What's new

The Ideal Shaving Mug?

I found a Frankona stoneware mug at an antique store for $10. I think it might have been intended to be a soup bowl? It's wide enough that I don't bang the sides with the brush handle, and I can get my hand in there easily if I'm using a stubby brush. I love it. My lathering got a lot more consistent immediately when I started using it. Only downside is that a brush without a lip on the butt of the handle will slide into the bowl.

20210831_063953.jpg

I didn't realize anyone thought this was a question. The best shaving mug is, of course, a scuttle.

proxy.php

I have a scuttle. I use it when I want warm lather. I have a larger lathering bowl when I usually want to bowl lather. I prefer the new Fendrihan mug to both of them for normal mug lathering. YMMV

Are you using these mugs the traditional way, with a puck of soap seated in the bottom? I see the second from the left has soap.

Those are all great looking mugs. The most important thing is the soap fits well. That is not an issue with soft artisan or glycerin soaps. It is nice not to have to do a lot of whittling on a triple milled soap to get in snuggly.

I agree short and/or flared walls are the most comfortable to use. The taller ones pair better with a long handled brush.

Using the type of mug is much closer to using a soap in a tub with extra room than to using a lather bowl. You get lather started in the mug and work it to a nice finish on your face. It blurs the distinction between bowl and face lathering, but is actually more traditional. You could do a dry load from a mug, but I don't find any benefit from dividing the steps.

JD

Yes, I usually use a mug in the traditional way. I have somewhere around 30 of them loaded with different soaps. Most soap pucks will easily fit the Fendrihan mug. Hard milled tallow soaps that don't fit can be grated with a cheese grater and pressed into place. Vege based soaps can be melted in the mug in the microwave for a perfect fit.

I usually lather in the traditional way I learned as a teenager over 60 years ago, lathering in the mug above the soap.

For me a mug would be a loading vessel not a lathering one.
I tend to use a Japanese suribachi to store my soap for the week and as a loading vessel.
But lathering is done on my face or if I want better control in a bowl or scuttle.
Want unbreakable recommend
Captains choice copper bowl
Pereira unbreakable bowl
Paa unbreakable travel scuttle

Do not mind some damage the question will be bowl or where it hits…. A nice granite mortar

View attachment 1326850

Great bowl, cost me a bit but it is beautiful and creates a great bowl of lather.
Holy Smokes! Beautiful, but I'd be afraid to use it, looks like it belongs in a museum from 13th century China or something, LOL!

I may have found the ideal shaving mug. It is shorter than most that are similar to it and it is well tapered. Bottom is the same diameter as an Old Spice Mug, but it is tapered and opens wide. First picture is the ideal mug with a 22 mm Finest brush, and the second picture is with other mugs for perspective.

View attachment 1326738View attachment 1326740
Thank you for sharing this! I'm in the market for a new mug. The one I have is good for travel but too small for everyday use.
I just ordered that mug along with 200 Personna Platinum DE blades.

Last edited:
Gentlemen, there is no such thing as an ideal shaving mug, any more than there is an ideal razor or an ideal brand of blade.

Probably the best mug for most folks is one of the vintage Old Spice mugs. Their downsides are they're breakable and they are not microwavable.

Gentlemen, there is no such thing as an ideal shaving mug, any more than there is an ideal razor or an ideal brand of blade.

Probably the best mug for most folks is one of the vintage Old Spice mugs. Their downsides are they're breakable and they are not microwavable.

I like Old Spice mugs as long as you are using smaller brushes. The 19mm to 22mm brushes seem to be the sweet spot. I have eight of them in use at the moment and have probably given twenty or so away. Most if not all of them have been microwaved to set a puck of veggie soap firmly within, so I'm not afraid of microwaving them.

Larger brushes need a bigger mug. I can't begin to use an Old Spice mug with one of my 30 mm brushes and probably not with anything 26 mm and above. The mug I opened this thread likes those bigger brushes, although I have even bigger mugs for the biggest brushes.

Big Jim, I had an Old Spice mug explode in the microwave, though to be fair it was an older mug perhaps dating from the early 1950's.

I was softening a puck of soap that was a little small for the diameter of the mug.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
I enjoy surplus US Army Medical Department containers. They are bulletproof, beautiful, plentiful, and inexpensive. Dad served in WWII as a Navy nurse at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital in Washington DC. The bowl at right was his. All are a daily reminder of the “Greatest Generation.”

7BC9391A-A552-45B1-8116-AF952FF8D897.jpeg0

Top Bottom