What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Izo: Special Edition - I have been working through the portfolio of director Takashi Miike and I am generally appreciative of his work, but even for me, this film was a tough one to follow. The existential ramblings, the constant time-traveling and the explicit graphic violence made it tiresome after about 20 minutes, at a little over 2 hours it was insufferable.

I am not sure if some of the ridiculous dialogue was due to a botched translation or if it was just that bad on its own. I doubt even a hardcore fan would like this film, a person without previous exposure to Takashi Miike would not have made it through to the end.

My wife and I rented four movies to watch over the weekend, and didn't do a very good job of picking them this time. We first watched Fifty Shades of Gray. My wife enjoyed the book, but something was lost in taking it to the big screen. I found it impossible to care about or relate to either character. It wasn't even worth watching for the titallation.

We next watched Inherent Vice, which had good reviews from Rotten Tomatoes. I found it a boring mess of a film

American Sniper was next. Although an enjoyable action flick, it was hyped so much that I think my expectations were too high. I was expecting a 9 or 10/10 and found it a solid 7/10.

Last night, we watched The Voices with Ryan Reynolds. I think we tolerated less than half the movie before bailing out.

The Drop: The final film from James Gandofini, about a bar that is a drop point for mob money. Based on a short story by Dennis Lehane (Mystic River), it was rather slow to start and kept that leisurely pace - but finished well.

Mr. Holmes
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3168230/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Ian McKellan puts forth a stellar performance as an aging Sherlock Holmes. Its been 35 years since he retired from the detective game, and he must cope with the ravages of old age, including a failing memory and a frail body.

Holmes has moved out of Baker Street to a countryside estate where he pursues his passion for bee-keeping. He is looked after by Laura LInney as his housekeeper, and Milo Parker as her 9-year old son who adores Mr. Holmes and looks up to him as the father he never knew.

Holmes is writing the memoirs of his last and final case ... the one case that has remained unsolved all these years. He finally puts it all together at the end and solves the case, only to find out that he was outsmarted by the person he was hired to investigate.

This is a strange movie. Very hard to follow the plot, and the thick English accents make it difficult to understand what people are saying at times. I fell asleep several times, so did my brother. Between the two of us, we managed to fill in the missing pieces after the show let out. Even so, its the type of film you need to watch 3 or 4 times in order to get everything out of it.

$Stonehearst-Asylum-2014.jpg
Not what I thought it would be, but very good nonetheless.

BLOW
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0221027/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Johnny Depp stars as Boston George, the real life person who was at the top of the Cocaine trade in America in the late 1970s.

This bio-pic recounts his meteoric rise in the industry, from a Massachusetts teenager who moves to California and hustles dime bags of pot on the beach, to an entrepreneur who steals a private plane to import bulk weed direct from Mexico, to a savvy and gutsy businessman who partners up with Pablo Escobar to introduce cocaine to the United States and make it into a mult-billion dollar industry.

The movie shows a behind the scenes look at drug trafficking. Violent and Vulgar one minute. Glitzy and Glamorous the next. And throughout it all, the money flows like water.

I don't know how much artistic license the writers took with this film, or how accurate it is. It doesn't matter, the story is tight and believable, and flows along from one dramatic scene to the next so fast you don't even have time to think.

I liked this film ... it was a nice break from an otherwise boring Sunday afternoon. I'll give it 3 out of 4 stars.

Last edited:
Top Bottom