What's new

The Scandal Sheet: Straights and other stuff

Nice shave today with my Koraat and New LC. Gave the new brush another workout this morning with Beeswax. Everything was tip-top smooth.

Working on a set of scales, the resin set is too pliable at the moment so I refit a set in oak and am finishing them now with poly.

Mrs. Scandalous is off plant shopping with her mom and her sister. She did manage to get a shot of me and the Critter with her new elephant yesterday.

Be well.
20240512_095736.jpg
20240512_081812.jpg
Resized_20240511_110122.jpeg

That's my daughter... you aren't the first to make that mistake 😂

My hair is about 20 years older than the rest of me, somehow
Hmm, I think I was saying that your daughter is "grand" because correct spelling is "granddaughter" just like "grandfather" of which you're not...yet. And that's my story, I'm sticking to it...BA-DAD-BOOM! Whooee! Here all week.

Last edited:
Had a very rushed shave today, some unavoidable delays this morning put me behind schedule. I had the thought that I'd maybe try to do my whole shave with a DE, but about halfway across my cheek quickly realized that I'm actually still faster with a straight. So, the Kikuboshi 2002 did the bulk of the work. I think I'm going to leave it out and use it tomorrow, it's such a nice razor that it deserves to be enjoyed a little. Loaded a Feather into the New SC, was a little trepidatious but it was uneventful other than knocking down every whisker in its path. Left the bathroom with a very close, very smooth finish and only about 5 minutes behind schedule.

Mrs. Scandalous came home with some tomatoes, some peppers, and a bunch of pollinator-friendly flowers so I will be digging a new bed, strategically placed in front of the very functional but rather ugly compost bin I built from shipping pallets last fall. And I need to clear the vegetable garden out, there's a bunch of brush lying on top of a blanket of leaves on it at the moment, which is keeping the weeds down. Shouldn't take much. And our soil is rather sandy so tilling it won't be bad either.

The teen spent some time messing around with their new guitar again yesterday, found some youtube tutorials and learned Em and 2-finger A9...so they're having fun. My acoustic has a pickup so spent a little time messing around with the effects on the amp. Found some sounds that really work.

I got the scales pinned onto that razor I was working on, started the honing process but realized this one is going to need a little more work on the bevel so I will continue that at some point this week.

Listened to Marty Stuart's Busy Bee Cafe album this morning, or at least started it. I can listen to that one over and over again.

Be well.
20240513_071359.jpg
20240512_195830.jpg

As planned, used the Kikuboshi again today and it was great. Continuing to break in the new brush. The New SC did the cleanup.

Not planned, was being home with a "sick" kid. So in addition to some actual work, I finished honing my Gradwell. Then I decided to sand down and polish the cap on the SC. Did some preliminary brush clearing in the garden plot and after some more coffee I'm going to till it up and also cut in a new flower bed.

Be well!
20240514_070842.jpg
20240514_083935.jpg
20240514_110812.jpg

Had a slightly frustrating shave today although the end results seem about on par with what I've come to expect lately.

First, the straight. Old reground Sheffield blade, obscure maker's mark of Gradwell. The new scales look great if I do say so myself. Edge felt pretty good for the first pass, but seemed to struggle a little more in parts of pass two and then really struggled ATG on the right jaw. Ok, maybe not *really* struggled but enough that I was annoyed. I grabbed my Rigarazor which was in the drawer, I honed it yesterday. Remember when I said it felt "off?" Looking at the edge there was a nice dent toward the heel, I vaguely remember hitting my glasses with it two shaves ago. That'll do it. Anyway, I did my ATG pass with it and that, at least, was terrific. Then, the DE. I loaded a Permasharp into the New SC. I think I only used one of these so far from the sample tuck I got. That was, well...it was very smooth. It was not sharp enough. At least, not enough to get the level of closeness I've come to expect from the SC. But it was smooth enough to tolerate quite a bit of buffing. I guess I'll give it a couple more days and see if it beds in a little. I guess I'll mess around with the Gradwell later, I know it can take a great edge but it can also be a little finicky.

Bragging up my son a little, last night he had his last high school band concert of his career. Because he made all-state band, his director (who's also his mother) has a policy to feature the all-state kids on a solo. Mike decided to write his own. It was quite lovely, introspective...inspired by a young lady who was quite the leader in band when he was a freshman, but who sadly passed away a couple years ago due to a medical condition. So proud of this kid.

Be well, everyone.
20240515_071243.jpg

Not yet. They do help. I have my first appointment with an ENT and audiologist later this week, so will probably get some answers there. I hope. Generally speaking with the sort of condition I have, they would want to make sure the hearing loss is stabilized before prescribing hearing aids-- which is was my wife's experience, she had to wait several months and was frankly miserable but is pretty happy with hers.

I actually don't think I have a lot of hearing loss yet, so it's unlikely that I'll be getting hearing aids anytime soon. One of the things with these middle/inner ear disorders is if they can prevent or at least minimize the attacks, they can prevent permanent hearing loss. So hopefully we're catching this early enough...and while my current levels of tinnitus are annoying, I can live with it. For now.

Part of me worries that I'm just crazy and they'll tell me there's nothing wrong with me. I mean, I am crazy, but not in that way. So.
How'd that go? Hope you got some nice prescription earbuds to use for your morning tunes!

How'd that go? Hope you got some nice prescription earbuds to use for your morning tunes!
Hey, thanks for asking. My hearing tested "great" (for my age) which is good. It means my hearing loss is transient as opposed to progressive. So probably not classic Meniere's, more likely something like vestibular migraine. I have an MRI on Friday to look at my ears and brain to make sure there's not anything out of place that's causing the dizziness etc.

The other thing about that appointment was that it was quite timely. Being an ENT she looked up my nose. "Oh. You've got a sinus infection." Me: "really? I feel fine. " She sent in a script for antibiotics anyway, although I didn't pick them up for a couple days due to a miscommunication between them and the pharmacy. By the time I picked up the meds, I most definitely did NOT feel fine.

Anyway. The dizziness has been manageable lately, my hearing is mostly normal and my tinnitus comes and goes. It's a little worse after the concert last night, and I have a 7th grade band concert to attend tonight...so...I will bring earplugs. Not as worried about missing the subtleties at this one😄

And thanks everyone for the kind words about my son. He really is a great kid.

Hey, thanks for asking. My hearing tested "great" (for my age) which is good. It means my hearing loss is transient as opposed to progressive. So probably not classic Meniere's, more likely something like vestibular migraine. I have an MRI on Friday to look at my ears and brain to make sure there's not anything out of place that's causing the dizziness etc.

The other thing about that appointment was that it was quite timely. Being an ENT she looked up my nose. "Oh. You've got a sinus infection." Me: "really? I feel fine. " She sent in a script for antibiotics anyway, although I didn't pick them up for a couple days due to a miscommunication between them and the pharmacy. By the time I picked up the meds, I most definitely did NOT feel fine.

Anyway. The dizziness has been manageable lately, my hearing is mostly normal and my tinnitus comes and goes. It's a little worse after the concert last night, and I have a 7th grade band concert to attend tonight...so...I will bring earplugs. Not as worried about missing the subtleties at this one😄

And thanks everyone for the kind words about my son. He really is a great kid.
Good luck on the tests. My mom has Meniere's. It's ruined her previously mostly chocolate diet.

Top Bottom