What's new

The lonely forgotten desk pen

Desk pens are about all but forgotten in this day and age.

I enjoy using mine while at the desk signing checks,(when I don't use my Dip pens) jotting notes, etc. They usually hold a ton of ink and never seem to dry out because of the holder.

How about a few pic's.

$HPIM0797.jpg$HPIM0798.jpg$HPIM0799.jpg$HPIM0800.jpg
pencil.png

Attachments

• $HPIM0801.jpg
    $HPIM0801.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 130
View attachment 178706

$HPIM0802.jpg
The Parker Desk holder has a magnetic ball that can spin any angle

The next 3 are a special Sheaffer set that was given to members of congress. It is a cartridge only pen and has never been used. The white spots on the base are dust. It has a mirror finish
$HPIM0803.jpg$HPIM0805.jpg$HPIM0808.jpg
pencil.png

I think I know a lawyer in DC that would probably like to display this on his desk

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I remember these.
My dad always had one on his desk.

Classy. You don't see these around much anymore.
It's a classic gift for someone who has achieved a milestone of some sort.

Yes Sir. they always seem ready to write because of the angle they sit in the holder... but never seem to drip out the ink !!!

My best luck has been on ebay.... sometimes I would pick up just the pen and other times the holder.... a few times I have been really fortunate and gotten both. I did get the House of Rep pen at a garage sale tho.....

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Ive wanted to pick up a Schaeffer one for awhile. The MB 149 desk holder is a freaking king's ransom.

strop

Now half as wise
I have a ball point/FP Shaeffer set on my desk at work. About 25 years old now, and just as good as new.

Brian,
I've seen a number of these at antiques stores while looking for razors and such. What's a good price for one in good shape. I passed on $40, but can go back if that's a good price. Thanks.

A lot depends if it is a single or double. Parker tend to be more expensive then Schaeffer.... Parker "21" less then "51"... in the schaeffer "snorkels" tend to be more then the imperials.... and so forth.... Check out Ebay and search for Fountain Pen Desk set and select the vintage..... I've seen some on there for 150 and some for 9.00

View attachment 178706

View attachment 178707
The Parker Desk holder has a magnetic ball that can spin any angle

The next 3 are a special Sheaffer set that was given to members of congress. It is a cartridge only pen and has never been used. The white spots on the base are dust. It has a mirror finish
View attachment 178708View attachment 178709View attachment 178710
pencil.png

I think I know a lawyer in DC that would probably like to display this on his desk

I bet you know more than one lawyer in DC, or at least the DC area, that finds that House of Representatives Scheaffer set darn near erotic!!!!

How can that set have gotten this far without being inked! How could someone resist!

Perhaps I'll have to look into one of these. Any good tips on shopping for them?

Go for the best of both worlds - a wide number of nibs to road test, never having to use a lever filler to ink it, and the infinite variety of bottled inks.

Go for an Esterbrook Dip-Less, several differnt styles to choose from http://www.pendemonium.com/pens_esterbrook_gallery.htm

The 407 and 444 holders at the bottom work well as paper weights, as well as inkwells.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Go for the best of both worlds - a wide number of nibs to road test, never having to use a lever filler to ink it, and the infinite variety of bottled inks.

Go for an Esterbrook Dip-Less, several differnt styles to choose from http://www.pendemonium.com/pens_esterbrook_gallery.htm

The 407 and 444 holders at the bottom work well as paper weights, as well as inkwells.

I totally agree about the Esterbrooks, they are practical and affordable. I have one called the "eight-ball" I got for cheap.

Unlike the dip-less sets, mine has a lever fill desk pen holding ink with a rubber sac. I love the long clear tail!

Top Bottom