What's new

The Slant - a gimmick?

No gimmick. I often skate my regular DE's to get at certain spots on my neck. My Slant does it for me automatically. My blades of choice for the Slant in order; Kai, Personna med prep, Feather.

So I purchased a slant and used it for the first time today. I got a very close, comfortable shave. It's a nice razor, no doubt about it. But I don't think it really performed any better than my Merkur 34C. Since I've only used it once I will withhold final judgement (I plan to continue using it on a daily basis for a while).

Does anyone think the slant is just a gimmick?

One thing I definitely didn't like about it is that the head/top is very bulky and therefore I had some trouble getting into that area on my upper lip under the nostrils. I'll continue to use it and experiment.

~~~~Brian, use a free hand finger (I use my index finger) to push your nose up out of the way while you shave under it. I never thought about that trick much less ever trying it until I watched a video of someone doing just that, shaving with a DE razor. I can't remember who it is (video) but he is a wet shave vendor from NY. Maybe someone watching this thread knows of the video and will post it

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

I don't know if the twisted head actually has anything to do with it but my 37c Slant gives me a better shave than my 23c, SS Red Tip, or any of the cart razors I used before switching to DE's. I have used Feathers, Personna Reds, Barbers, Meds, & Labs successfully with the Slant.

It clearly seems to work well for some people, it looks aggressive but is it really? Personally I find vintage open combs and cranked up adjustable's to be more aggressive.

No, I don't think the slant is a gimmick, and some members report getting great shaves from the slant. :crying:

I for one have tried the slant and have owned two of them, but I didn't find they shaved me any better than my regular DE. I too found the head to be somewhat bulky, and had problems getting under my nose. All in all I didn't care for the slant at all, and sold them on B/S/T. :001_tongu

For my DE shaves give me my Merkur's, the HD and the open comb. I find the open comb to have a very slim head, and it gives a much better shave than the slant. :wink2:

Of course that's IMHO, and of course YMMV. :w00t:

No, I don't think the slant is a gimmick, and some members report getting great shaves from the slant. :crying:

I for one have tried the slant and have owned two of them, but I didn't find they shaved me any better than my regular DE. I too found the head to be somewhat bulky, and had problems getting under my nose. All in all I didn't care for the slant at all, and sold them on B/S/T. :001_tongu

For my DE shaves give me my Merkur's, the HD and the open comb. I find the open comb to have a very slim head, and it gives a much better shave than the slant. :wink2:

Of course that's IMHO, and of course YMMV. :w00t:

Whoops, sorry for the second post. Just tried to correct a spelling error.

I am afraid not but again, people have their own preference. The key is to find what works for you.

Al raz.

Although Ive sold both my slants, they are not a gimmick imo either. Just not for me. They are dang fine razors though IMO

Not a gimmick with the right blade in it you get a closer shave

~~~I think Alraz said it best ...you need to find what works for you. In regards to the right blade for the slant, I've used a Feather, a Derby and IIRC, a Zorrick. They all worked fine for me. IMO, since the slants are aggressive (I think most of us can agree on that point but maybe not=:), what is requisite is very good lather so this aggressive razor/blade combo will float on your skin and not dig in and scrape it off/away. Of course, a light touch is needed too (no pressure)...at least that has been my experince and key to getting a good shave with an aggressive safety razor

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

This Fasan
proxy.php
slant is no gimmick. I never much liked the new Merkur slants but have enjoyed using this light weight razor & the slant makes for a remarkably smooth close shave. It's made me into a believer.

Not a gimmick, definitely more aggressive. And as others have noted requires a different blade; my HD works well enough with most blades, but the slant needs one of the sharper blades (feather, kai, and the like). But efficient as well, if I have 3 days or more to shave off I always reach for the sledgehammer.
+1 ... My 39C and Feather blades are in a monogamous relationship, and that combo is my favorite pairing of razor and blade. I get BBS from it in 2 comfortable, easy passes almost every time I use it.

Even though its my favorite, I don't use it as often as I'd like to. It does its best work when I feed it a lot of whiskers, so it is reserved for those times when I have 3 or more days of stubble to harvest.

The Slant is not a gimmick. It is the only DE razor that shaves as close as my 1912 SE. I don't find it very aggressive as some do, it is just so much more efficient than most DE razors.

DD

I'm having a hard time figuring out my 37C. Just can't seem to get a good close irritation free shave. Might go back to my regular DE.

I used the slant for the second day in a row... same results as day one: great shave, but no better than what I get with a 34C. I will continue to use the slant every day for at least a week for a fair assessment.

Last edited:
A slant doesn't just tilt the blade, it twists the blade giving it a slight curve. Holding a non-slant razor on an angle does not mimic the action of this curved blade as the blade itself is still a straight line.
The edge of the blade on my slant is perfectly straight and that's what is presented to the beard -- just as with any other razor used for a Gillette Slide. The Merkur design differs from a conventional razor in the increasing distance between the edge and the safety bar along the length of the edge. The question should be what that provides that isn't gotten from the GS.

The edge of the blade on my slant is perfectly straight and that's what is presented to the beard -- just as with any other razor used for a Gillette Slide. The Merkur design differs from a conventional razor in the increasing distance between the edge and the safety bar along the length of the edge. The question should be what that provides that isn't gotten from the GS.

It appears straight to the naked eye, but it is not.

The diagonally opposed corners of both the cap and base are curved downward, causing the twist. You cannot impart this twist to a plane (the blade) and still maintain perfectly straight lines.

Last edited:
Top Bottom