What's new

The Australia Tax...

Or at least the Australia situation...

Spotted in my local supermarket:
proxy.php

This was the only option if you wanted to buy DE blades from this supermarket...

Guess I should be grateful for our limited online retailers here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I noticed a step increase here in the supermarkets for the same blade as well.
If I remember I'll check the price tomorrow. It may have been around that price as well.
There is a bit of noise re prices due to lack of competition. It's a duopoly here.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Is this a price error?
It is a fact. I work for this supermarket chain and this is the only DE product that we sell. I get asked for brushes, handles and soaps quite often. We have plenty of carts, cart handles, canned foams and gels and even shave oil but nothing DE apart from 10 blades for $14.00.

It is a fact. I work for this supermarket chain and this is the only DE product that we sell. I get asked for brushes, handles and soaps quite often. We have plenty of carts, cart handles, canned foams and gels and even shave oil but nothing DE apart from 10 blades for $14.00.
For this price I can get 140 Gillette platinum blades here. Lol.

Maybe I should start exporting blades overseas.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It is quite expensive, lucky for us we have online shopping. Before the internet became huge, these DE blades were one of the items in our store that dis-appeared the most.

It is pretty much the same price in Canada ($15.50 for ten at the pharmacy or $6 for five at Walmart).

YIKES!!

*ponders this*

At retail in the US, it's common to find non-Gillette blades in 5- or 10-packs for 60 cents per blade at the discount stores, a bit more at drugstores. As I write this, USD is worth $1.41AUD, so multiply by that to get 85 Oz cents per blade, or $8.50 for a 10-pack plus tax, title, license, shipping, handling, destination charge, etc.

I assume 10% GST applies to the pictured blades, so if you knock that off, you're at $12.72.

Hmm. Well, that's closer but still noncompetitive. Oof.

Worse is that we can get German-made Wilkies for a buck a tuck. At least I can, anyway - a large local grocery chain sells them for that price.

Mail order is your friend, I guess.

Nothing to do with tax but more to due with an obscene attempt at profiteering; trying to milk the minority DE users. Of course when you switch to cartridges you get fleeced anyway!

Hope the extra goes to our farmers. Staff wearing checked shirts in support of them didn't really alleviate the drought. Good stuff Woolies. As usual in woolies traditional. .we get a small product covered in a ton of packaging.

the big chain drug stores in New York seem to mark up the blades alot too. They sell store brand (which i've read are personnas) in packs of 10 - 15 blades for 7 - 10 dollars.

But in a small privately owned pharmacy or grocery store i can get a 5 pack of wilkinsons for 1.39

I think the expensiveness has to have something to do with the very own brand (wilkinson). The shave shop (present in most mid-large towns I reckon) still have them at 13 (~9 for a 5 pack) while feather is at 5 dollars.
In supermakets like woollies and Coles you may get some creams like Faulding shave or palmolive, but are not worth (at least for me). At least we have a good list of supplies on Australian online shaving stores.

Wow thats £7.70 here in the UK or 7 packs of the german wilko blades from a wilkinson bargin store. And thats with our 20%tax added.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
The next best thing to a Pasteur's in Australia is The Stray Whisker in the Blue Mountains. If anyone knows any better shops in Australia please let us know.

Top Bottom