What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
After I watched Annihilation, I wasn’t sure what I had seen.

Alex Garland, the writer/director, likes to make his audience think. That movie is so deep that when it first came out there were reviews suggesting its too smart for the average movie goer. I dont think thats accurate, but if you dont follow it closely you can be left wondering what you had seen. I wont give it away but its all basically explained by the doctor in the scene below.

MV5BNDJlNWU5MGQtZGZhNC00ZjAyLTlkYzUtNDM2NzczY2EyNWI5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXBrZWVzZXk@._V1_.jpg

Much the same can be said for the movie Ex Machina and the tv miniseries Devs. You really need to pay attention to the nuances or you'll quickly be left in the dark.

This is what I think makes Alex Garland great at what he does. He makes us think in a way thats deeper and more outside the box than we might normally think and he does it in a visually stunning way. I was talking to my nephew about that yesterday and said that Tarsem Singh makes the most visually stunning movies I've seen. Alex Garland does the same while taking a very intelligent and scientific, if dark and disturbing, approach to 'what if'.

I preferred this to the original but I still started to find it a bit tedious after half an hour. I don't like/dislike films by genre but I have yet to find a zombie film that's compelling.

..., Zombie Flesh Eaters, by Lucio Fulci and Cannibal Apocalypse have just come back to me. Now that's how you make a zombie film!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

I preferred this to the original but I still started to find it a bit tedious after half an hour. I don't like/dislike films by genre but I have yet to find a zombie film that's compelling.

..., Zombie Flesh Eaters, by Lucio Fulci and Cannibal Apocalypse have just come back to me. Now that's how you make a zombie film!

I watched this the other night. It was pretty good.

This one is at the top of my list for that genre though.

Written by, guess who, Alex Garland haha.

Alex Garland, the writer/director, likes to make his audience think. That movie is so deep that when it first came out there were reviews suggesting its too smart for the average movie goer. I dont think thats accurate, but if you dont follow it closely you can be left wondering what you had seen. I wont give it away but its all basically explained by the doctor in the scene below.

View attachment 1085910

Much the same can be said for the movie Ex Machina and the tv miniseries Devs. You really need to pay attention to the nuances or you'll quickly be left in the dark.

This is what I think makes Alex Garland great at what he does. He makes us think in a way thats deeper and more outside the box than we might normally think and he does it in a visually stunning way. I was talking to my nephew about that yesterday and said that Tarsem Singh makes the most visually stunning movies I've seen. Alex Garland does the same while taking a very intelligent and scientific, if dark and disturbing, approach to 'what if'.

I cheated and Googled Annihilation Explanations. I see it now. I’ll need to watch it again...maybe two or three more times.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I cheated and Googled Annihilation Explanations. I see it now. I’ll need to watch it again...maybe two or three more times.

If you like movies that offer than kind of depth you might try this one.

I had a really hard time getting my head around that one but then I had an epiphany and it all clicked into place. I was completely astounded. Its very difficult to watch but it really is superb.

Few movies do that for me. Midsommar and Hereditary are two more. I cant think of other movies that gave me the creeps like either of those did. The tension is ramped up slowly like tightening a string.

Mother! is especially unsettling, but if I didnt let myself be absorbed into them I would have gotten very little from them.

Mother! is amazing.

As I've said here before, one of the half a dozen greatest pieces of film making I've ever experienced and, like those, it partners troubling subjects and situations with expertly timed tension. It comes in waves and when you're expecting (and desperate) for that tension to be released for the final time it increases further. The effect is both disturbing and unforgettable.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Mother! is amazing.

As I've said here before, one of the half a dozen greatest pieces of film making I've ever experienced and, like those, it partners troubling subjects and situations with expertly timed tension. It comes in waves and when you're expecting (and desperate) for that tension to be released for the final time it increases further. The effect is both disturbing and unforgettable.

Agreed. Mother! is an exceptional film!

been watching the Hobbit with the kids. First exposure to the Lord of the ring (finished up this on last thursday) and we just started the hobbit last night.
Kids are supprisingly into these movies.
Lots of time so were of course watching the extended editions ( I believe that the extended Hobit edition is 4 hours long).

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Was home alone last night.
I watched:
Bangkok Dangerous and The Padre
Why?
Because no one else was home and I got to watch what I felt like watching!
And get this. I sat in my recliner. My chair. And I left the seat up on all 3 toilets until I went to bed. (Frowned upon with 4 females)
I was the King of my castle last night and it felt great!!

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Starting the James Bond cycle with, of course, "Dr. No."

Love binging on franchise films. The "Thin Man" series, and anything with Charlie Chan (especially when played by Warner Oland) are perennial favorites.

Been re-watching old stuff lately The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly and stumbled across "Second Hand Lions" last weekend its a great watch...

been watching the Hobbit with the kids. First exposure to the Lord of the ring (finished up this on last thursday) and we just started the hobbit last night.
Kids are supprisingly into these movies.
Lots of time so were of course watching the extended editions ( I believe that the extended Hobit edition is 4 hours long).

I may be quite a bit younger than you but when I was in my teens I read The Hobbit, which then led to me reading all three of The Lord Of The Rings books. I found they totally drew me in. At the time I was enamored with the Adirondack Mountains. This was the late 70's. At that time the Adirondack Park was not overrun with tourists like it is today. We would go backpacking and much of the forest that we hiked through could very well have been described in different parts of any of those Tolkien books. While I was thrilled when they finally made the Ring books into movies, I have to say that the vividness of Tokien's writing made reading the books a much more rewarding experience than the movies ever could be. If you have any affinity for the outdoors and the sense of exploration that is forefront in these stories I highly recommend reading the books, starting with The Hobbit and then the Ring Trilogy. If you come from the Harry Potter generation you may not connect as I did but Harry Potter wasn't written when I was a kid. But I found I could relate to Tolkien. Interestingly enough, I thought the movies would be movies that I could watch over and over again. That hasn't turned out to be the case. Maybe it's my age. Not sure what. But I don't find myself drawn to them as much as I feel the desire to sit down and re-read the books. A subject for a different day.

Top Bottom