What's new

The anti-sabbatical AKA the great soap binge of 2014

Glad to see there are other binge buyers as well. I couldn't help myself, and am expecting the following delivery this Monday:

Tabac refill;
TOBS Eton College;
Castle Forbes Lime;
and some Peppercorns, Bay Rum and Limes Ogallala Aftershave.

It doesn't sound like a lot, but I still have 3/4 puck of Prep, 3/4 of Ogallala Bay Rum, Peppercorns and Lime, 1/2 tube of Proraso Green, 1/2 tube of Proraso Red; 3/4 of tub of Trumpers Sandalwood; 1/2 tub of TOBS Avocado; and 1/2 bottle of Ogallala Bay Rum and Sandalwood AS.

Needless to say, I probably shouldn't be purchasing any new products until this time next year. But I know when I'm on the west coast (Victoria and Vancouver) later on next month, I'll stroll into a shave shop and purchase something else that I don't really need.:blushing:

Earlier this week, I bought so much soap from the Calani website that Catherin from Calani warned me about the shelf life of the soap only being approximately 1 year. I have so much soap already it's not funny..... but I found it a new experience to have the vendor almost discourage you from buying product. She still sold it to me..... but I admire her for looking out for the customer's best interest.

Got a bunch of Panna Crema yesterday too. Still binging on soap. I started in 2012 and it's still going on!

Ben

only 1 year shelf life? I'm screwed if even remotely true :D

Everyone here is in the same situation! :lol:

Throw what you're not using in the freezer. Makes that shelf life issue go away. That's what they say to do with the all-natural soaps anyhow...

Just makes it tough when you want to use a different soap every day...

But really, has anyone here ever seen a soap go bad? Does it start to smell like feet or something?

And has anyone tried Green Mountain Soap Co. recently? I know a couple years ago they were pretty much universally disliked. But they look like they reformulated at some point, and are selling massive pucks for a really good price assuming they're quality.

If no one's tried it, I'll fill you in when I get my hands on some...

LPL is awesome. Just shaved with it. It performs identical to Al's. If you were to plug my nose I would date say I couldn't tell the difference between the two.

You're right, I've had some soaps for a couple of years with no issue. But I have had creams dry out on me before.

Yeah, I had some Taconic Shave stay in the drawer for a few months and dry out. It reduced to less than half its original volume and kinda became a croap. But it still worked and smelled great. And that little 1\4 jar of dried out cream lasted a loooong time :lol: For about two weeks I was expecting I wouldn't be able to coax out enough for a shave, but it just kept going... Until it stopped, that is.

View attachment 427035

I guess I belong in this topic!... Only been wet shaving for 3 months now... Here's what I've acquired so far: TOBS (sandalwood & lavender), EJ sandalwood, stirling (clubman, SDM, rose, sandalwood, coniferous) C&E, sandalwood, proraso red, green & blue (blue just delivered, not pictured) AOS sandalwood & ocean kelp, tabac, VDH, & lightfoot pine...
I like that shorty cup/mug--perfect for storing a puck of soap.

Hello!

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395945051.484796.jpg

I vacuum sealed a couple of pucks that I knew I wouldn't get to for a bit, that should work, right?? :001_smile

Methinks you're going to be just fine :thumbup:

I have one sample of Mike's left untouched in my drawer. I've had it about a year already. I think I'm gonna let it be, sniff it every once in a while, document it's metamorphosis into spoilage. Actually, I don't think that's going to happen at all. I'm betting in 5 years it'll be just as it is today. Maybe become a touch smaller because of drying...

Who knows though? Maybe it'll start smelling like death and crumble into powder, forever tainting my shave den. Time will tell...

Went on a bit of buying spree this week
LASS Spring St
Caties Bubbles La Piemonte de la Vie
Al's Shaving Products , Fougere About It and Goodfellas
Le Pere Lucien intense scent
and last but not least by any means, Czech and Speake 88 in the anodized aluminum bowl ( never thought I'd spend that much for a bowl but it is beautiful )

A binge for me, 9 samples from Mama Bear. Once I get through these I will have tried all she has that I wanted to try and can start accumulating tubs. Sadly some of the previous ones I wanted she no longer makes so for all of you that are trying to be restrained and thinking about sabbaticals my only advice is... buy more soap if you find something you like.

and last but not least by any means, Czech and Speake 88 in the anodized aluminum bowl ( never thought I'd spend that much for a bowl but it is beautiful )

You have no idea how many times I've put it in my cart and almost pulled the trigger. ;)

You have no idea how many times I've put it in my cart and almost pulled the trigger. ;)

The bowl is unlike any other I have seen. Much heavier than I thought it would be and beautifully made. I thought about it for some time too but in the end I figured I might as well buy it rather than keep on thinking about it. I have not used the soap yet but it's got a great scent.

The bowl is unlike any other I have seen. Much heavier than I thought it would be and beautifully made. I thought about it for some time too but in the end I figured I might as well buy it rather than keep on thinking about it. I have not used the soap yet but it's got a great scent.

I still need to decide which scent I want. That's what's holding me back. Which I realize is a stupid reason. :)

Top Bottom