What's new

The Codger Cabin

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
@Columbo I had read somewhere, perhaps on TR, that Prince Albert was first blended in 1852 and later bought by J R Reynolds. Have you ever heard this?

My understanding is that PA was introduced by RJR in 1907, in celebration of Edward VII, whose visage has graced the cans ever since.

Edward VII (formerly Prince Albert, not to be confused with Prince Albert, the Queen’s husband), was an avid smoker, while Queen Victoria was not. In fact, Victoria did not permit smoking in the Palace. And the story goes, that upon assuming the throne in 1901, Edward promptly famously declared, “Gentlemen, you may smoke”. That is likely what prompted RJR to dedicate the blend to him.

Considering Edward’s birth date and reign era, it seems unlikely that the name would have been coined in 1852. You had mentioned that blend creation date before. But I have yet to see it confirmed anywhere else to contradict the 1907 date that is widely attributed to RJR.

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
My understanding is that PA was introduced by RJR in 1907, in celebration of Edward VII, whose visage has graced the cans ever since.

Edward VII (formerly Prince Albert, not to be confused with Prince Albert, the Queen’s husband), was an avid smoker, while Queen Victoria was not. In fact, Victoria did not permit smoking in the Palace. And the story goes, that upon assuming the throne in 1901, Edward promptly famously declared, “Gentlemen, you may smoke”. That is likely what prompted RJR to dedicate the blend to him.

Considering Edward’s birth date and reign era, it seems unlikely that the name would have been coined in 1852. You had mentioned that blend creation date before. But I have yet to see it confirmed anywhere else to contradict the 1907 date that is widely attributed to RJR.
I under that but was curious if the blend may have not carried that name. I have tried to verify but have had no success. I was just wondering if you had run into this date at some time. Just a curiosity. Thanks

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

Flavoroma. Here’s a wonderful full-page ad by H&H that lays out an essential truth of pipe smoking: Taste requires the nose. That’s the brilliant part of this one.

But we finally figure out what “patent No. 1,770,992” of the “exclusive modern process” in making H&H really was. THE TIN! U.S. Patent No. 1770992: “Telescopically-collapsible box or can”. Easy to find out in 2021. Not so easy in 1936.

So H&H also lays out an essential truth of their earlier marketing: very creative word play (to put it mildly). Remember, Granger was at least honest enough to tell us we “can’t smoke the package”, to justify an inexpensive foil container. H&H took the exact opposite approach, going so far as to claim it part of their “process”. I’ll go with Granger on this one.

I wonder how many sharp-reading old codgers back in the day were surprised by this eventual reveal about the so-called “exclusive modern process”? The word “gimmick” crosses my mind. And a completely unnecessary one, considering H&H’s devoted following at that time.

Just a WAG, but I think H&H made a major marketing change before “Flavoroma” was released. The gimmicky “exclusive modern process” pitch is now gone, replaced by smart talk about what matters. The tobacco. And a single new word is forged to encapsulate the new message. Flavoroma. Now that’s great wordsmithing!

38-6.1.jpg

I think the tin is a clever gimmick with very good advertising, much like McDonald's Happy Meals. But I would have sold the can, not shrouded it in mystery. "We at Half and Half know how hard you work for your money. To say thank you, we've patented and Magic Tin that allows easier access to YOUR favorite smoke!" Or something like that.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I think explaining how it preserves "flavorama" would be more effective then explaining how it protects your fingers would have been a better marketing approach.

I think explaining how it preserves "flavorama" would be more effective then explaining how it protects your fingers would have been a better marketing approach.
Or maybe hit both points. They had more room for text in advertising in those days. People actually read, even if it was mostly the newspaper.

As a big fan of this stuff, I need to hit Ebay and see if I can locate a well-kept tin for nostalgia's sake.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

... unless it didn't.

For most pipe smokers (me included), they are 95% interested in the tobacco, and 5% interested in the container, as we will see in a few years with one of the major codger classics.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I believe the non-existence of a proper burley at the time puts this to rest.

Just to touch on this a wee bit more, there were several darker Burley varieties in 1852. The principal one was Red Burley, which is not all that popular today, and only fell out of favor due to the rapid rise of the White variety.

So I did not want to dismiss your question out of hand, as it was possible that some grandfathered recipe may have existed based on one of the earlier varieties.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

38-6.2.jpg

Top Bottom