What's new

the art of shaving sandalwood

I don't see many mentions of the soap. I work for the company that makes the software they use on there registers (I have no other affiliation and paid full retail) and stopped by a store when on vacation. I did not get a shave, but may try one of the closer stores and bring in my own straight as I don't see paying for a shavette shave. I got a puck of the Sandalwood soap and love it. It preforms better than anything I have used. I did find the price to be ridiculous, and now that P&G owns them I wonder how long it will be before they destroy the formulation. (some of the newest products are now being made in the US instead of Italy) I seem to remember that someone makes it for them, but can't find that post by searching. Anyone know? I would be interested in getting a similar product at a better price, as well as some alternative scents.

I also was surprised to see that they were selling Gillette Platinum blades. I did not really think P&G wanted them available here in the US. Perhaps they may be having a bit of a reconsideration of that policy. They do not currently sell them on line though.

I have to say the lady at the Kenwood store was very helpful and seemed very knowledgeable. She brought out several Straights for me to look at even though I said I could not buy one as I only had carry on luggage. She was also very easy on the eyes.:biggrin1:

AOS isn't talked about much because it's kind of an old staple. I don't think it's been reformulated lately, so you don't have the "Why is my favorite soap crap now" posts, and it wasn't just introduced, so you don't have the "OMG Best soap ever, it gave my dog the power to speak and died for my sins!" posts.

Search for it in the soaps section and it's on a lot of people's top X lists.

It's made by Valobra (as well as C&S) and I believe is ~the same formula as their stick and C&S pucks. Valobra sticks should be a bit cheaper than the AOS refills, but C&S is actually a fair bit more expensive.

I had a sample of it, (as well as a sample C&S and a stick of valo) and all performed similarly. Good soap. Nice lather, but not the greatest. Not a soap I keep in my cabinet, but a lot of people like it.

I'm fond of sandalwood scents and the scent was very nice in the AOS.

I like it, but not enough to pay twice as much as a puck of DR Harris! The scent is probably one of the best sandalwoods on the market though.

AOS Sandalwood soap, cream and balm used to be my #1 goto...now it's been bumped down by Mike's Natural Bay Rum. It will still always be used in my den.

+AOS Lemon and Ocean Kelp..Great scents and performance. Haven't tried the Sandalwood yet but love the smell. It will be my next AOS purchase.

It's a great soap. A good friend of mine gave me a puck. The lather is wonderful and it smells great. It's now less than half its original size, though.:glare:

I really love this soap. Then again I haven't tried another sandalwood soap.

It really has a fantastic scent and it lathers very well. It's certainly a thirsty soap. It was, at one point, my go-to soap, but has since been dethroned by DRH Windsor.

A great product that I'd recommend to anyone. I think I paid $27 for just the puck in store, so a bit pricey.

AOS isn't talked about much because it's kind of an old staple. I don't think it's been reformulated lately, so you don't have the "Why is my favorite soap crap now" posts, and it wasn't just introduced, so you don't have the "OMG Best soap ever, it gave my dog the power to speak and died for my sins!" posts.

Search for it in the soaps section and it's on a lot of people's top X lists.

It's made by Valobra (as well as C&S) and I believe is ~the same formula as their stick and C&S pucks. Valobra sticks should be a bit cheaper than the AOS refills, but C&S is actually a fair bit more expensive.

I had a sample of it, (as well as a sample C&S and a stick of valo) and all performed similarly. Good soap. Nice lather, but not the greatest. Not a soap I keep in my cabinet, but a lot of people like it.

I'm fond of sandalwood scents and the scent was very nice in the AOS.

I am afraid "yet" as to the change in formula. P&G is known for messing with formulas to improve profitability. Just look at what they did to other brands like Old Spice. It will come, just depends on how long the old management stays around. They are normally given pretty good incentives to leave.

I like it, but not enough to pay twice as much as a puck of DR Harris! The scent is probably one of the best sandalwoods on the market though.

I agree as I have not bought a DR Harris because I thought it was too expensive. I am sure if AOS was not a customer I would not have bought it. It does smell great. I had it out the whole week at my parents house and every time I walked up the stairs I could smell it! I really like the lavender as well. I find the performance to be excellent as well. Better than Tabac, and possibly even Cella. I need more Cella and I realize I could have gotten almost a KG of it for the price of one puck of AOS, but I am not thrilled with Almond scent.

Last edited:
I have the cream. Only open it up to take a whiff of the great scent. The soap is crazy expensive. I mean in the bowl almost the price of Mdc.

Buy it, leave it out for a year, add EO of your choice, Use it as playdoh for a few minutes. Custom scented Cella!

good idea, and if I had the place and patience. I expected to really hate the smell of Cella, but I did not, but it is not love either just put up with it for the performance. I guess it is kind of like Arko for some. I will be getting more, as I only got a sample from Gary. If I get a kilo I will experiment.

I use the 5 oz AOS unscented cream but picked up a tube of the sandalwood for my vacation and just love the smell...(my wife likes it too~!)

good idea, and if I had the place and patience. I expected to really hate the smell of Cella, but I did not, but it is not love either just put up with it for the performance. I guess it is kind of like Arko for some. I will be getting more, as I only got a sample from Gary. If I get a kilo I will experiment.

Hey Paul - if you enjoy the performance of Cella but don't love the scent, I suggest you check out the RazoRock Artisan soaps. Cella performance with a wide array of well done scents.

1000g of anything that starts as "mediocre" to you will most certainly end in an expensive PIF.

Top Bottom