What's new

The Codger Cabin

From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

View attachment 1363114
I immediately recognize only 3 of the names on the members' list: C. Aubrey Smith the actor, Norman Rockwell the artist, and Lucius Beebe the newspaper columnist. I suppose the newspaper/magazine reader of 1942 would be expected to recognize most or all of them.

I immediately recognize only 3 of the names on the members' list: C. Aubrey Smith the actor, Norman Rockwell the artist, and Lucius Beebe the newspaper columnist. I suppose the newspaper/magazine reader of 1942 would be expected to recognize most or all of them.
Olsen & Johnson had hit their stride by the early 40s, they were household names (as an act anyway, not individually).

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

Chew on Revelation? … not for me.

42-6-15.8.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

42-6-22.jpg

I wonder if this was an actual thing, or just something cooked up to give the impression that we hadn't yet perfected radar, which was a closely-guarded military secret at this time.
Radar was an imprecise instrument at best those days. The radar could ballpark you well enough, but wasn't enough to get you exactly on target. That technology coupled with radar proved to be pretty effective though.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Radar was an imprecise instrument at best those days. The radar could ballpark you well enough, but wasn't enough to get you exactly on target. That technology coupled with radar proved to be pretty effective though.
By the Iowa class battleships, radar-directed firing had come of age, and was remarkably superior to the previous optical systems, especially at the longest ranges. Unfortunately, the aircraft carrier had come of age, too, rendering it all obsolete.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

42-6-29.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

42-7-13.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

42-7-20.jpg

View attachment 1367585
I love the effects in this. B & W, yes, but the artist captures the night, the warm light emerging from the hosts' house; a portrait of a time when people dressed up to go out of the house (or were expected to, reflected by paintings such as this); a snapshot of the styles of 1942 (the host's 3-button jacket and short tie, and the cool crisp look of the lady guest's pinstripe dress). Grand stuff.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

42-7-27.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

42-8-3.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

42-8-17.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

42-8-17.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

42-8-17.4.jpg

Top Bottom