What's new

The body shop Maca root & aloe

Hello people of B&B!

Today I want to talk about a fan favorite, The body shop Maca root & Aloe.
It seems to really be loved around here, but i actually hate it.

Let me start first by showing the gear for todays shave.
20230422_151722.jpg

Razor: King C. Gillette
Cream: The body shop
Brush: Omega 48
Blade: Feather (2)

I have used each of this items more than a dozen times, so the shave was fairly familiar and comfortable. Every time, without a mistake, this cream keeps getting on my nerves. I seem to be unable to get lather that satisfies me, and I do in fact lack in the lathering department more than in other areas of shaving, but i have other creams that i use on a regular basis that do in fact lather the way i like.

I bought this cream before I joined the forum, and it was mostly a blind purchase. The only thing that I had heard about this cream was a review on YouTube from 7 years ago. The guy who made the video really liked the cream, so based on that, I decided to give it a try. It took me some thought since it was more expensive than any other cream I had bought at the time (and still is).

Every time I see people talk about this cream, I wonder if they are even talking about the same stuff I have. Easy to lather!? Where? It always comes out airy and does the snow effect. I don't know if the "snow effect" is actually a term used here, but if the lather dose releases particles in the air that look like snow, i know that something has gone wrong. I do give it to people that say it's slick, it actually is quite slick and has a great residual slickness after you pass the razor. Slickness is not everything, if I want just slickness, I can go to the store and buy a shaving gel. The reason i like creams or shaving soaps is because they give really good protection to your skin when you shave. They have a fantastic cushion like effect against the razor, but for that to happen, the cream needs to hold water, and this cream clearly can't hold much.

I have tried everything from adding more water to adding more cream, once i even had so much cream that i needed to get half of it out of my brush because the cream didn't lather up.

Look, I am new to this world, I just started at the beginning of this year. I have a lot to learn still, but this is the only cream as of now that I can't figure out. I am open to advice since I intend to use the cream until it is finished (there is no way in hell I buy another one). In the end, it is not an unusable cream, and if it were priced as much as Palmolive, I wouldn't even be mad, but for 4 more euros I could have bought an artisanal shaving soap.

Also, I forgot to add that it dries quickly, faster than a Proraso does. To be honest, I would just consider it inferior to Proraso in every aspect. Since everyone loves this stuff and I am the only one to hate it, maybe I am the problem. I don't know YMMV.

lasta

Blade Biter
I agree with you about the airy aspect, Body Shop is not on the top of the list for thick and shiny shiny yogurt-like lather.

I chased that kind of lather during my early forays in shaving. Now, I realized that thick and shiny has nothing to do slickness.

I don't like the smell, but Body Shop is probably one of the slickest creams out there.

As you said, many people find it to be a very good cream (me included). Maybe you got a dud? maybe your water is not good for the cream...doesn't really matter. If you can't get it to work for you, why waste your time. Its the same with MWF and many other people. There's too much out there at too good a price to force ourselves to use what we don't enjoy.

lasta

Blade Biter
As you said, many people find it to be a very good cream (me included). Maybe you got a dud? maybe your water is not good for the cream...doesn't really matter. If you can't get it to work for you, why waste your time. Its the same with MWF and many other people. There's too much out there at too good a price to force ourselves to use what we don't enjoy.
You are absolutely right! Most lubricants work, use what you like.

Although thinking about the OP's first post, airiness is also associated with not using enough (99% of all lather problems). Double your usual scoop and try again.

It does dry up quick, just use more water. Shaving smoothly........it's ALL about the glide in the soap and a sharp blade.....

There are so many soaps ....

Hello people of B&B!

Today I want to talk about a fan favorite, The body shop Maca root & Aloe.
It seems to really be loved around here, but i actually hate it.

Let me start first by showing the gear for todays shave.
View attachment 1642456
Razor: King C. Gillette
Cream: The body shop
Brush: Omega 48
Blade: Feather (2)

I have used each of this items more than a dozen times, so the shave was fairly familiar and comfortable. Every time, without a mistake, this cream keeps getting on my nerves. I seem to be unable to get lather that satisfies me, and I do in fact lack in the lathering department more than in other areas of shaving, but i have other creams that i use on a regular basis that do in fact lather the way i like.

