What's new

Thai Food

Mmmmm....Thai Food. I really like Red Curry and Pad Thai and make it spicy. I never knew about the American Hot and Thai Hot. It works just fine for me though, I don't need to challenge the chef into making it abserdly spicy.

Reminds me...it's the Kung Pao! George likes his checken spicy!

Mmmmm....Thai Food. I really like Red Curry and Pad Thai and make it spicy. I never knew about the American Hot and Thai Hot. It works just fine for me though, I don't need to challenge the chef into making it abserdly spicy.

Reminds me...it's the Kung Pao! George likes his checken spicy!

Alright Bob, where ya keeping all that sports equipment?...:lol:

Garlic chicken, medium. Its hot enough to make my nose run but its a tasty hot not just a hot for hots sake.

I took my wife to the Thai restaurant last week for lunch. She loved it! Based on your suggestions, I tried the Pad Thai with Chicken, American Hot. It was delicious!

Speaking of hottness, I heard that if you order a Double Thai Hot in their native language, they will give it to you that hot, otherwise it'll only be regular Thai Hot

I''m going out for Thai tonight. A little hole in the wall place in the middle of nowhere right in the heart of redneckville. But it's sooo tasty. I call it the Thai version of home cooking.

I took my wife to the Thai restaurant last week for lunch. She loved it! Based on your suggestions, I tried the Pad Thai with Chicken, American Hot. It was delicious!

Speaking of hottness, I heard that if you order a Double Thai Hot in their native language, they will give it to you that hot, otherwise it'll only be regular Thai Hot

Hi Art,
If you are in the Tysons Corner area, there is a great Thai restaurant called Tara Thai. Also, during Friday's happy hours, you can order very delectable side dishes to go with your alcolhol for a very good price. Andy

My experience is dated and comes from Phuket. I don’t remember the names of them, but in the week I was there, I enjoyed Curried fish in Banana leaf, Smoked noodles in various sauces with bamboo shoots and vegetables, fried seasoned fish cakes, red pork with rice, BBQ on sticks, chicken pork and other meats I am not sure of. Great! Never a bad meal and the women were beautiful and friendly. A hip flask of Mekong whiskey cost $2, was tasty and was available everywhere.

As a side note, we had a guy who was a know it all lets call him Jones. He told us before we hit the beach that he really knew his way around. We went to a restaurant and that is where I had the fish in banana leaves. He ordered something called Cari cari. Not sure of the spelling. It came as a white broth with vegetable and after he had a few spoons full, he brought up a spoon and in the spoon was a disc of meat about an inch in diameter. It had a hole in the center and hairy skin on the outside. Needless to say we busted a gut as we speculated what part of what animal it came from. Jones was from then known as CARI CARI. I never did know what it was. He said it tasted good, but I can't recommend it.

Mike

Actually there's a Tara Thai restaurant by where I work here in Richmond. Our usual Thai restaurant is closed on Sunday so we ended up going there last week.....very nice!

Hi Art,
If you are in the Tysons Corner area, there is a great Thai restaurant called Tara Thai. Also, during Friday's happy hours, you can order very delectable side dishes to go with your alcolhol for a very good price. Andy

It is nearly impossible for me to eat Thai food outside of Thailand, having been spoiled by living there for nearly 2 years. They just don't have the ingredients anywhere else, and when they cook it, they tone down all the huge hits of flavor, mostly in the realm of fishy and spicy. If your Thai food is mildly hot, or not fishy, you are probably not really eating Thai food, more of a "fusion", which is fine in it's own right I suppose.. To each his own. About 6 years ago now, I found a Thai restaurant once while living in Salt Lake City of all places. We went in and saw some of the help eating at a table near the kitchen. I asked them to make the same dishes for myself and my party that evening, and actually got "Thai food" that way. Completely off the menu stuff.....You can find gems out there, if you look hard enough I guess. ENJOY! :wink:

It is nearly impossible for me to eat Thai food outside of Thailand, having been spoiled by living there for nearly 2 years. They just don't have the ingredients anywhere else, and when they cook it, they tone down all the huge hits of flavor, mostly in the realm of fishy and spicy. If your Thai food is mildly hot, or not fishy, you are probably not really eating Thai food, more of a "fusion", which is fine in it's own right I suppose.. To each his own. About 6 years ago now, I found a Thai restaurant once while living in Salt Lake City of all places. We went in and saw some of the help eating at a table near the kitchen. I asked them to make the same dishes for myself and my party that evening, and actually got "Thai food" that way. Completely off the menu stuff.....You can find gems out there, if you look hard enough I guess. ENJOY! :wink:

This is true and not only for Thai food BTW, and flavors often differ between countries as well (e.g. Asian food in Sweden vs the Netherlands). I did find a local restaurant a while back that was more genuine than most, unfortunately the owner sold it and started a restaurant in a different city :crying:.

I adore Thai food. Laab Gai, Papaya Salad, Sataya, Drunken Noodle, any kind of Pad Thai, it really does not matter. My wife and I will get 4 or 5 appetizers, two iced teas, and one entree and have enough for lunch the next day. Mmmm.

I usually order a whole fish on the bone with ginger, garlic, chilli, etc.

Often a bass in the UK, but snapper in the US.

Yummmmm.

(Not great take-out food for a night shift though!)

WOW, has it really been 3 years since I started this thread?

Anyway, does anyone have a homemade Drunken Noodle recipe? I have searched the internets and they vary considerably. Some say put oyster sauce and/or fish sauce in, some don't. I found a place that sells Thai basil, so I bought some and want my wife to make me the dish...

Thanks in advance.

Lots of replies, but no one mentioned my favorite - Pad See Ewe, a wide noodle and broccoli dish with a sweet, smoky sauce. So good!

I usually get my Thai food with Tofu, just for the taste. Tofu sucks up all the good, hot spiciness and gives off these big bursts of spicy flavor. I think I'll ask my lovely wife to Ruan Thai for lunch tomorrow...

Top Bottom