What's new

The Boxing Thread

Hank Lundy vs Mauricio Herrera Saturday night July 11 HBO Latino.
Lundy +120 ; Herrera -152. This could be the best fight this Saturday night.

Last edited by a moderator:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Cleveland (Big Cat) Williams. Fought from 1952 to 172. Knockout power with both hands. Three brutal fights with Liston.
Fought Ali 11/14/1966 in which many believe Ali looked the best he ever did or would.

I enjoyed the clip of Williams/Liston II immensely.

"Champs", the documentary is on Netflix.

Chronicles the lives of Bernard Hopkins, Evander Holyfield and Tyson. What a great documentary that was.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out. If I can think of one current real old school fighter it is without a doubt Bernard Hopkins . Young fighters coming up will have a tough time living up to the standard he set.
Who doyou think are the new old schoolers ?

I enjoyed the clip of Williams/Liston II immensely.

I'm glad you did. I am going to post some boxing history toward the first of each week and more on the current fights and fighters as each weekend approaches.

As always you , and anyone else are welcome to jump right in and post and interesting info or opinions anytime .

Anyone else looking forward to the Fury v Klitschko fight this October? Should be a good bout imho.

You are right . The Fury Klitschko fight may be a changing of the guard in the Heavyweight division . The heavyweights are going to be much more interesting with the rise of Fury, Anthony Joshua, Povetkin and Wilder.

I think Klitschko may be ripe for the picking.

I agree. I think Wilder needs another fight or two to work on his defense since he hasn't had to use it much, but Fury can make it happen on Oct. 24.
The next two years are going to be fun to watch in the heavyweight division with the new generation of rising stars.

This is the bit that is really igniting my desire to see the fight:

Peter Fury said the unbeaten challenger, rated No. 3 by THE RING at heavyweight, will back up his boasts when it matters most.
“One hundred percent,” he said. “This won’t be David Haye prancing around the ring; this will be Tyson Fury going for the knockout.”

Having watched the Haye v Klitschko bout, it was obvious David had to out point Wladimir, and was unable to do so. Fury I do believe has the potential to not only out point in this bout, but genuinely has a chance of landing the KO.

This is the bit that is really igniting my desire to see the fight:

Having watched the Haye v Klitschko bout, it was obvious David had to out point Wladimir, and was unable to do so. Fury I do believe has the potential to not only out point in this bout, but genuinely has a chance of landing the KO.

I have a feeling that it'll be Fury taking a nap.

I have a feeling that it'll be Fury taking a nap.

I think Fury has a legitimate shot if he can close distance and get around or under the jab (not easy).
Vlad has been knocked out three times ; ross Purity 1998, Corrie Sanders 2003, and Lamon Bruster 2004.
He has been winning for so long and without a stiff test, it will be interesting to see how he reacts if he does take one of Furys big bombs

I knew it was coming, but still sad to see Froch hang up the gloves. Love the lad's guts and commitment during his career, and have to say looking back he has been my favorite fighter of all time.

I think Fury has a legitimate shot if he can close distance and get around or under the jab (not easy).
Vlad has been knocked out three times ; ross Purity 1998, Corrie Sanders 2003, and Lamon Bruster 2004.
He has been winning for so long and without a stiff test, it will be interesting to see how he reacts if he does take one of Furys big bombs

A puncher always has a chance, but your last statement could be reversed to ask how Fury will react to Vlad's big bombs. He's never tasted that kind of power. Either way it should be an interesting fight.

A puncher always has a chance, but your last statement could be reversed to ask how Fury will react to Vlad's big bombs. He's never tasted that kind of power. Either way it should be an interesting fight.

I agree. This is what will make this fight interesting. Steve Cunningham put Fury on the canvas in 2013. Cunningham is fundamentally a cruiserweight. If he can do it Klitchko certainly can. Neither Klitchko or Fury are are great clinch fighters so defense footwork and counterpunching will probably tell the tale.

Jake "The Raging Bull" Lamotta married his 7th wife in January 2015.
He turned 94 July 10th 2015.
Talk about a fighter with a good chin and endurance !

Sergey Kovalev, Jean Pascal, B.J.Flores, and Joel Diaz all in action this weekend (July 25th).

Interesting (and bare knuckels) article on Larry Merchant by Paul Gallender. Gallender wrote a biography on Sonny Liston that gives a new and interesting perspective on "The Bear".

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
A look back at Sugar Ray Robinson's Career. Both Ali and Ray Lenord are convinced that he is the greatest of all time.

Check out Robinson's record before his 30th birthday. It's impressive.

I don't have to click the link to tell you that anyone who knows anything about the fight game will tell you what my dad told me- Walker Smith Jr. was the greatest to ever step into the ring. I think his was 40-0 before he lost to LaMotta, after which he went something like 80 more fights before his second loss to Randy Turpin.

Top Bottom