What's new

The Sprout- B&B Gardening 2013

We just harvested a whole lot of radishes, snap peas and lettuce. Looking at maybe a second planting as well as the later season stuff that is still growing. We had an aphid problem this hear and had fun with ladybugs.
$Garden May 28 2013 .jpg$Garden May 28 2013 -001.JPGView attachment 353068$Garden May 28 2013 -005.JPG$Ladybugs June 2013.jpg

Great looking crops lpe492. What type of wood did you use for the boxes? I let my garden rest this season (nothing the grew to my liking the past two years) and I am going to do the raised bed method.

My daughter and I made dill pickles last night out of the monster Boston Pickling cukes that we are getting out of the garden. Those are half gallon jars.

proxy.php

Great looking crops lpe492. What type of wood did you use for the boxes? I let my garden rest this season (nothing the grew to my liking the past two years) and I am going to do the raised bed method.

I used pressure treated wood from Home Depot. It is called red/brown weathershield, treated with MCA - Micronized Copper Azole. I didn't worry about anything leaching into the soil, but that's just me. One could line the wood pretty easily. I think stores offer different types of pressure treated wood in different areas of the US, based on climate and local regulations on the chemicals used.

We chose garden boxes because the soil in CO is pretty bad (mostly clay), which means we purchased garden soil and had it delivered by dump truck.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I used pressure treated wood from Home Depot. It is called red/brown weathershield, treated with MCA - Micronized Copper Azole. I didn't worry about anything leaching into the soil, but that's just me. One could line the wood pretty easily. I think stores offer different types of pressure treated wood in different areas of the US, based on climate and local regulations on the chemicals used.

We chose garden boxes because the soil in CO is pretty bad (mostly clay), which means we purchased garden soil and had it delivered by dump truck.
we had red clay in TN around Nashville. Couldn't grow squat!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
That's some nice squat.:wink2:

Edit: I now see you live in IL.
man that really confused me for about 15 seconds. "squat? what the heck is he referring to?" :laugh:

I'd never be able to grow anything like that where I used to live in TN. I planted 3 tomato plants that never got larger than thigh high and did not produce one single tomato

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Today's haul. dug up a few of the dead/dying potato plants. Great size for adding to a pot of green beans!

Sorry about the confusion. Everyone at work looked at me funny when I began laughing. I know what you mean about the tomato plants. very frustrating. I took this year off from planting a vegetable garden and have been amending my soil. Next year I hope to raise my garden and get some quality soil so I can grow some "squat".

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
potatoes and tomatoes galore! Everyday something is ready to pick. the plants are slowly dying and I'm digging em up finding several potatoes on each plant. It was surprising at the different taste these fresh potatoes have. So much more flavorful than the bag I buy at the store.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Nice size bell peppers! Going to stuff them, yum!

My cousin stopped by earlier this week and made salsa with all the garden fresh tomatoes. We've already ate 2 jars

Hah, sorry for the absence gents. Glad to see this thread still kicking!
Due to my late start with sprouting, my plants just barely started producing. I have some issues with "catfacing" on my Brandywine and Cherokee Purple tomatoes, but the Black Krim are looking great. My bell peppers are stunted and keep dropping blossoms for some reason. I've been told that this summer was terrible for them here (hottest avg temps on record) so I'm not the only one. The heat also apparently caused most of my cucumbers to grow into small spheres...
i've been getting sweet chilis from a couple of starter plants though, and my Bolivian Rainbow hot pepper is covered in blossoms that got a little help from a crafting paintbrush. No nuclear peppers yet, but I have great-looking Scotch Bonnet, Mustard Habenero, and Carolina Reaper plants that I expect to start seeing blossoms any time now. I seem to have grown 1male and 1 female tomatillo plant each, and one is covered in fruit. It's also taller than I am.
it's been too hot to finish the landscaping work, so it's still just the cloth in my images. Still, not bad for a first-timer eh?

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 43
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 44
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 45
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 45
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 46
I just looked through this entire thread and I want to say congratualtions to all of our fellow gardeners here at BB....Are you all familiar with http://www.squarefootgardening.org/ ??? My father saw his show back in the mid-70's and started using it....I started about 15 years ago....

his methodolgy would be right up your alley if you have any acquistion disorders at all....can you SQFAD ? no weeds, reduces everythng down to 5 to 1...

oh heck go read about it...i might have to stqart a new thread for dsicussin'

Top Bottom