What's new

The nice old box thread

We made some boxes similar to that in high school to teach us folding sheet metal and soldering. Well, to tell the truth, most of the time we were just making ninja stars when the teachers back was turned, but….
Thanks for sharing this story, made me smile

Here's one for you @Legion.

As well as being very lovely, this is interesting too because it clearly shows that the thing you often see where the bit of a side of a stone box is missing... is intentional, not just because of a multi-part construction breaking a bit. It's obviously been carved like this here. BUT WHY???

IMG-4915.jpg

IMG-4912 (1).jpg

IMG-4902.JPG

IMG-4894.jpg

Here's one for you @Legion.

As well as being very lovely, this is interesting too because it clearly shows that the thing you often see where the bit of a side of a stone box is missing... is intentional, not just because of a multi-part construction breaking a bit. It's obviously been carved like this here. BUT WHY???

View attachment 1602514

View attachment 1602515

View attachment 1602516

View attachment 1602512
So I wonder if the lid is a tight fit when it swells and shrinks due to humidity if the lid got stuck on the stone. So they removed that bit or it broke from the swelling. Removing that bit would allow them to lift the lid off and stop it from sticking. I have a few with tight fits that when the wood swells it can be rather difficult to get the lid off the stone.

So I wonder if the lid is a tight fit when it swells and shrinks due to humidity if the lid got stuck on the stone. So they removed that bit or it broke from the swelling. Removing that bit would allow them to lift the lid off and stop it from sticking. I have a few with tight fits that when the wood swells it can be rather difficult to get the lid off the stone.

Ooh, now that's the best guess / explanation I've heard. I think you might be onto something there T.

You're right - I've also had lots of old stones that get stuck in the top of their box, and that would probably be a very good way to help prevent it.

Legion

Staff member
Ooh, now that's the best guess / explanation I've heard. I think you might be onto something there T.

You're right - I've also had lots of old stones that get stuck in the top of their box, and that would probably be a very good way to help prevent it.
I’m betting one time the stone got stuck in the lid, pulled free of the base, and he had to cut that hole in the end of the lid to put something in there and lever it out.

Yep. Or this same effect and a drop or a knock on something stout. Humidity can do funny things to different types of wood or sealants too.

Nice old pink-y / orange-y Washita in this week. I didn't actually even sand the box here, just cleaned the grime off and put a finishing coat on (the same kinds of thing we use to degrease stones is also very good for cleaning the gunk off boxes).

It has something you often see particularly on old whetstone boxes in the UK, which is the owner's name stamped into the wood. +10 Etymology Cool Points for anyone who already knew what I'm going to say below about why I found the name 'R.H. Ferrier' pleasingly appropriate for someone with a nice sharpening stone...

IMG-5208.jpg

IMG-5203 (1).jpg

IMG-5204.jpg

---

The surname Ferrier comes from 'Farrier' - a person who makes horseshoes. Itself derived from the medieval / Middle English 'Ferrour', and French 'Ferreor' - a blacksmith. And ultimately the root of the name or word is from the Latin 'Ferrum' - iron.

Last edited:
Dang that looks lovely. What is the size on that one? Got a box for a 10”? My big one only has a wood base.🥲

Cheers, it did come out pretty sweet eh! Stone is 9x2.

Most of the boxes there are from old SiC or India type stones, so they're largely 8x2. Even the one I used you can see had some wood bits glued in to take it down to fit an 8" stone, but was a pretty perfect size for the GR after I knocked them out. I'll have a look and see if there's anything larger in there for you, but I think it's unlikely I'm afraid...

Here’s my Hindostan with its box. I don’t keep the stone in the box, since I went through all the trouble degreasing the stone and the box is still soaked with oil, but I’m about to clean the box so they can stay together.

Attachments

• IMG_0081.jpeg
    IMG_0081.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0080.jpeg
    IMG_0080.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
Here’s my Hindostan with its box. I don’t keep the stone in the box, since I went through all the trouble degreasing the stone and the box is still soaked with oil, but I’m about to clean the box so they can stay together.

Sweet. Pretty stone too. :)

You can clean the box with whatever you use for degreasing stones. Wipe down, let dry, quick sanding and some oil.

(That’s what I do anyway!)

Top Bottom