What's new

The Codger Cabin

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I looked into getting some when I needed new rubber a few years ago. The only tires I could find in my car's size (18") were the Vogues with the gold or red ring, which would have looked great with my ruby red Buick.

$300+ a tire. Uh, no.

Coker makes whitewall radials, but they wouldn't fit.

There are a handful of custom tire makers out there that make whitewalls and white letter tires, in both bias ply and radial construction. Goodyear still makes Polyglas wide treads for the period cars. But I think for the most part, they are best reserved for show cars, and those driven very gently on Sunday old car parades. And as you pointed out, they are really expensive.

For that kind of money, you can get very best tires from the premium makers today ... Michelin, Continental and Bridgestone, etc. A new Pilot Sport (or an LTX for a truck) is an amazing piece of engineering. And those tires are so much better performing, more durable, and safer, on a modern vehicle, than anything from the above speciality shops.

It's the most important part of the car. It's the only part that stops it and holds it on the road.

There are a handful of custom tire makers out there that make whitewalls and white letter tires, in both bias ply and radial construction. Goodyear still makes Polyglas wide treads for the period cars. But I think for the most part, they are best reserved for show cars, and those driven very gently on Sunday old car parades. And as you pointed out, they are really expensive.

For that kind of money, you can get very best tires from the premium makers today ... Michelin, Continental and Bridgestone, etc. A new Pilot Sport (or an LTX for a truck) is an amazing piece of engineering. And those tires are so much better performing, more durable, and safer, on a modern vehicle, than anything from the above speciality shops.

It's the most important part of the car. It's the only part that stops it and holds it on the road.
Yes, I went with Continentals back in late 2020. The whitewall look was not so important to me that I would stop caring about price or safety.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
1000001451.jpg

Yes, I went with Continentals back in late 2020. The whitewall look was not so important to me that I would stop caring about price or safety.
My tire of choice for all my vintage cars was the BFG Radial, used to get them at 50 to 60 a piece and they looked and performed great. Once BFG cancelled the line I’ve moved on to Cooper Cobras. They have the raised white lettering still and are relatively affordable. I still have a set of summit polyglass tires on some Weld rims that I was using to go drag racing with. Polyglass was terrible in the rain but smoke them up and soften them and there like having a street slick. I haven’t used them in years only because E-town no longer does 1/4 mile racing. It’s a shame, I live 15 min from there and it was a hell of a lot of fun to drive your race car on the street, run 3 passes and drive it back home. The best part was having someone who thought they were fast look at you and shake their head in a “no way in hell I’ll race” at a stop light while your car idling sounds like a machine gun firing. Unfortunately my kids will never have that kind of fun or experience it. I was on the tail end of that era back in the mid to late 90’s.

Larry

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
If I never set foot on a plane again (and that's the plan), I'll be a happy camper.

When I started flying, they served dinner on china with metal utensils. The seats were bigger than my recliner. And all the pilots were seasoned military aviators.

Mrs. C and I have to fly coast to coast the end of this month. Not looking forward to it.

Hopefully, it doesn't hit another plane on taxi, all the doors stay on in flight, the passengers are marginally sanitary and peaceful, and the pilots know how to operate an aircraft.

Just another marker in the general decline of everything.

Top Bottom