What's new

The lather in my brush wont transfer to my face, new to wet shaving

So i'm new to traditional shaving and i need help with my brush.

I'm using a shaving a cream and when i make a lather with it and use the brush on my face, despite the lather looking thick in the bowl, the lather on my face is very thin and i can see my skin behind it.

When i squeeze my brush and move my finger upwards, the lather comes out of my brush and i can see that there's lots of lather in in the brush but for some reason the lather just wont transfer to my face good enough. The lather just dips down the handle of the brush.

What's worse is that in the box of the brush it says that i should press the brush gently to my face and do circular motions but if i try to do that, there's even less, if AT ALL lather on my face this time.(In the above example i would press the brush to my face and let the hair of the brush spread like i saw the guys in the Youtube do it.)

What am i doing wrong? Why won't the lather transfer to my face?

Can you also explain the lathering process with a synthetic brush and explain how i should use my brush with detail if it's not much of a problem?

This is the brush i'm using with a Proraso shaving cream:

Last edited:
Welcome to the Madness!

As ackvil said without pics it’s tough to diagnose but indulge me as I share some of my own experiences and lessons from early lathering attempt...

1. use a LOT more product than what you think you need. With Proraso creams I usually put a generous inch and a half in my bowl (or smeared across my face if face-lathering). A well-fed brush is more willing to share so load up!
2. Check that your brush isn’t too wet (if the lather is running out the brush or is “thin” on your face it could indicate too much water, not enough product, or both). I’m not familiar with the brush in question but I am a fan of shorter lofts (Semogue 610 and Chubby 1s).
3. keep a journal of your shaves. Note down all the variables (brush, blade, cream/soap, how much water etc as well as outcome). With time you’ll have a good record of what is/isn’t working. Modern smartphones can easily record pics and I often photograph lather from new soaps I try.

Hope this helps.

If it is dripping down the handle possibly more product, or maybe more time to build the lather. You could also try face lathering then it will all be on your face already!

Top Bottom