What's new

the raozr of my dreams! Custom needed

I want to have my custom straight razor. I want it 10/8 true heavy wedge. and I want it as plain as possible. no final fantasy style razor. and most importantly. NO SMILE. I am having a very hard time honing a 7/8 W&B full wedge. my problem is the rolling x stroke is very tiring. I can barely hone a normal razor. and there is no one near me that hone razors. I can send it internationally but it may cost the receiver. I can pay for his taxes. but it looks like too much fuzz.

so what do you guys recommend?. Robert Williams?. or someone else?. or where can I find a +8/8 wedge with a straight edge?. help me find my dream razor please. I am tired of waiting!

EDIT: my limit is 500$ is it possible to find somebody to do it?

Last edited:
I need something that costs less than 500$. 600 max. I do not need any fancy scales or designs. do yo think any of these guys can accept it?

I would say yes. But the only way to truly know is to ask whomever you choose to make your razor. Get a couple of quotes. Your budget is easily high enough for a straightforward design.

10/8

no smile

I think you're shopping for a cleaver, not a razor!

proxy.php

....and perfect for head shaving

I've seen it done on You Tube! But a 10/8 wedge for honing might be a real challenge if you are not so familiar with honing blades of that grind. Or you could always send it out to hone I suppose when it needs it...

I'll take my super thin grind Fili 14 any day over something that heavy! Both for ease of honing and quality of shave. But that's my own personal preference after trying out quite a few blades.

Contact Brian Brown he makes great razor
Or Jeness Sandor also a great maker

I'd echo this. Contact both guys and see what they have to say for availability.

As for honing, if I had a 10/8 wedge that needed to be honed I would probably leave it on Doc226's steps with a money wrapped around it and a note that said "Pleeeeaaaassssseeeeeee". (and I love to hone, lol)

I'd echo this. Contact both guys and see what they have to say for availability.

As for honing, if I had a 10/8 wedge that needed to be honed I would probably leave it on Doc226's steps with a money wrapped around it and a note that said "Pleeeeaaaassssseeeeeee". (and I love to hone, lol)

Gee, thanks-I think

I want to have my custom straight razor. I want it 10/8 true heavy wedge. and I want it as plain as possible. no final fantasy style razor. and most importantly. NO SMILE. I am having a very hard time honing a 7/8 W&B full wedge. my problem is the rolling x stroke is very tiring. I can barely hone a normal razor. and there is no one near me that hone razors. I can send it internationally but it may cost the receiver. I can pay for his taxes. but it looks like too much fuzz.

so what do you guys recommend?. Robert Williams?. or someone else?. or where can I find a +8/8 wedge with a straight edge?. help me find my dream razor please. I am tired of waiting!

EDIT: my limit is 500$ is it possible to find somebody to do it?

Jenes made this one for me, and it cost far less than $500:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...s-custom-razor-arrived!?highlight=jenes+razor

You can contact him here:
http://jenesrazors.com/

Steve

Last edited:
HotRod,

When you say "I want it 10/8 true heavy wedge", do you mean "Near Wedge" (with some degree of hollow grinding), or "True Wedge" (completely flat sides)? I've never had a true wedge, but I have had a couple near wedges that wound up getting pretty close :).

If you hone a true wedge flat, they take a long time to hone, just because there is a lot of steel that needs to be removed. They aren't any harder to hone than anything else, they just take longer. They can also be honed with tape, which will make things go quicker, but I normally avoid tape, since I like punishment :).

Near wedges take a long time to hone too, but are light-years faster than a true wedge. Some guys won't even touch a near wedge, due to bad experiences in the past, or just because they need more speed to justify accepting a hone job.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Bearblade has made some nice razors as well, though I don't have one of his yet. I do own a BB and Jenes and they are great.

HotRod,

When you say "I want it 10/8 true heavy wedge", do you mean "Near Wedge" (with some degree of hollow grinding), or "True Wedge" (completely flat sides)? I've never had a true wedge, but I have had a couple near wedges that wound up getting pretty close :).

If you hone a true wedge flat, they take a long time to hone, just because there is a lot of steel that needs to be removed. They aren't any harder to hone than anything else, they just take longer. They can also be honed with tape, which will make things go quicker, but I normally avoid tape, since I like punishment :).

Near wedges take a long time to hone too, but are light-years faster than a true wedge. Some guys won't even touch a near wedge, due to bad experiences in the past, or just because they need more speed to justify accepting a hone job.

is completely flat compared a small wedge I have which has some slight hollowing. this is as flat as it gets. the guy who honed it for me told me how that it was a true pain XD . but he felt that it was an achievement!.

hmmm. when you say it takes light years to hone. does it means it will take some few hours?. I only honed a straight edge hollow. I don't mind spending hours. and taking rests in between since it is just 1 razor that I will hone every few months. I'll be honest. I do not know how much of a nightmare it might become. is there anything else that I must know?.

What he said was that near wedges can take a long time to hone also, just maybe not hours like a true wedge can. A tough way to learn how to hone, for a new honer...

I have found that (for the most part) the amount of blade in contact with a stone dictates how much time it takes to hone. A skinny hollow ground razor with almost no bevel (top or bottom) will hone up really quick. A near wedge with a substantial bevel (top and bottom) takes considerably longer. I have one near wedge that is now approaching a full/true wedge, and it just keeps taking longer and longer and longer, and the bevel isn't even set yet! You just wind up removing a lot more metal. I don't mind doing the work on my own razors, or on the occasion for someone else, but I would need much faster hones if I wanted to attempt to make a living by honing near wedges :).

If what you want is a true wedge, and you want to hone it flat, more power to you! I think it would be fantastic, and if it's a 10/8 razor, you can use it as your mirror too :). Just be prepared to spend some considerable time honing (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). Best of luck to you in finding what you're looking for.

What he said was that near wedges can take a long time to hone also, just maybe not hours like a true wedge can. A tough way to learn how to hone, for a new honer...

Not to derail this thread, but I am currently honing a near wedge 5/8 ( which I ground down from a 6/8 microtome!!)
In my inexperienced hands it is taking a long long long time to hone - setting the bevel has been arduous - and it's been very difficult to keep the edge true. Small habitual variations in pressure are magnified into smiles and frowns.
It's worth doing because I'm learning so much, but from this experience I 'd imagine honing a 10/8 true wedge would be a mammoth task and also require constant attention to avoid a wavy edge!

Top Bottom