What's new

The Best Diners & Dives in Every State. :

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
MSN Food & Drink - 11 Jan 15

"For this list, we scoured Yelp reviews, local newspapers, and culinary awards to find the most popular and beloved diner in every state. We defined diner as a restaurant whose primary purpose is serving breakfast, and awarded bonus points to dives open 24-7".

Read More:http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/the-best-diners-in-every-state/ss-BBhmGvi#image=1

But with all things being equal (and no doubt suggestive),...what's the Best Diner in your state (or is yours listed?)
proxy.php

Mine is.
proxy.php

In my state of birth...it's the Fleetwood Diner with locations in Lansing, MI (20mins from East Lansing...where I was born & the food is awesome), and Ann Arbor, MI is beloved by college students and locals alike for its Hippie Hash: hash browns tossed with grilled tomato, green pepper, onion, mushroom, and broccoli topped with feta cheese. :thumbsup:

The Saganaki (imported Greek Kasseri cheese that is brought to your table on a hot plate and lit on fire [accompanied with shouts of acclamation..."OPA!"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saganaki#cite_note-parthenon-2. The chesse is put out with lemon juice and served with pita bread....'it's to die for'!
proxy.php

proxy.php
OPA!

proxy.php

Read More:http://thefleetwooddiner.com/

proxy.php
"The diner is everybody's kitchen". Richard Gutman

Last edited:
The Tops Diner in NJ which was voted the top one over here really is an outstanding diner. The re-did the place a few years back and jacked up the prices, but it is well worth it.

I'm a big fan of dining in at least one greasy spoon establishment in every city I visit. Great post!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Here in Austin there was a favorite of South Austinites. It is called Kirby Lane Cafe. The perfect dive that had all the right things going for it. They shut down their dive location and moved to a modern building and new location. The food now is just average. I Won't go back and don't understand people standing in line to eat there.

They got SC right in this one. The Beacon, in all its piled high french fry, onion ring cheeseburger aplenty greasiness...I'll leave their sweet tea though. Just too sweet for my taste.

Everyone is bound to have their favourite diner though. Mine would be Macs Drive In located in Pendleton SC. A short hop from Clemson's main campus. Tiny place. No fuss greasy spoon. Thick malted shakes mixed right in front of you.

Last edited:
here in maine,its moody's diner...they have improved over the years,now they give you a pat of soft butter for your roll...years ago it was so damn hard, you could scoop that butter up and drive it thru the roll, the plate, and table and not even put a dent in that butter..

I can vouch for the Magnolia Cafe in TX. I love the classic diner food, and my wife goes nuts for the avocado enchiladas.

While the Camellia Grill is certainly New Orleans' most famous diner, and is VERY good. I wonder if it's really possible to narrow down each state's best diner to ONE place. Diners are so ubiquitous across the nation, and in my opinion, MOST of them are terrific places to eat and experience the local culture. For me, Dot's diner (any location in Harahan, Kenner, or Jefferson) is every bit as good or better than Camellia Grill. Of course, none of them have the charm of St. Charles Ave... but also none of them have the lines out the door forcing you to have brunch instead of breakfast.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
While the Camellia Grill is certainly New Orleans' most famous diner, and is VERY good. I wonder if it's really possible to narrow down each state's best diner to ONE place. Diners are so ubiquitous across the nation, and in my opinion, MOST of them are terrific places to eat and experience the local culture. For me, Dot's diner (any location in Harahan, Kenner, or Jefferson) is every bit as good or better than Camellia Grill. Of course, none of them have the charm of St. Charles Ave... but also none of them have the lines out the door forcing you to have brunch instead of breakfast.
Jessy:
proxy.php
...you're right about the Camellia Grill (great food, but hate the lines...the reason the Mrs. and I go to Dot's), and you're right about Dot's Diner too (also great food [I love their Cuban Reuben sandwiches], but minus the charm [we like the Jefferson Street location when we're in NOLA]), but w/ Diners...it can be 'hit or miss'. :001_rolle

Dot' Diner Menu: http://www.dotsdiner.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Dots-Diner-All-Stores.pdf

$Dots Diner.jpg "I m not your Mama..., but you're always welcome home at Dot's Diner". Dot

Last edited:
In Tucson, AZ:

Dives: Pats Chili Dogs, Bk's Sonoran Dogs

Diners: Gus Balons, Jerry Bobs, Bobos Café, KG Diner, Claires Cafe

The Texas Inn, Lynchburg, Virginia a/k/a "The T Room". Get a Cheesy Western, a Dog Walkin' and a Bowl With. Old School.

Great post. Favorite diners or dives is so subjective. I really like that show when they show unique food combinations or dishes. The places with big burgers, homemade onion rings, etc. have a lot of character, but the really neat and creative meals are what interest me most.

Jessy:
proxy.php
...you're right about the Camellia Grill (great food, but hate the lines...the reason the Mrs. and I go to Dot's), and you're right about Dot's Diner too (also great food [I love their Cuban Reuben sandwiches], but minus the charm [we like the Jefferson Street location when we're in NOLA]), but w/ Diners...it can be 'hit or miss'. :001_rolle

Dot' Diner Menu: http://www.dotsdiner.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Dots-Diner-All-Stores.pdf

View attachment 539688 "The diner is everybody's kitchen". Richard Gutman

It's the Creole Queen for me... Every time!

The Red Arrow diner in Manchester, NH is a great diner in the old sense. It's been around since the 1930s, IIRC. There once were several scattered around the state but only Manchester survived. I don't count the Milford location as a real Red Arrow though -- it only opened a few years ago. Anyway -- It gets props for being a true old classic diner in the truest sense of the word -- with cheap, good food and waitresses that give you attitude and call you, "Hon".
The presidential campaigns go there every election year, and Guy Fieri profiled it on his show so it's "famous" now.

That said -- I've stopped even trying to go there because it's jammed all the time (unless you go at some strange time). Even late at night and wee hours it's busy -- well known as a last stop after clubbing or a pub crawl. There are 4 booths and maybe 12 counter stools. And the line not only extends out the door, but actually starts inside behind the counter customers, so if you like people staring over your should watching you eat.....

While it's a great place to bring tourists who have heard of it, there are better "dives" that you don't have to wait an hour to get into.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
It's the Creole Queen for me... Every time!
Jessy:
My Mrs, her family and bloodline is born & bred Creole...'Yeah Baby'! :thumbsup:

proxy.php
[FONT=&amp] "Tell me [what] you love, and I'll tell you who you are". Creole proverb

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]PS Although I'm a born Northern (Michigander), boy from East Lansing...I too am Creole (by marriage, adopted Arcadian French language [I'm still learning], heritage, cuisine & culture ), but w/o the shrimp. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
proxy.php
[/FONT]

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I miss Hot Sauce Williams in Cleveland. Not technically a diner, but it is a dive. There is nothing like a Polish Boy.

I will see your fleetwood and raise you Flytrap diner in ferndale michigan (actually featured on diners drive ins and dives, so very appropriate). Having eaten at fleetwood many times (its the only 24hr food in ann arbor) fly trap is by far my favorite diner in the state.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I will see your fleetwood and raise you Flytrap diner in ferndale michigan (actually featured on diners drive ins and dives, so very appropriate). Having eaten at fleetwood many times (its the only 24hr food in ann arbor) fly trap is by far my favorite diner in the state.
Brian:
I fold...the Fyltrap
proxy.php
has Booze...the Fleetwood doesn't.
proxy.php

View Menu: http://www.theflytrapferndale.com/The_Fly_Trap/daily_buzz.php

$Fly Trap Diner.jpg...a finer diner".

Top Bottom