What's new

The Age Old Question: Progress or Futur

I have been shaving with a HD for a little over a year now. I would like to get either a progress or futur. I would like some opinions and pros and cons. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I will most likely be the minority here, but I had a Progress and sold it. It was nice at first, but I think that was just something different about it.

My vote is the Futur, for sure.

Progress for sure. Classic styling, proven design with decades of tradition. Works like a champ, my favorite razor.:biggrin:
Plus you won't be using something that looks like a prop from a Buck Rogers movie.:wink:

I agree with Mike. I like the classic lines pf the Progress (especially when it's got Mer's stainless knob mod) as opposed to the Futur's more modern look. I will admit that I've never shaved with the Futur, and I know it has it's fans. I just chose the Progress purely for aesthetics, and because I wasn't too wild about the whole popping off the top cap to change the blade.

Heres some pictures to help: (im in the picture taking mood atm)

Future:
Overview
proxy.php

Top Lid Facing Up
proxy.php

Top Lid Facing Down
proxy.php

Top of body
proxy.php

Long view of shaft
proxy.php

Flush Side of lid
proxy.php

Opposite side of lid (notice the lip for lifting the cap off the top)
proxy.php

Progress:
Overview
proxy.php

Merkur Logo at bottom
proxy.php

Marking side(notice the markings match)
proxy.php

Opposite side, no markings
proxy.php

Top of body, and underside of top
proxy.php

Hope that helps :)

My favourite is the Future with feathers, but it feels big, compared to the progress which is smaller and much more neater.

The progress is more aggressive than the future.

The future is very heavy overall and possibly better ballanced than the progress which can feel top heavy (espically if your used to light razors)

Pierce

I have the Futur and found it to be a terrific shaver. My only grip is that it can be dangerous changing blades or adjusting while a blade is in the head. I like the size, heft, and natural angle - at least for me. The weight of the head allows me to shave by applying ZERO effort during the beard reduction process.

I just bought a birthyear Superspeed and have tried it a few times, but it doensn't compare.

Current go to system is:
Shower
Proraso pre shave cream applied
Made lather
Wet face with warm water
WTG x 2
CTG x 1
XTG x 1
Clean up if needed
Future with a Derby set on 2

While I haven't (yet) shaved with a Futur, I have both a Vision and a Mergress. I get consistently closer shaves with the Mergress.

I havn't used a Futur but i love my Progress(modified by Mer of course). I was debating between the two razors and decided agaisnt the futur for a few reasons:

Its too big in size
the head is huge compared to the progress
Adjustment is a bit harder/not as safe

The Progress is alot classier in my opinion and very solidly built. I liked it so much it replaced my HD which i sold. That said however, i haven't ruled out "trying" a Futur and Vision, but its not something im in a rush to do.

I used to own only two of the Merkur adjustables, the progress and vision. I recently bought a third, the mergress. I think that says it all as far as my desire to own a futur.

Hey guys thanks for all your input and Pierce thank you for the pictures. I just ordered a progress and a new brush from qed.

Heres some pictures to help: (im in the picture taking mood atm)

Future:
Overview
proxy.php

Top Lid Facing Up
proxy.php

Top Lid Facing Down
proxy.php

Top of body
proxy.php

Long view of shaft
proxy.php

Flush Side of lid
proxy.php

Opposite side of lid (notice the lip for lifting the cap off the top)
proxy.php

Progress:
Overview
proxy.php

Merkur Logo at bottom
proxy.php

Marking side(notice the markings match)
proxy.php

Opposite side, no markings
proxy.php

Top of body, and underside of top
proxy.php

Hope that helps :)

My favourite is the Future with feathers, but it feels big, compared to the progress which is smaller and much more neater.

The progress is more aggressive than the future.

The future is very heavy overall and possibly better ballanced than the progress which can feel top heavy (espically if your used to light razors)

Pierce
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:Hey Pierce.... Is it possible that your bias for the Futur is coming through in your photos? The Futur all spotless and polished while the wretched Progress all smeared with fingerprints and soap scum? I'm just sayin:lol:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:Hey Pierce.... Is it possible that your bias for the Futur is coming through in your photos? The Futur all spotless and polished while the wretched Progress all smeared with fingerprints and soap scum? I'm just sayin:lol:

totally i dont like the progress at all :mad: it tears me up bad!

<3 the Future though I did drop it that night before taking pictures... just look at the head Top Lid Facing Up on the left... :mad:

Oh well still shaves like it was new!

Pierce

I like both of these razors. The Futur shaves more closely than the Progress. If you want to still feel smooth in the evening, it is best as there is no 5 o'clock shadow. However, you also need to take more time with it when shaving or you will have blood spots. (And if you change the adjustment while shaving, hold the head in a towel. A slip while doing this will result in a badly cut finger.) For a quicker shave that is almost as good, the Progress is a great razor that is easy to use and much more forgiving when working in a tight spot. The Futur gives the best shave, but I use the Progress twice as often.

I have not tried a Progress yet but I do use the Futur. I like it for the most part other than the big head makes it impossible for me to get the last 1/8 inch under my nose. I end up *gasp* using the trimmer blade on a Fusion to trim under my nose.

I like my Progress. I didn't get the Future, because the as you've heard , it's too big to get the job done under the nose.(that last 1/4 inch, like someone else said,) so I bit the bullet, and bought the Progress and haven't looked back since.

Top Bottom