What's new

The day I learned how to drink scotch.....and then forgot.

When I used to drink to get drunk I stumbled on the method of drinking whisky with water. Nothing special, just Bells or Famous Grouse, topped up with half a glass or so of water. Enough to dilute it for easy, quick drinking.

I haven't drank like that for a long time. When I started to drink for the taste and experience rather than the effects of alcohol, one of the first things I tried was single malt. I drank it neat, a small measure and sipped it slowly, spending time with it, trying to pick out the flavour notes, the aromas, the finish. Never more than a glass at a time. It was enjoyable, but I always had to take very small sips, due to the intense, spikiness from the high alcohol content. That was maybe 10 years ago. Now, I drink even less frequently but in much the same way. Until three nights ago. That day, I'd been very impressed after reading one of the stories from Hemmingway's 'In Our Time', a story where Nick and Bill decide to get drunk. They drink Irish whisky first, then a bottle of scotch, and both with water. When they have the first drink, Nick says he likes the smokey taste, which leads to a discussion about peat. On one of the subsequent refills, Bill asks Nick "how much water", and he replies, "about the same".

Later that same evening, I was half way through a film when the story from earlier in the day popped into my head and I decided to have a glass of scotch. Single malt, whisky and water, equal parts. It was revelation. I could discern all of the flavours but without the roughness of drinking it neat, or the wishy washiness of being over diluted. It was still intense but very, very palatable. It was so enjoyable, so delicious, such a thrilling and new experience that when I finished it I immediately poured myself another.

Maybe I drank the first glass a little quickly or maybe I'm just not used to it, but it went straight to my head. So much so that, as I settled down for the second glass, after the first sip my old instinct kicked in and my first thought was "more water". I topped it up and instantly realised my mistake. For the rest of the glass it was like drinking in the old days, over diluted, with none of the intense, complexity of the first, wonderful glass. I suppose somethings, when they're that great, just can't be repeated.

About two years ago one of my sons gifted me a ticket to a Scotch tasting event. The tasting lasted four hours. The first part was a discussion by an individual who was a contributor to scotchwhisky.com and another who was a bartender from Scotland. I thought these individuals would be Scotch snobs who would only drink their Scotch neat. The first thing both individuals agreed on was that you should find what suits you best. If you like a few drops of water or a small ice cube that was fine.

We tasted 8 different Scotches. In front of us were a Glencairn glass, a glass straw, a glass of filtered water, and various foods to cleanse the palate between tastings. We were told to start tasting with no water and then add some water by the drop with the glass straw and record our comments. With some of the Scotches I preferred to drink them neat but a few tasted better with some water added to it.

In November my daughter-in-law invited us over for a Scotch tasting to celebrate my son's birthday She followed the same procedure. It was interesting to see that my son and I preferred most of the Scotches neat. However, my wife, daughter-in-law, and my wife preferred a few drops of water in the Scotch.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Apparently at tastings, diluted to 30% ABV is quite common. So if it's 40% ABV whisky, it's three parts whisky, one part water (add 1/3 again of water). If 45% ABV whisky, it's two parts whisky, one part water (add 1/2 again of water).

I wasn't taught that way.

I was taught to just add a drop, and wait. Water is a catalyst, which wakes the whisky up. When the scent changes up a gear, you're good to go. Put your tongue to the back of your bottom teeth, pour in a little whisky, and let it run off the side of your tongue into the bottom of your mouth. Your mouth will start to fill with vapours, then swallow.

Hammered. Quickly. But the flavours really come alive too. Some "wake up" more than others. Islay whiskeys really zing. The more subtle flavoured ones don't change as noticeably. A bottle used to last me a lot longer after that. No more just knocking it back neat, which is what I'd done before.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The first part was a discussion by an individual who was a contributor to scotchwhisky.com and another who was a bartender from Scotland. I thought these individuals would be Scotch snobs who would only drink their Scotch neat. The first thing both individuals agreed on was that you should find what suits you best. If you like a few drops of water or a small ice cube that was fine
One should balance the advice of trusted experts and connoisseurs with one's own preferences and experience. No point reinventing the wheel ... and no need to blindly follow "the rules".

