What's new

The Pinzguaer

Switzerland has a long and storied tradition of putting out some truly ground-breaking innovations that have changed, nothing less, than the course of human affairs: proper fondue with Gruyère, that one transparent Swatch from the 1980s that showcased its meticulous inner workings, the sublime genius of the great Roger Federer, the proposition that rich people could hide their money from taxation without repercussion (ok, maybe not that one) and, finally, that long wooden horn thing that's kind of curved at the bottom that's featured in those Ricola commercials ... you know the ones. However, as much as an arm-chair Swissophile as I might consider myself to be, one thing got past me ... I was completely oblivious to the existence of one thing in particular ... the six-wheeled Pinzguaer high-mobility all terrain vehicle.

Today, while tasting an endless sea of Cabernet Francs and Pinot Noirs, I happened upon a winery in Napa that served up a mean Cabernet and Syrah blend and just happened to have a Pinzguaer on the premises for tours of the vineyard. I inquired vaguely as to whether such a vehicle might be available on a day like today, a perfect day in the Napa Valley, and was informed that the machine in question was not suitable for a tour of the vineyard because of the prevailing moist soil conditions.

I was somewhat deterred by this response and resigned myself to the fact that I would need to concentrate any remaining focus I might have solely on the flight of red, set forth in front of me. In between tastes of an exquisite red, I took notice of the urgent and guttural sound of an approaching piece of Swiss military exotica and, after "shooting" the remainder of the flight, I bolted outside and this is what I saw ...

http://www.pinzgauer.com/shpics.php?table=vehicles&idnum=91

The Pinzguaer is pretty cool, I saw a great documentary (or possibly extended commercial) about the development of the vehicle a while back. The Swiss are still making ingenious tiny machines for taking care of their steep farms and roads that look like great toys, just check out Aebi.

You get some pretty crazy fields there in the alps, and you have to farm them somehow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dD1kXOhC5Q

For "only" US$19,500, we have the opportunity to possess the ultimate in Swiss craftsmanship AND have a kick-butt toy that will impress (hopefully in a good way) the neighbors!

I have a M100 trailer, so I have all that covered as well.

Having driven numerous jeeps, Kubelwagon's, pinzauers, Mitymights, Mule's, uniMogs, 2 1/2Ton, and a '43 White Halftracks. For the price Pinzauers are overated

Top Bottom