What's new

Security Systems, Security Cameras, Companies, Etc.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I spent most of yesterday reading about systems, particularly reading about security cameras. As far as I can determine, there are several issues.
  • Some have too high monthly monitoring or usage fees.
  • Many of the wireless cameras don't work all that well, certainly not like they're advertised to work; they have significant lag time, buffering issues, server issues, and all sorts of glitches and bugs. Some reviews are good. A great many reviews are horrible.
  • Wired systems are better, but they're not really an option for my daughter.
One camera seems to work great if it is connected to the router by an ethernet wire (for both power and to convey the data), but that won't work for her due to where the router is (and it can't be moved).

My daughter and I agree that all she needs is a security camera she can monitor from her cell phone, which also records what is going on in case she needs to show the cops an intruder's image.

There's a Ring camera which does that. There's an Amazon camera, and a Blink camera. Etc. All have terrible reviews, bugs, etc.

I don't see anything really reliable without getting into wired systems or expenses she thinks beyond her means. Of course, I will help her, but her vote counts here and counts a lot...

Happy shaves,

Jim

I've been researching and have determined the same, reliability and latency issues abound, seemingly.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Amazon's Blink XT cameras are an option; neighbor has, cousin has, both happy.

No monthly, no wires, uploads to cloud.

AA

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Update? Get an alarm system? Install a camera?

Fixing the entry point (screwing the attic access shut) seems to have solved the problem. The damn landlord knew this access point was there and didn't tell the girls or the cops; he should have. At least he finally fixed it.

I still need security for my home and am still interested in what to buy, etc.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I just came across this thread. I dont have a lot to add but a prowler gaining entry to gaslight your daughter and her roommate is scary. As I'm sure you're aware that kind of behavior, if stopped at that point of entry, can manifest in other ways. They need to stay vigilant.

I still need security for my home and am still interested in what to buy, etc.

I'm having the same problem. There have been prowlers around my neighborhood the last two summers, once again the other night. They're opportunists and very bold. It's an increasing issue.

Prowlers dont like light or anything that makes noise to alert anyone of their presence. Motion lights only go so far. I watched a prowler last summer walking through the dead areas where the motion lights didnt activate, he wasnt learning them, he knew them. What he didnt count on was me following behind him with a 1000 Lumen flashlight.

A friend had a similar problem years ago, someone broke into his garage. He wired a door trip to a buzzer that went off inside his bedroom. He caught the burglar inside the garage.

@martym might be able to give some advice on home security.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I just came across this thread. I dont have a lot to add but a prowler gaining entry to gaslight your daughter and her roommate is scary. As I'm sure you're aware that kind of behavior, if stopped at that point of entry, can manifest in other ways. They need to stay vigilant.

I'm having the same problem. There have been prowlers around my neighborhood the last two summers, once again the other night. They're opportunists and very bold. It's an increasing issue.

Prowlers dont like light or anything that makes noise to alert anyone of their presence. Motion lights only go so far. I watched a prowler last summer walking through the dead areas where the motion lights didnt activate, he wasnt learning them, he knew them. What he didnt count on was me following behind him with a 1000 Lumen flashlight.

A friend had a similar problem years ago, someone broke into his garage. He wired a door trip to a buzzer that went off inside his bedroom. He caught the burglar inside the garage.

@martym might be able to give some advice on home security.

The landlord fixed the problem in my daughter's apartment. There was a hidden access to the attic (not obvious even looking for it) from a closet. He knew of it all the time, and finally sealed it.

The other option (which I almost took) was for someone to secretly wait in the apartment with a shotgun when the girls were gone. I'm not into some criminal Creepy Crawling my daughter.

We've put in a RING system at home (not finished entirely but it's up and running). Most of my neighbors have systems with outdoors camera views. I don't think it stops the prowlers.

Around here everybody has a gun. One of our local judges who lives nearby shot and killed an intruding burglar a couple or so years ago; the intruders know what happens if somebody is home.

I think we have fewer prowlers than we used to, but a higher percentage of the prowlers are serious criminals now, and have skills.

Happy shaves and stay safe,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The other option (which I almost took) was for someone to secretly wait in the apartment with a shotgun when the girls were gone. I'm not into some criminal Creepy Crawling my daughter.

