What's new

The agony...What would you do?

If faced with my problem, would you

• Use em'

• Put em' up for a week.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have been here for a month and a bit. Learned and applied a lot of good bits of wisdom from many posts here, thanks to all my irritation is down to 25% of what it was for the past 17 years or so. But to technique only, as I live in the Philippines and am at the whimsy of retailers who have no real financial gain in marketing shaving products. (a bad combination of little money and little facial hair).

So, I have selectively ordered some terrific soaps as recommended here, and an eshave sampler and 6 pack sampler from scotto, to boot.

Here is my problem, today, I get the big box of everything, and I am 2 days into a COMPLETE BLOCKING SINUS INFECTION. Complete occlusion. No smell, no taste, nothin'. I just started my usual run with antibiotics, but I am left looking and imagining that I can smell something out of the 12 (YES, 12!!). I am short of jamming a finger full of vicks up there just to break it loose and have a go at the mama bears, taylors, AOS, Nancy Boy, etc (never mind the completely useless 6 pack of scents just staring up at me).... You get the point.

First, I am not looking for sympathy here (a *sniff* here would be appropriate, if I could), I am wondering if I should just place all the items back in the box and reboot in a week, when the sniffer is back online? Or could I begin using the products exclusive of the gift of my first cranial nerve, and thereby judge these products based upon the specific shavability of each, scent out of the picture entirely?

oh, I'm very sorry for you, the smell of the creams while shaving is half the fun. However, I see no point in not using them as the other side of the fun is how the products perform. :aureola:
So grab your badger-brush, dip it into the stuff and whip up lots of lathery goodnes - you'll forget your condition as soon as you feel the lather on your face :thumbup:

Happy shaving and get well soon,
Klaus

If it were me, I'd hold off on the smaller samplers, but for full sized products, I say dig right in!

-Nick

i agree with nick. go ahead and start off with every BUT the samplers. it'll last for a while anyways. i know the feeling though. being in asia myself, it's next to impossible to get all the goodies...

I'd use anything you had enough of to still have some left when you get your sense of smell back. Probably I would hold off on the small stuff, though, so you can experience it. Pretty much like the other guys here are saying.
John P.

OK, I took the advice above, (it was good, and I wasn't really thinking clearly due to sinus infection and a serious backlog of desire to get going on some new shaving gear) and cracked open one of the giant MB soaps (I was expecting two thirds that size). My lather technique is poor ATM, and as I was in a bit of a rush, I just took the bar and rubbed it on my face, then brushed it in. WOW. Moist, thick, creamy.... This is an experience I have never had with a shaving product. As luxurious as the product feels like, you can cut whiskers like anything with it. I was surprised at the performance increase of my razor when using this product, as opposed to foam in a can. The nivea foam goes into my storage box, to stay until around the same time that hell freezes over..

I can't wait to smell this stuff!!! Thanks guys. Day three on the antibiotics should bring back the sense of smell. I am going to schedule an ENT appointment and get this taken care of, It's a once every quarter problem that I have been putting off for a couple of years. I should know better, but.....:blushing:

Wok;

Looks like you have already started using some stuff. I was going to suggest that you do use some products anyway. Actually, you might be able to make an unbiased opinion how effective some products might be and not be swayed by the scent alone. If something really works well, you might be doubly pleased if you like the scent in addition.

Good Luck,

BobS

Wok;

Looks like you have already started using some stuff. I was going to suggest that you do use some products anyway. Actually, you might be able to make an unbiased opinion how effective some products might be and not be swayed by the scent alone. If something really works well, you might be doubly pleased if you like the scent in addition.

Good Luck,

BobS

this was my thinking exactly. and today, (2nd shave w/ MB) I really came to understand how_close_this _razor_cuts.... And the moisture that it leaves makes you feel like aftershave is an option, not a necessity. Wow, what a change my shaves have gone from drudgery to joy in about 6 weeks. who'd have thunk it? :thumbup:

wait for the olfactory nerve to be operational again.
why have only half of the fun?

as we say, "Oh, Oh, Oh, To Touch And Feel %*&^*, @*&^*, #$%+, So, Heavenly"

I went ahead and started using the MB's soap. caught a whiff about half way through my second pass today. Now that WAS heavenly!! three days into my Erithromycin, hope it breaks tonight, I sure love to breathe, as I recall.....

update

wouldn't you know,

it was valentines last night, and I was rushing from a 9 hour day at school, I hurried through my shave and gave myself a wicked upper lip burn. Sometime last night during my sleep, my sinuses finally opened up, and now that I can smell, I need to take the day off of shaving to heal. What a wreck!! :biggrin1:

Welcome back to the world of air. Now SHAVE, SHAVE, SHAVE! Honestly though, I find I can easily over do it when I am really into trying out new items. Have fun with all the creams.

Top Bottom