What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

I have a fondness for Walter Hill movies so I watched The Assignment. I won't say it was horrid, but it came close to that. My main problem was Michelle Rodriguez. She's fine as a woman, but as a man, she's still a woman.

thebleeder.jpg

One of the best boxing films I've seen, great music and a real star turn from Naomi Watts.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I watched Ford v Ferrari a while back. It was an okay movie based on a great and inspiring true story. The movie felt a bit flat and rushed like they were trying to compress too many years into 2 1/2 hours. The performances were about the same. A lack of emotion and rushed. Its too bad, that could have been a truly great movie.

My own Oscar predictions:

Best Actor - Joaquin Phoenix for Joker or Willem Dafoe for The Lighthouse.

Best Picture - 1917 but, I've only seen about 5 minutes of it so far. From that very quick watch it appears to be impeccably made, well written and acted and with fantastic cinematography and directing. I'll be putting it on to watch shortly.

Best Director - Sam Mendes, 1917.

Definitely agree the Oscar front runners above. However, I just saw Jojo Rabbit. Easily my favourite movie from 2019. Also, not sure why my auto correct chose the British spelling on favorite

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
1917 is a technical marvel. Seamless invisible editing. I've seen some long shots but I've never seen an entire movie shot like that before. Impressive.

I wouldnt be the least surprised if Roger Deakins wins Best Cinematography and whoever did the editing to win Best Editing too. That movie has 10 nominations and I expect it to win several.

A very well done, (mostly) true story.

I started to watch this a while back and wasn't feeling it, so I stopped after the first 10 minutes or so. I'll give it another go.

I watched The Killing of a Sacred Deer last night. It was indeed excellent. Faultless film making really. Yorgos Lanthimos must be one of the best directors around right now. He may even be able to cure me of my 'Olivia Colman problem', although the brilliant Fleabag has already made some ground there.

Midsommar's up tonight.

Knives out

super fantastic amazing movie!
I just watched this last night. It was certainly a great movie, but I almost turned it off as soon as I heard Daniel Craig's terrible accent. Glad I stuck it out, though.
The Joker. It was okay.
I watched Joker a few nights ago. Very mixed feelings about it. Part of me agrees with the above sentiment, and part of me wants to like it more. I am a bigger fan of Ledger as the Joker personally.
3:17 to Paris.

I'm left baffled as to why Eastwood felt he had to make this picture. I know the story, and salute the heroism of those involved. But, honestly, the story "around" the events on the train was utterly tiresome.
Saw this a while back and I couldn't agree more. Tiresome is probably the best way to describe it.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I just watched this last night. It was certainly a great movie, but I almost turned it off as soon as I heard Daniel Craig's terrible accent. Glad I stuck it out, though.

I watched Joker a few nights ago. Very mixed feelings about it. Part of me agrees with the above sentiment, and part of me wants to like it more. I am a bigger fan of Ledger as the Joker personally.

Saw this a while back and I couldn't agree more. Tiresome is probably the best way to describe it.
for me the accent was unexpected but well done. He also kept the accent consistent throughout.

Midsommar proves that Hereditary was no one off. I watched the theatrical version on Blu-ray, which looked fantastic, and I'll watch the directors cut next. The film can easily take the extra 30 minutes or so with no feeling of lagging in the 2 1/2 hours of the standard version. Brave and original film making from Ari Aster once again as he piles horror on top of tradegy.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Midsommar proves that Hereditary was no one off. I watched the theatrical version on Blu-ray, which looked fantastic, and I'll watch the directors cut next. The film can easily take the extra 30 minutes or so with no feeling of lagging in the 2 1/2 hours of the standard version. Brave and original film making from Ari Aster once again as he piles horror on top of tradegy.

I've only seen the DC, and yeah, the lighting, colours and cinematography are fantastic. Not to mention the sound, directing, writing and acting haha. The same cinematographer did both Midsommar and Hereditary. Pawel Pogorzelski. Its almost as good visually as a Tarsem Singh movie.

Which reminds me, if you havent seen The Fall, watch it. Its visually spectacular and yet theres a very dark story behind it.

Immortals too for that matter, and then why not The Cell lol. I think Tarsem Singh makes the most visually striking movies I've ever seen. Art, in motion.

And with that, my night is planned.

deadwood (2).jpg

I've only seen the DC, and yeah, the lighting, colours and cinematography are fantastic. Not to mention the sound, directing, writing and acting haha. The same cinematographer did both Midsommar and Hereditary. Pawel Pogorzelski. Its almost as good visually as a Tarsem Singh movie.

Which reminds me, if you havent seen The Fall, watch it. Its visually spectacular and yet theres a very dark story behind it.

Immortals too for that matter, and then why not The Cell lol. I think Tarsem Singh makes the most visually striking movies I've ever seen. Art, in motion.

And with that, my night is planned.

View attachment 1055180

Tarsem Singh is a name I'm not familiar with, he's completely passed me by for some reason and I haven't seen any of his films, though I know of Immortals and The Cell rings a distant bell. The Fall, on the other hand, I've never heard of. I'll check it out.

Top Bottom