What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Cloud Atlas comes out this Friday, but I know it's been shown at film festivals. Anybody seen it? I read the book, which is not an easy read. I couldn't believe that someone attempted to make a movie of it. Anyway, the reviews range from "hated it" from some (especially if they never read the book), to "the best big movie since Avatar" (which I loved in 3D).

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Extremely slow, and very possibly the worst movie of the spy genre that I have taken the time to watch. It was 2 hours of my life that I'll never get back. And yes, I thought it was "that bad"!

Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the Ring.
Starting Two Towers this week.
I'm enjoying watching it this time with my kids as they are now old enough. My son, who just turned 8, is really loving them.

Sinister - Most horror movies just don't do it for me, and this was no different. My willful suspension of disbelief has a very low threshold. However, there were a few suspenseful moments that made me jump. Also, the soundtrack and atmospherics were quite good!

Last edited:
"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" - it was last Friday evening's movie in the dining hall at my son's Parent-and-Pal weekend at Cub Scout camp. A little closer to the book in some ways than the old Gene Wilder version, but the book is still better. The addition of scenes regarding Wonka's childhood and emotional/psychological state were quite unnecessary, to my thinking; "Fantastic Mr. Fox" did a much better job of capturing Dahl's quirky sensibility.

I watched the following over the weekend:
The Best of Times (1986) - This is an old favorite of mine that features Robin Williams and Kurt Russel replaying a classic game of high school football. Or something like that.

The Uninvited (1944) - I really enjoyed this classic, spooky tale. The actress that played Stella was absolutely stunning, and stole the show for me.

The Rite (2011) - I was hoping this would be scarier, but no. Which is probably a good thing, or my wife wouldn't have watched it with me. :) Anthony Hopkins was a solid lead in this one and did as he normally does. Decent Halloween fare.

Just returned from watching "Cloud Atlas" at the IMAX theater. I had read the book I could not imagine how they could make a movie of it. I absolutely loved it.

Top Bottom