What's new

Thai Food

I like Jay Kee Mow and the Country-Style Pad Thai.

There's a place I like in Dale City (for you DC area guys) called Thai Orchid. It's a little place... not to expensive, but tasty.

Anyway, does anyone have a homemade Drunken Noodle recipe? I have searched the internets and they vary considerably. Some say put oyster sauce and/or fish sauce in, some don't. I found a place that sells Thai basil, so I bought some and want my wife to make me the dish...

The Drunken Noodle soup is probably like a lot of other recipes (chili comes to mind). There are lots of variations of it with not one of them accepted as the "real" one. I suggest you experiment to see which one you like.

I actually printed out about 5 different recipes and will kind of put them all together (or have my wife do it.)

There's a chain here in Toronto called Thai one on(or won on) the best Thai food I have ever had and I've eaten at a bunch of places.

My favorite Thai food is cashew chicken. Or course the classic pad Thai is alway good too.

I am having a GREAT Thai run right now.

Starting Thursday, I had a nice Pad Thai. Yesterday I had Drunken Noodles.

Today I am going back to the restaruant to get lunch for the crew here at work, plus I have some left over Drunken Noodles which I had for breakfast.

Tomorrow, I am meeting my study group (I am taking night classes) at the other Thai restaurant since my prefered one is closed on Sundays. I would like to try something different however. So, does anyone have any creative suggestions other than Drunken Noodles or Pad Thai? I want something that will suprise me, mainly about how awful the menu description sounds and how wonderful it will end up tasting.

One of the ladies in my group has never had Thai before and it's taken a year to get her to even step foot in this place, so hopefully she can be plesantly suprised as well

Oh, BTW, my wife made the Drunken Noodles for me a few weeks ago (see a previous post in this thread), while it wasn't as good as my prefered restaurant, it was much better than my 3rd favorite Thai restaruant in town.

My go-to is a very humble Bangkok dish that appears on most menus - Pat Kapraow Muu or stir fried pork with chili and Thai basil.

Unfortunately, most US restaurants prepare it with sliced meat. I only order it if they will make it with ground pork, extra spicy, as they do in BKK. I always ask for a fried egg on top and liberally apply the chili fish sauce.

I think I'll need to get some on Monday now...

Also, Khao Sawy from Northern Thailand is fantastic - fresh noodles in a spicy, creamy coconut chicken broth with loads of condiments to add (shallots, pickles, lime). It's hard to find in Bangkok much less outside of Thailand, but if it's on the menu the cook is probably from the north and it may be worth ordering.

Last edited:
I made a huge amount of green curry paste last night, since I had an overrun of fresh lemongrass from the local CSA. Keeps well, and can be used in dozens of ways. Fry it up, add sliced protein, coconut milk, and a handful of fresh basil and you are good to go.

Two Co-workers and I get out of the office about once a week for lunch. Some of the most heated arguments are wether to have Thai or Vietnamese. I find myself wanting curry so bad sometimes that I wonder if there is something mildly narcotic in it. It does produce an almost fiery euphoria. That being said I suppose you can guess I like Thai curries the best, I personally eat mostly jungle curry (krung kaeng pha gai), especially if I make it at home because it doesn’t have coconut milk and is better for me, but when I am indulging I go for the red curry chicken (keng ped gai). Of course I also adore all varieties of thai noodle dishes, pad thai, pad see ew, rad na, and goew tiew kak come to mind. When the alternative, Vietnamese is on the menu I go for a pho bo or banh mi.

Top Bottom