What's new

The best German razors

Which razors(from German) do you prefer, for the comfort of shaving ? Which ones are the best? Probably these are models before WW1?

Which razors(from German) do you prefer, for the comfort of shaving ? Which ones are the best? Probably these are models before WW1?

One of my favorite razors which has always been in the top
three of my regular rotation, and which has remained in my use
as long as any, and longer than most of my razors,
is a Boker Red Injun 102.

Here is the problem with what I just told you:
I have another Boker Red Injun 102 which I also like a lot,
but not nearly as much, and it is no longer in rotation.

I am unaware of there being a time in history,
after which the quality of German razors degraded.
I would expect the quality to have improved at least
until WWII.

I have an Ern Crown And Sword in my rotation,
which I like just fine. I've had at least a couple of other Ern's
cycle in and out of my regular rotation.

Some people have preferences for razors other
than German razors, but I don't think that anyone
dislikes any brand of German razor.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have several and like German razors in general. After WWII their patents on razor making were void and available to everyone. I find Soligen steel excellent not too hard and not too soft. They hold a good edge but aren’t devilish to hone. That being said, I expect there are some variations in quality.

ERN.
Black Diamond Cutlery co
Beau Brummel No. 35
CeKa Works KAM

I love these razors. These are the 5 razors, I have two black diamond models, that give me a shave very similar to my top Japanese blades.

After the first shave the KAM destroys every razor I have used

Tiger ,Puma,F.W.Engels and Wester Bros are my top four .But this is just splitting hairs .Tiger and Puma are truly special in my book .But their are so many good Solingen makers .I think 1920 to late 1930 was the Apex of German Straights manufacture .

Legion

Staff member
I've had a number of Gotta, and they have all been excellent, and they dont seem to command the price of Puma, Dubl Duck or ERN, which are also great, but no better than Gotta, IMO.

I also like Puma, Ern and can’t forget Kobar which are probably my favorite German razors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom