What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Sink the Bismarck! from 1960. The film chronicles the hunt for and battles with the German super battleship in the North Atlantic in 1941. It's not only exciting, but it features a solid "people" subplot involving Kenneth More as the director of operations in London, his worry over his son in the RAF, and Dana Wynter as his Wren assistant. Very good stuff.

On Svengoolie on Saturday night, I caught The Beast Must Die, a 1974 werewolf mystery. A millionaire huntsman invites 5 people to his estate in the UK. Each has a history of violent mysterious death happening around him. Our hunter has decided that one of them is a werewolf, and he is determined to kill the creature. It's loosely, very loosely, based on a short story by James Blish which cleverly explains almost all the traditional lycanthrope lore in scientific fashion. The film is not that well done -- several of the actors are dubbed -- and is not a good mystery; there are no real clues at all. But it features a "werewolf break" in which the movie pauses to allow you to guess who the killer is (hilarious that they use the Jeopardy "Final" music!). And there is a false solution, then the true, again in Ellery Queen tradition. Nice to see it again, but it's no classic.

#Alive (2020) - A Korean zombie survival film, really enjoyed this one, not a complicated plot but a very modern take on it and how technology would play a part in it. One small confession to make, we started it late, I had had a couple of glasses of wine and a G&T already, so we went with the dubbed version...

Murder by Death, damn that movie makes me laugh!

1617132076353.png

The Court Jester (1955) I can usually stand very little of Danny Kaye, but this is his finest hour. This film fits his unique talents like a glove. Plus the supporting cast in incredible.

Godzilla vs Kong The good: great special effects, yes Mechagodzilla is a major part of the movie, Ghidra even has a cameo. The bad: it's full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. I was left cold at the end because the humans are just so forgettable.

Top Bottom