. Just picked the first 2 oz off the Nugget Bine. Planted Cascade, Nugget and Willamette. Willamette is not going to produce anything this year, but the other two are going strong!
$20130906_193656.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Wow. I've never thought of growing hops. I recognize two of the varieties from making beer . . . haven't made any for seven years.

Nice bounty Jason. Where I am it is getting cooler. I'm hoping frost stays away a few more weeks or more.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Wow. I've never thought of growing hops. I recognize two of the varieties from making beer . . . haven't made any for seven years.

Nice bounty Jason. Where I am it is getting cooler. I'm hoping frost stays away a few more weeks or more.
92 today 95 tomorrow. and in the 70's-80's the rest of the week. nights as low as 50's.

I let the garden go about a month ago as I figured it was done and going to get cooler. I picked all the peppers and ripe tomatoes and they all bloomed again!

The tomatoes are half dead but still producing fruit. the peppers look as if they are in their prime. Half the leaves are dead on the cucumber plant but I've gotten 3 more cucs off it.

It's nuts!

Well, the tomatoes were producing slowly and steadily, but suddenly I had a bunch ripen all at once. I've been working too much to deal with them, and can't afford a pressure canner right now, so I was waiting for a free afternoon to make sauce and freeze it. Then we got 2 days of heavy rain that caused a bunch of them to split clear open! I've got them all stuffed in a box lined with newspaper. Hopefully the most damaged ones won't rot before tomorrow when I can get to them...

Only 1 pepper plant is producing for some reason. The others are tall and green, so they may have too much Nitrogen. I hit them with an epsom salt solution yesterday, so we'll see how it goes. I have a ton of blossoms on my Poblano, Scotch Bonnet, Bhut Jolokia, and Carolina Reaper, they just keep dropping.

Edit: Almost forgot the only producing pepper plant, the Bolivian Rainbow

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 52
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 53
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 51
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Had my first garden this year... did a pair of 5x8 boxes and realized it was a little too small and i needed better support systems (cages or something) for tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants. The basil did great, but everything else has been a complete waste. The squash got killed off by vine borers, the tomatoes eaten by squirrels, the eggplants are rotting before then ripen, and the 3 green peppers that have produced from 4 plants are wimpy at best. Not discouraged though! Just know more for next year!

Does anyone do over-winter crops? Mustard or Clover or something? Is it worth it or should i just load up with compost and cover with clear plastic?
proxy.php

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Not much can over winter where I am. I can pull up some carrots into October or later if I can find some more. It is time to plant garlic. Where you are you might have to put your garlic seen in the fridge for a while, depending on the variety.

I did pop in some garlic cloves earlier last month and they are pretty much dead. I'll try again and see what happens in the cooler weather

Normally we'd be at the end of our growing cycle but this year we're trying to grow through the winter.

Put an aeroponic system, Tower Garden out on the 3 season porch

proxy.php

(not my pic ;) just for reference)

So far I have beans, kale, several different lettuce. Still trying to get the peppers and tomatoes to germinate but they'll be added once they do. I added 4 T5 grow lights to ours to help it through the long dark that is winter in Ohio ;)

Wish me luck.

Ken

Sweet. I've been thinking of doing hydro or aereo gardening myself. Wife saw an aerogarden in someone's kitchen and commented on wanting something to grow in our kitchen window. How are you spraying the the roots?

Top Bottom