What's new

The Sprout-2016

They are but the BIL has cantalope and watermelon planted already. We grow community gardens so everyone doesnt plant the same thing. What about cow peas or blacyeyes. Would they grow well in this black dirt?? I know they do well in sandy soils.

Well there is one way to find out for sure, i'd give them a go see what sort of results you achieve, as they say, 'nothing ventured, nothing gained'.

Mesclun is ready to start harvesting, bit of this a bit of that.

proxy.php

proxy.php
dave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Where do you get horseradish. Does it come as a seed or as a root. I've always wanted to plant some, but have never seen it for sale.

I picked mine up from a garden centre as a root. As Dave said ordering online is a option.

The pepper plantation. From seed planted back in March there's three Tollis' Italian Sweet, Two Portugal Hot, four Hungarian Cheese and then one Chocolate Scorpion from the garden centre.

proxy.php
dave

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
SWMBO brought in the first kinda ripe 'mater awhile ago and put it in the window sill to finish. First one we have since the last crop drownded.

$IMG_0001.jpg

Got a baby squash.

$IMG_0007.jpg

Some 'maters that ain't ripe yet.

$IMG_0014.jpg

Got some of dem der wurms in one of the 'maters...time to fight back.

Aaron...I'll let you know how that Hi-Yield stuff works.

$IMG_0017.jpg

'Taters are lookin' good. May be time to dig down a bit and see if we got new 'taters on the top.

$IMG_0019.jpg

First showing, a Tolli's Italian Sweet, maybe 3/4" from top of fruit to the bottom of the white filament (stigma?). Ipod with a clip-on macro lens.

proxy.php

dave

Today at my mother's house it was time to care for the plants sprouting from the compost used in the flower boxes on the balcony:

I counted around 35 tomato plants and about 15 pumpkin or squash that have grown from seeds from the compost :=)
Relocated ten of the tomatoes to big pots on the balcony and another 7 to the backyard - ran out of pots and space for the rest.
Also managed to relocate 9 of the pumpkin/squash to the backyard, these are hard to remove from the flower boxes without damaging the plants...

She had tomatoes and pumpkin from the compost for many years, but this year there are a lot more sprouting - seems that the wet spring we had does have advantages too...

br,
ToM

Tomatoes sprouting from the compost that's spread throughout the garden would be our number one weeding issue. Well that and purslane.

dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Well, after one week since I planted the spearmint, rosemary and basil they sure have done well.

...but no one told me I planted a bunch of great tasting weeds. That stuff is going to take over the world!

The basil and rosemary will be fine but the spearmint, it could very easily run amok, watch out! I plant mints in pots to limit their wandering, rampant ways.

With basil if you pinch out the growing tip it will form multiple shoots/branches there and become bushier and bushier as you continue the practice.

dave

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Hey Aaron...here's a couple of the little monsters that are eating out our tomatoes. Well...big, full monsters now.

SWMBO just put some Seven dust on them. I just got a hand spray bottle to mix up the Hi Yield yield in, since we don't have enough growing this year for the pump sprayer, but I need to mix that stuff up tomorrow.

$IMG_0002.jpg

$IMG_0003.jpg

Here are a couple of 'maters we just brought in.

$IMG_0001.jpg

Top Bottom