What's new

Official forms and fountain pens.

This is not anything that fountain pen users haven't encountered before, just a particular instance of it.

I received a form from my town clerk to apply for an absentee ballot, which of course everyone is supposed to be able to use this year if they choose. I haven't quite decided whether to send it in; I live in a small town and voting in person shouldn't be that much of an issue, even with a strong turnout. But I did fill the form out, put it in the postage paid envelope, and will decide presently whether to mail it.

I started filling it out with an Eversharp Symphony fountain pen, a vintage pen with a nib somewhere in the vicinity of a fine medium. My name and address were already there, pre-printed, and I was just adding my phone number, but the ink bled and spread horribly, looking like a very bold felt tip. I had to switch to a Jotter ballpoint with a Schmidt EasyFlow refill to add my Email address and to sign and date the form.

Much though I prefer fountain pens, this is why I always have a ballpoint with me too. At work, we have local forms printed on two different weights of paper. The ones on the 20 lb. weight won't work with an FP unless I have one with an extra fine nib. The ones on the 22 lb. paper work well enough with any of my fountain pens, including that Eversharp.

Maybe some local election authorities spring for better paper than ours. :001_cool:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I have a similar thought. Govt forms the paper anyway doesn't work with my fp thats usually a broad tip. Filling in little boxes requires a fine point.

I’ve had good results using the Sailor Nano-pigment inks especially (Seiboku and Souboku) in fine/medium nib pens on cheap paper at work. If you’re willing to use a pigment ink in your pen, it could be a good choice.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
One of the wonderful aspects of fountain pens is that nibs and inks are virtually infinitely variable and you can dial in a pen and ink combo for pretty much anything. I would recommend a fine or extra fine nib and a dry ink like an iron gall for cheap paper. I have a Pelikan M200 with fine nib and Platinum Blue-Black for exactly that purpose. Plus, I usually flip the pen over and reverse write if I need to get the writing even finer. I know government forms are the cheapest of cheap paper and extra challenging.

I might also suggest that in my experience, vintage pens write much wetter than most modern pens. It could be the ebonite feeds or maybe that ink back in the day was drier. They are lovely on high quality paper, but not generally a good choice for filling out forms.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I’ve had good results using the Sailor Nano-pigment inks especially (Seiboku and Souboku) in fine/medium nib pens on cheap paper at work. If you’re willing to use a pigment ink in your pen, it could be a good choice.
Excellent suggestion, though I’d be leery of running pigmented ink in a vintage pen or any pen that is difficult to clean frequently.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Ballpoints for official forms here too. I like using a fountain pen for general scribbling, on paper that can handle it, but for "stuff that matters", I pick up a ballpoint. I won't use permanent ink in my fountain pens.

I use waterproof ink in most of my fountain pens, use them in my journal, notebooks, and letters, and on any other paper that I can. But I don't pick my nibs and inks specifically to work with other people's paper.:001_rolle

A Parker Jotter backs up any FP I am using 90% of the time. 100% if I know multipart forms are involved i.e. car rental contracts.

my EF/F nibs (all I use/have) and IG inks (primary/prefered) work just fine. I've even got an Esterbrook F carbon paper nib that's one of the smoothest, and amazingly pressure resistant nib I've seen. I'm just glad we don't have to do carbon copies these days. of course, filling out the same form 4+ times isn't really an improvement. at least these days it's just govt. forms that require that.

I'll be voting in person myself.

Top Bottom