It works. At least it did with a friend of mine when we were young. His father use to sleep in his bed and wait for him to come home. Why wait up, might as well have a nap haha.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
So, I want to continue my story about this topic. I live in Chicago where are a lot of criminals so it's normal that I worry about my family. However, I think that video cameras can improve security, but right now I don't know which one is best? I know about the security cameras that work on the battery. A friend of mine, that lives in my neighborhood gave me a recommendation where I can choose the best options of cameras Battery Powered Wireless Outdoor Security Camera Reviews For 2020 - https://www.ddcountermeasures.com/best-battery-powered-security-camera/ . I'm thinking to buy one, can you guys help me to choose the best option?
Welcome to the club my friend!

We live out in the country. Redneck country, where we shoot, shovel, and shut up, lol.

We too are looking into a camera system.

I just stumbled upon this thread, because you resurrected it. Thank you.

So Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers , hope you and yours are safe. I have a son, and am not at all happy at the thought of someone messing with him.

I did stupid as a lad, but I never did any B and E.

One of the risks of such behavior is being shot in the face by an old man with questionable morals and poor health! Lol......kinda.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
So, I want to continue my story about this topic. I live in Chicago where are a lot of criminals so it's normal that I worry about my family. However, I think that video cameras can improve security, but right now I don't know which one is best? I know about the security cameras that work on the battery. A friend of mine, that lives in my neighborhood gave me a recommendation where I can choose the best options of cameras Battery Powered Wireless Outdoor Security Camera Reviews For 2020 - https://www.ddcountermeasures.com/best-battery-powered-security-camera/ . I'm thinking to buy one, can you guys help me to choose the best option?

I'd be interested in this, too.

In 2016 we researched this and put up cameras around our house. As I am what my wife affectionately likes to call a "cheap bastard" what I wanted was something that was of reasonable quality and did not come with a monthly fee. The idea was something modern, easy to install, and really helped us stay alert to attempted break-ins etc (not really an issue but you only really need to be broken into once)

Where we landed was Arlo with 4 cameras with just Arlo basic. This gives you 7 days of recording (which is enough for this purpose) and the camera quality both day/night is really just superb. Our cameras are I think 3 generations behind the current ones so I am sure the quality is crazy good now. My favorite feature of the Arlo's is you can connect it to your phones, so it automatically geofences when the phones leave the house. We did not wire ours in but the battery life is ludicrously good because of the motion detection and have two outside (including winter) and two inside pointing at doors.

Beyond that there seem to be a ton of new security AI / subscription plans / ludicrous gizmos that glue on to this now you can add on but we did not really do this:

We have fortunately not needed the security side of this but in night mode we definitely have caught some mischievous trash pandas hanging out on our barn enjoying themselves :)

regards
Avi

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
We have the ring and i can say without question that our letter carrier must be famous with the amount of video we have of this guy. Garbage trucks are a close second. I bought the amazon camera to put up near the driveway last year but haven't gotten around to it.

Anybody concerned about the double edged sword of subscription monitoring? Sure, you can see what’s happening in your apartment, but so can Ring/Google/Amazon...whom ever the provider. It’s like you’ve just bought the TV screen from 1984 and installed it yourself for Big Brother to have full access to your home “for your own safety” of course...

I am also an Arlo user. I have both the first gen 720 and the first gen 1080p cameras. I also have their extended service keeping film for 30 days, and allowing more then 5 cameras. I get to watch the deer eat my landscaping, and the foxes playing with my cats.

I have been quite happy with the set up!

Reactions: Avi

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Anybody concerned about the double edged sword of subscription monitoring? Sure, you can see what’s happening in your apartment, but so can Ring/Google/Amazon...whom ever the provider. It’s like you’ve just bought the TV screen from 1984 and installed it yourself for Big Brother to have full access to your home “for your own safety” of course...

I'd say it doesn't matter but it does. We know all about data harvesting now. Good point you're making but what's the solution?

Happy shaves,

Jim

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
16 cameras and 23 floodlights.
4 cameras inside the house and 12 outside
The floodlights are on a digital timer.
Alarm system too.

Top Bottom