What's new

The Body Shop Maca Root shave cream

It's interesting that you have that reaction. The cream hasn't affected me yet, but when I use the balm my face heats up a little, but calms down after about 5-10 minutes. Apparently my face isn't as sensitive as yours is to whatever it is that's in it, but there's obviously something that is irritating in their products.

Well, I am throwing my "The Body Shop" Maca Root Shave Cream in the garbage. I love the smell, I like the lather (although I which it were a bit more creamy), but the fact that it makes my face feel as if it's melting the hell off is too much for me to handle any more. I recently made the switch to a safety razor and then on to a straight razor and once I switched to a straight razor I couldn't do it any more. The pain was unreal. With a safety razor I could shave two passes and quickly to scrape the Maca Root Cream off so the pain was less but it still hurt like hell. With my first shave with a straight razor I simply was unwilling to rush through a shave (and I never even nicked myself when I switched to a safety razor) but I cut myself twice with a straight razor trying to rush through another face melting shave. No way, no how. I am a former US Marine (0300) and I can take serious pain but like heck am I going to endure anymore pain like that for a shave again. Add onto that the fact that rushing a shave due to pain caused me to nick myself twice in one shave for the first time in over 10 years of shaving and you have one unhappy man. So, if your face doesn't mind the stuff it is great. If your face is like mine and feels like it's about to burst into flames just by putting the stuff on your face then skip it.

I'd never use anything that irritated my face. Even though you can, you shouldn't have to endure pain from your shaving cream.

But don't throw it away, PIF it or B/S/T it--or something. It doesn't irritate everyone.

I bought the small size of the shave cream just to round out an order several months back and I like the scent. It seems mild and soapy smelling to me, but my tastes are different I guess as I don't care for the Bay Rum and other scents that many people here seem to love. I found it to lather easily and slickness and cushion seemed decent. To me it's only drawback is that nothing really stands out about it.

I bought the small size of the shave cream just to round out an order several months back and I like the scent. It seems mild and soapy smelling to me, but my tastes are different I guess as I don't care for the Bay Rum and other scents that many people here seem to love. I found it to lather easily and slickness and cushion seemed decent. To me it's only drawback is that nothing really stands out about it.

Here is a potential idea, if you are a mixologist:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...uperlather-Combinations?p=5255229#post5255229

My family loves this stuff. Both of my daughters and their husbands us it. The only problem is, I'm their supplier.

romo

Just used the Maca Root cream for a lovely shave today.
The smell is fantastic and (like the Erasmic black bowl) part of the masculine fragrance spectrum your not likely to encounter anywhere else.
I loaded it onto the brush straight from the tub then bowl-lathered for a beautifully creamy, face caressing result.
It did dry my face a little but actually that really acted as a tonic for skin condition and, with the application of some ASB, gave a really great finish.

Well, I am throwing my "The Body Shop" Maca Root Shave Cream in the garbage. I love the smell, I like the lather (although I which it were a bit more creamy), but the fact that it makes my face feel as if it's melting the hell off is too much for me to handle any more. I recently made the switch to a safety razor and then on to a straight razor and once I switched to a straight razor I couldn't do it any more. The pain was unreal. With a safety razor I could shave two passes and quickly to scrape the Maca Root Cream off so the pain was less but it still hurt like hell. With my first shave with a straight razor I simply was unwilling to rush through a shave (and I never even nicked myself when I switched to a safety razor) but I cut myself twice with a straight razor trying to rush through another face melting shave. No way, no how. I am a former US Marine (0300) and I can take serious pain but like heck am I going to endure anymore pain like that for a shave again. Add onto that the fact that rushing a shave due to pain caused me to nick myself twice in one shave for the first time in over 10 years of shaving and you have one unhappy man. So, if your face doesn't mind the stuff it is great. If your face is like mine and feels like it's about to burst into flames just by putting the stuff on your face then skip it.

Don't throw it in the trash...The body shop will take it back and give you store credit.

Just picked up a tub with some after shave cream at the Body Shop at the mall. Had to give it a quick lather and one pass. I put very very little on the brush -not even a squigle or snerdle or whatever it is - then bowl lathered - incredible - one pass with my jagger and the maca root after shave-shave was fantastic. Cant wait until the morning to get what i think is gonna be a great bbs shave. Dont know what it really smell like - very light a little citrus -cant figure out the rest - but i like it - no pain here just cool and refreshing

Well, second time I've used it and just like the first time, it's giving me a burning sensation and little red, itchy bumps. Not big on the honey-ish, Erasmic-esque scent either. Not using this stuff again.

Thank you for describing the scent so well- I've been searching for the right words since I first smelled it.
But I love it :001_smile
Hey, and all the power to ya. I want the cream to work for me, it just doesn't agree with my skin. Guess it can't be helped. I find Erasmic more "soapy", but as soon as I smelled the Maca Root I said, "It's a sweet Erasmic".

Sorry to hear you're having bad experiences with it. Someone posted that they would give you credit for it if you return it.

Hey, and all the power to ya. I want the cream to work for me, it just doesn't agree with my skin. Guess it can't be helped. I find Erasmic more "soapy", but as soon as I smelled the Maca Root I said, "It's a sweet Erasmic".

Just wanted to mention that I really like your avatar lol

I am a very big fan of the MR! I love the performance and the smell which I ant put my finger on! Something about dandelion???

I've used it to rescue a couple of bad soap lathers, and it's performed brilliantly. I like the smell just fine. For me it will only be a utility player, as part of a superlather or as a travel tube, but in that role I think of it fondly. at $5 during the body shop special a little while ago, it was a steal.

Made by the same company that makes Real Shaving Company Cream and cream for some of the big English shaving companies. It was one of the first creams I purchased when I got into this hobby and I still think it's great!

Top Bottom