What's new

Texas Gov. Declares State Sovereignty

He is pretty much an AUstin celebrity.

No disrespect Mr. Clean, but only time will tell on that one. I think we both know how Texans vote. Besides, what has changed since the last election (besides his party affiliation)? He wasn't taken seriously then, and he won't be now. I don't see Texas Dems backing him.

I think we would see a mass exodus of people coming our way.

Disclaimer: I am not saying that I agree with this happening, I just think people are getting fed up.

DL

I've talked to a LOT of people who said they would move to Texas if we seceded.

Guys, I think at this point we're moving into alternative universe territory with this one. We might as well be debating whether the Klingons or Romulans would win an interstellar war.

...No disrespect Mr. Clean, but only time will tell on that one. I think we both know how Texans vote. Besides, what has changed since the last election (besides his party affiliation)? He wasn't taken seriously then, and he won't be now. I don't see Texas Dems backing him...
Absolutely no offense taken. We are obviously at this point in the game talking opinions. Like those you have stated below.

I really don't know why the Democratic party shouldn't embrace him. I'm still trying to remember the last entry that had a chance....wait was that 1991 :smile:

I just heard today that when the Kinkster runs again (this time as a Democrat), secession will be one of his agendas.

First of all, Kinky will not beat Perry. Second, Kinky will not beat Kay Bailey Hutchinson if she beats Perry. Though I enjoy Kinky's writings, I, as well as the majority, will take him with a grain of salt.

DL
I can only say that I have not heard or read anything regarding that issue from him. I am more than a little sceptical until I hear him say it.

For him it a publicity stunt. He spends a ton of money campaigning, but the return would be far more than that spent. Book sales, cigar sales, record sales.

DL
I wouldn't characterize his campaign as a publicity stunt anymore than any other. All of the campaigns involve considerable amounts of self promotion.

An attempt at humor to point out that I think the chance of Texas or any other state seceding is so enormously remote that after a while arguing about it in a lot of detail takes on an air of unreality.

Of coarse its remote (unless you're a Klingon). The whole point of the threat made by Gov. Perry in the first place was not to declare secession, but to stand up to the federal government.

DL

An attempt at humor to point out that I think the chance of Texas or any other state seceding is so enormously remote that after a while arguing about it in a lot of detail takes on an air of unreality.

I'm pretty certain that we have had numerous people say that it isn't going to happen. Given that, sometimes it's entertaining to discuss unrealistic hypothetical scenarios.

Absolutely no offense taken.

I can only say that I have not heard or read anything regarding that issue from him. I am more than a little sceptical until I hear him say it.

Mr. Clean, thank you for not taking offence to my post. We are all here for a common purpose, and politics is not that purpose. But in regards to Obsessed's post; this is a discussion thread. I have not seen anybody get ugly or argumentive.

I did not actually read anything concerning Mr. Friedman's secession comments. It was hearsay but I did find it interesting.

Thanks again, Mr. Clean!:001_smile

DL

I'm pretty certain that we have had numerous people say that it isn't going to happen. Given that, sometimes it's entertaining to discuss unrealistic hypothetical scenarios.

Fair enough.

By the way, my prior post made me remember a joke made by, I think, Shane in the Star Trek colognes thread that may be the funniest things I've seen on this entire website. If you haven't seen that thread, you really owe it to yourselves to check it out.

On a more serious note, I have to confess that I don't normally follow Texas politics. I gather Perry is in a fight for the GOP nomination with Hutchinson. What do the polls say now?

But in regards to Obsessed's post; this is a discussion thread. I have not seen anybody get ugly or argumentive.

I don't think so either. I was just making a little joke that came to me as I was thinking that when I started wetshaving, I never imagined I'd end up following an online discussion thread about secession.

I don't think so either. I was just making a little joke that came to me as I was thinking that when I started wetshaving, I never imagined I'd end up following an online discussion thread about secession.

No worries, sir!

I know it can get mundane, but it is interesting to discuss it. Down here it is actually pretty big news.

DL

No worries, sir!

I know it can get mundane, but it is interesting to discuss it. Down here it is actually pretty big news.

DL

Thanks, I tend to joke around a lot, and I know that tone doesn't always come across on these things. One of the things I actually enjoy about this site is being exposed to points of view I don't always encounter in my day-to-day life. Even if you guys are nuts! (joke)

Fair enough.

By the way, my prior post made me remember a joke made by, I think, Shane in the Star Trek colognes thread that may be the funniest things I've seen on this entire website. If you haven't seen that thread, you really owe it to yourselves to check it out.

On a more serious note, I have to confess that I don't normally follow Texas politics. I gather Perry is in a fight for the GOP nomination with Hutchinson. What do the polls say now?

They smell like virginity
:lol::lol:was by far the best post (& on one of the funniest threads) that I've seen on this whole site. :lol::lol:

Mr. Clean, thank you for not taking offence to my post. We are all here for a common purpose, and politics is not that purpose. But in regards to Obsessed's post; this is a discussion thread. I have not seen anybody get ugly or argumentive.

I did not actually read anything concerning Mr. Friedman's secession comments. It was hearsay but I did find it interesting.

Thanks again, Mr. Clean!:001_smile

DL
DL, don't get too polite out here in public, it could cast Texans as civil and gentlemanly instead of the rough and ready onery rapscallions which we truly are. Perhaps we should sling a little mud so our reputations are not otherwise sullied:biggrin:

Thanks, I tend to joke around a lot, and I know that tone doesn't always come across on these things. One of the things I actually enjoy about this site is being exposed to points of view I don't always encounter in my day-to-day life. Even if you guys are nuts! (joke)

I am as nutty as a fruitcake. But then again, we all have a certain degree of nuttiness!:lol::lol:

BTW, I have been on cigar forums and here long enough to know that things can come off sounding different typed than actually spoken.

DL

DL, don't get too polite out here in public, it could cast Texans as civil and gentlemanly instead of the rough and ready onery rapscallions which we truly are. Perhaps we should sling a little mud so our reputations are not otherwise sullied:biggrin:

:lol::lol::lol:

DL

If by "you guys" you mean ya'll and by ya'll you mean us Texas boys...then I thank you for the compliment. :biggrin:

Since we're getting into hypotheticals, do you think that they'd throw the Texas teams out of the Big 12 if Texas secedes? If so, would that cause anyone to reconsider their position on the issue?

Since we're getting into hypotheticals, do you think that they'd throw the Texas teams out of the Big 12 if Texas secedes? If so, would that cause anyone to reconsider their position on the issue?
Quite frankly, I'm all for a revival of the good ol' SWC. :tongue:

I truly long for that great cartoonist (can't seem to recall his name) who did the weekly lineups in the DMN.

Top Bottom