I bought this cream before I joined the forum, and it was mostly a blind purchase. The only thing that I had heard about this cream was a review on YouTube from 7 years ago. The guy who made the video really liked the cream, so based on that, I decided to give it a try. It took me some thought since it was more expensive than any other cream I had bought at the time (and still is).

Every time I see people talk about this cream, I wonder if they are even talking about the same stuff I have. Easy to lather!? Where? It always comes out airy and does the snow effect. I don't know if the "snow effect" is actually a term used here, but if the lather dose releases particles in the air that look like snow, i know that something has gone wrong. I do give it to people that say it's slick, it actually is quite slick and has a great residual slickness after you pass the razor. Slickness is not everything, if I want just slickness, I can go to the store and buy a shaving gel. The reason i like creams or shaving soaps is because they give really good protection to your skin when you shave. They have a fantastic cushion like effect against the razor, but for that to happen, the cream needs to hold water, and this cream clearly can't hold much.

I have tried everything from adding more water to adding more cream, once i even had so much cream that i needed to get half of it out of my brush because the cream didn't lather up.

Look, I am new to this world, I just started at the beginning of this year. I have a lot to learn still, but this is the only cream as of now that I can't figure out. I am open to advice since I intend to use the cream until it is finished (there is no way in hell I buy another one). In the end, it is not an unusable cream, and if it were priced as much as Palmolive, I wouldn't even be mad, but for 4 more euros I could have bought an artisanal shaving soap.
Stop killing yourself chasing a dream. Have some fun buy a brushless cream, live life, get a new puppy or something, go fishing, take a 50 mile bike ride. Something besides worrying about lather. My set up is below. Freedom!

Attachments

• IMG_4511.png
    IMG_4511.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 34
Stop killing yourself chasing a dream. Have some fun buy a brushless cream, live life, get a new puppy or something, go fishing, take a 50 mile bike ride. Something besides worrying about lather. My set up is below. Freedom!
Well i like to lather and using a good brush on my face is a relaxing and feels like my skin is getting a massage, but i want to try some brushless creams in the future. I am trusting you and will put your suggestion in the wishlist.

@Marlin, I seem to remember it being reformulated a few years ago, with some comments saying the new formulation wasn't as good as the old.

Your picture shows the newer label/formula. @VerbaVolant 's picture in post #5 shows the old stuff. If the rave reviews are for the older cream, that would help explain the different opinions.
I don't know what it is, a lot o people seems to thinks is a dub and i do believe to be the case considering the positive press this cream gets in the community, but i am not gonna try a second one even if its better than then one i have now. To much soaps and creams from other brand to try which probably are much better.

I just used some recently and had no problems with the lather. Here are my comments:

“Soap: The Body Shop, Maca Root and Aloe
Blade: GSB (2)
Aftershave: SW Grave Fruit
Brush: Semogue Mixtura, Spanish Shaver LE 2021
Razor: Haircut and Shave, NO 75

Yes, that is how the Spanish Shaver folks spell “Mistura”. Take it up with them. I don’t speak Spanish.

Back to shaving. As hinted at above, the soap lathered up really well…as good as the TOBS did yesterday. Not surprising, as the soap is even softer than the TOBS.

I know this is primarily about the soaps, but I have give a big thumbs up to the H&S razor. It went right to the top of my list. I was thrilled with the two-pass shave (and could have gotten by with one pass).

Picture or it didn’t happen.”

Attachments​

• IMG_1086.jpeg
    IMG_1086.jpeg
    724.1 KB · Views: 2

I have both the old and new formulas. While I would say that they older one is a bit better, they both are super slick (and perhaps a bit low on billowy later and density.)

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I have a tub dating back several years (older label) that I’ve left outside and most recently inadvertently left on its side. When I opened the tub the contents had congealed to one side and it looked off. So I mixed it up with my fingers and then wiped my fingers on my face and face lathered it up. It still worked great.

Top Bottom