What's new

The nice old box thread

This idea is way out there and I have no idea if it would work, but could you drill say a 1/4” hole in the bottom of the stand to the stone and use a rod to apply pressure to the stone? Something like a 2-jaw gear puller might allow you to keep a little pressure on the stone while you heat it up.

View attachment 1494205

Are you... thinking outside the box???

Thank you, thank you. Yes - I’m here all week.

If it wasn't banged in there with plaster under it. Drying it out and holding it over say your bed and wacking the edge upside down on your hand it should come loose. I have stones that in the humid times only release by doing this since they fit so tight. You can try twisting the wood lightly while upside down too. Wood expands in the humidity and shrinks when dry. Just some ideas to try anyway.
I usually put my hand over the stone then bang one end on the hardwood floor and they'll usually pop out with 2 or 3 good whacks.

This arrived yesterday, a recent eBay purchase. The labeling on the front (unfortunately a little hard to read in the photo below) is “Herter’s Washita”. I had not heard of Herter’s but a quick search revealed that they were a pretty big sporting goods mail order house from 1937-1981 based in Minnesota. Catalogue runs went as high as 500,000 copies per issue. Apparently they were quite entertaining as George Herter knew (or it least claimed to know) the very best way to do everything and offered all sorts of stories and advice throughout the catalogue. Of course all of the products that he offered were the finest to be had in all the land (according to George).

1329C08E-E6A0-4569-A17E-4F2D99A5B25C.jpeg
5B05B3B5-D83F-4234-8880-B6AF5CB79D7D.jpeg

Another quick search of eBay under “Herter” turned up all sorts of hunting and camping gear, nearly all of which bore Herter’s name as well as the name of the actual manufacturer. This stone likely did as well, but the bottom of the box shows some water damage and a pale spot where a label once was. There is one clue remaining however - near the missing label on the bottom of the box are stamped the characters WB 6 - which as I understand it was/is Norton’s PN for a 6” Washita. So the hope is that this is really a relabeled Norton. The stone is currently in degreaser - initially thought is that it doesn’t really look like my other Norton Washita’s, but then they don’t necessarily look all the same either.

A new one on me...

This Washita has a 'normal' wooden base, but the top of the box is made from very thick, hard leather. Possibly as some kind of strop? I've had boxes that incorporate a strip of leather on the top as a strop, but not something like this where the whole thing is leather.

Anyone got any tips for me re- leather restoration...?

IMG-1646.jpg

IMG-1647.jpg

Saddle soap. Get it all lathered up and wiped off. You’ll notice a huge improvement after one round but keep going if need be. Rehydrate the leather when you’re done with ballistol or similar.

A new one on me...

This Washita has a 'normal' wooden base, but the top of the box is made from very thick, hard leather. Possibly as some kind of strop? I've had boxes that incorporate a strip of leather on the top as a strop, but not something like this where the whole thing is leather.

Anyone got any tips for me re- leather restoration...?

View attachment 1529505

View attachment 1529504
+1 with the saddle soap. After that's all worked in good get it fixed up with YOUR favorite leather moisturizer.... *lather*. After that you'd probably be able to use it as a decent strop.

Legion

Staff member
Ah cheers @Sando @Empire straights - I shall grab myself some saddle soap! (I hadn't actually heard of it before).
Saddle soap, then a little Dubbin. You should be able to pick up the saddle soap in a place that sells equestrian supplies (as the name would suggest). If you can’t get that, a good wipe over with a very slightly damp rag, don’t soak the leather, air dry, then Dubbin. Don’t use too much, you are just trying to hydrate the leather, not soften it.

Normally if a stone is glued firm into a box I will endeavour to get it out by hook or by crook. (Or by breaking the box up by smacking it with a hammer n chisel, and epoxy-ing back together after!). But these two/three I didn’t want to risk damaging cos they’re kinda rare, so the stones are still stuck solid, and I’ve spruced up the boxes around them.

Idwal - Washita twin set:

AA324B59-99B7-4401-B7A1-FB49636318E7.jpeg

4D6A9CE6-235B-43C4-A1B5-96C4774E569E.jpeg

Escher Troutstone. This box was actually missing one half of the clasp bit on it, but luckily I had a spare Escher Troutstone box to hand (obvs) that had only the other half, so I took it off and put it on this one:

5C284C1A-C670-47EE-B1C5-3DAE26A43729.jpeg

E7480B02-D7C1-4C9C-B9D8-BB80AF76ED27.jpeg

Here's an interesting box... Containing, as you can probably see, an old Washita. With one of the lowest SGs I've had; fast-working, relatively coarse stone.

IMG-3110.jpg

IMG-3118.jpg

The label in the box is that of John and Edward Troughton, among London's foremost makers of Mathematical Instruments back in the day. Though unfortunately I don't believe they were also purveyors of whetstones, at least not this one. A little bit of googling and I found the exact label this is, and it dates to 1796 - somewhat earlier than the discovery of the Washita.

IMG-3114.jpg

Screenshot 2022-09-27 084706 (1).jpg

I picked up this 9x2 cos it was cheap, probably an Idwal or Charnley, and quite thin so I was going to break or saw it to make a combi or two. But it turned out to be something a bit more interesting - this is only the third Grecian stone I’ve had. Also largest, and probably the coarsest - I reckon it’s probably in the 5-6k range, and is just superb for knife edges.

So I decided to epoxy it back into the holder so it could live out its days in one piece. Not the fanciest ‘box’ in the world perhaps, but will keep an exceptional stone going for quite some time yet.

707C3905-56D7-404C-A78E-CF64E56ADC53.jpeg

A8FC8B70-C8AD-4008-B090-B7389AFD8AC8.jpeg

Top Bottom