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
A few drops of water is all it takes to open the Whisky up so you can appreciate the complex notes. :)

Not too much, though or you'll 'drown' the Whisky. ;)

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I enjoy 12 year McCallan for a single malt. It is a good scotch without breaking the bank. I put 3 drops of water in a traditional 2 ounce neat. I tried an ice cube but I don't like how it chills the scotch as it melts.

About two years ago one of my sons gifted me a ticket to a Scotch tasting event. The tasting lasted four hours. The first part was a discussion by an individual who was a contributor to scotchwhisky.com and another who was a bartender from Scotland. I thought these individuals would be Scotch snobs who would only drink their Scotch neat. The first thing both individuals agreed on was that you should find what suits you best. If you like a few drops of water or a small ice cube that was fine.

We tasted 8 different Scotches. In front of us were a Glencairn glass, a glass straw, a glass of filtered water, and various foods to cleanse the palate between tastings. We were told to start tasting with no water and then add some water by the drop with the glass straw and record our comments. With some of the Scotches I preferred to drink them neat but a few tasted better with some water added to it.

In November my daughter-in-law invited us over for a Scotch tasting to celebrate my son's birthday She followed the same procedure. It was interesting to see that my son and I preferred most of the Scotches neat. However, my wife, daughter-in-law, and my wife preferred a few drops of water in the Scotch.

Sound like fun. Drinking without the aim of getting drunk has turned out to be a much more enjoyable way to drink. Far less wasteful too.

I was taught to just add a drop, and wait. Water is a catalyst, which wakes the whisky up. When the scent changes up a gear, you're good to go. Put your tongue to the back of your bottom teeth, pour in a little whisky, and let it run off the side of your tongue into the bottom of your mouth. Your mouth will start to fill with vapours, then swallow.

A few drops of water is all it takes to open the Whisky up so you can appreciate the complex notes.

I might give that a try next time, cheers.

Not too much, though or you'll 'drown' the Whisky.

'Drowned'. Yep, perfect description of what I did the other night and what I used to do years ago.

Its quite common to put a bit of water in your scotch in Europe. The ice/neat idea always felt a bit American. That said I have been to bars that have distilled water on hand just for this. The idea is it opens up the aromatics (etc). I do agree with that but I do think there is a subtext of taking the edge out of it as well so it doesn't feel like you are drinking shots at a bar like a teenager (I say that as it is clear many people put far more than "drops", I do this as well), maybe that was the first cocktail: scotch and flat soda : your 50/50 ;)

Avi

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I might give that a try next time, cheers.

'Drowned'. Yep, perfect description of what I did the other night and what I used to do years ago.

When I still drank, Laphroaig 10 with about four to five drops of room temperature filtered (or distilled) water was my evening drink. :)

When I still drank, Laphroaig 10 with about four to five drops of room temperature filtered (or distilled) water was my evening drink. :)

I love Laphroaig, though I've only had it neat and not sure when I'll next have any. I don't drink much at all these days and like to look after myself. But I exercise regularly and eat well so a cheeky whisky every 2 or 3 weeks shouldn't hurt.

A "Scotch and Threat" is what you ask for, so for instance "Macallan and threat please"

It means you threaten the Whisky with water, but only put a tiny amount in... (honestly, it's a real thing in Scotland)

Also, it always tastes better in a heavy tumbler.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

A "Scotch and Threat" is what you ask for, so for instance "Macallan and threat please"

It means you threaten the Whisky with water, but only put a tiny amount in... (honestly, it's a real thing in Scotland)

Also, it always tastes better in a heavy tumbler.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

"Scotch and Threat", I like it.

cape-fear.jpg

I have been to a number of Scotch ‘nosings.’ Great fun!!

Some just add a wee bit of water to their spirits. Others drink theirs neat. Either way is just fine!!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Some just add a wee bit of water to their spirits. Others drink theirs neat. Either way is just fine!!

I like to do both when nosing. I'll evaluate it neat and then add a bit of water to see how it opens and changes.

When just drinking, I may or may not add water. It depends on the whisky, my mood, the context of the moment, and goodness only knows what else.

Top Bottom