What's new

"Ten Must Try Fragrances" Lists

I haven't had many of the classics but here is a short list of fragrances that I have enjoyed in no particular order:
Creed GIT
Creed Santal
Cool Water
Drakkar Noir
Polo
Aramis
Curve
CK One
English Leather
British Sterling
Good Life
Lacoste Red(love the scent just does not last long on my skin)
Hugo Boss

Burberry by Burberry is a nice pleasing frag for casual or office wear. Nice bright orange citrus opening dried down to a very British gentleman's barbershop scent. The opening says "Off Bug Spray" but that settles down into a nice gentlemanly fragrance. Good for purchasing for someone who wants a fragrance under their tree but doesn't know what they want.

Great thread and perfect timing as I just ran out of my daily frag that I havent been pleased with for sometime as it doesnt stick around for half the day. I am very new to this so this thread is great and basically it looks like I need to hunt dowm samples. I ordered samples from the imaginary authors line up and will be looking forward to that coming in. Another I was looking at was the Guerline vertiver not positive in the spelling but will see if I can grab some samples of that also.

Hahaha you guys are so old. I may be only 30, but anything made more than 20 years ago is a classic...

I'm looking at you, GIT, Polo Green, Cool Water, etc...

I am a newbie, and forgive my first assumption, I am surprised that in the classics several people mentioned Old Spice and even British Sterling. More amazing to me is that no one had a snobby comment about anyone else's choices. I am impressed, this community really believes in real gentlemen behavior.

I am a newbie, and forgive my first assumption, I am surprised that in the classics several people mentioned Old Spice and even British Sterling. More amazing to me is that no one had a snobby comment about anyone else's choices. I am impressed, this community really believes in real gentlemen behavior.

Welcome, jrod. You'll see that that spirit of gentlemanly behavior is maintained throughout the forum. And a large part of that is due to the diligence and hard work of our volunteer corps of moderators and stewards. :thumbup:

Welcome, jrod. You'll see that that spirit of gentlemanly behavior is maintained throughout the forum. And a large part of that is due to the diligence and hard work of our volunteer corps of moderators and stewards. :thumbup:

+1 and also because around here YMMV is true more than in many other areas of life :wink2:

Classic
Brut
Col konk bay rum
Aqua velva blue
Old spice
Polo green original

Modern
Cool water
Joop
Versace blue
Gucci
Tommy hilfiger
Polo black

Niche
Anything sandalwood
Onion b.o.

Reference, classic or famous must tries
Guerlain Vetiver - often referred to as the reference Vetiver.
Green Irish Tweed - find out what all the fuss and controversy is.
Knize Ten- the original and reference dirty leather.
Antaeus - historic powerhouse
Kourous - another historic powerhouse from the 80s
Rive Gauche - often referred to as the reference barber shop smell
Musc Koubla Khan - the reference poopy civet frag.
Pour une Homme Caron - pure lavender
Mouchier de Mounsieur - old school citrus before they all became aquatics
Tabac - classic babershop, it's been around along time for a reason.
Memoir Man - great intro to incense and middle Eastern style frags
Eau Savage - the beginning the lite citrus aquatics ands it's done right.

:lol::lol:

Welcome to B&B, and especially to the Fragrance forum. It's been enlightening to me discovering how many fragrances that have been around a long time are still highly regarded and enjoyed. It's also been fun "discovering" scents that I wasn't familiar with because they aren't sold in the department store fragrance counters.

As for smelling like an old man, well, I am an old man, so I guess no matter what I wear I'll smell like an old man, so I might as well be a really nice smelling old man. :laugh:

Amen. I wholeheartedly agree!

Thsnks! On further consideration, Aqua Velva or something like Prosaro should have been on my classics list. I would definitely take Canoe off my classics list. Too close to Clubman.

I didn't want to sound like a total noob so I did not want to just jump in. I am glad that you mentioned Aqua Velva because I like it. There are tons stuff on the lists prior that I haven't heard of. It will be fun to find and try as many as I can though.

I'll have to throw in a list solely based on things I've tried and enjoyed, so the list is not so long :001_smile:

Aramis (the original and 900 are favorites right now)
Chanel Egoiste
Caron Pour Homme
Quorum
Saint Charles Shave (smoke and beads)
Terre de Hermes
Speick EdT
Tabac cologne
Pinaud Special Reserve
for a very inexpensive but nice scent I would recommend a Coty, my favorites are Aspen and Wild Spice
Ogallala Bay Rum and Sandalwood
and last but not least GFT

Last edited:
Haha, it was good to see this thread revived, quite a variety of scents, opinions and nostalgic recollections. Kanon Norweigian Wood, what a blast, I revisited this in 2013, I think it's a great linear scent for the Fall/Winter. To my nose I get Cedar in the Base, it really brings back good memories of Christmas as a young boy of 11-15. I always got a Cologne as one of my gifts, Avon, Brut by Fabrege, Pierre Cardin, or Kanon Norwegian Wood.

My later teen years and early Adulthood were mainly Polo Green, Obsession, Lagerfield , Grey Flannel, Kouros, and Albert Sung, in my mind that was all I needed
. Then Cool Water was introduced, the only Aquatic I really cared for, wore it 3 straight Summers, fell out of love and avoided all aquatics. In the Summer of 2012, I was gifted a 1.7oz bottle of D&G Light Blue, it was meh but I used it up, but I did enjoy Nautica Voyage for some reason and plan on wearing it this Summer.

I'll pipe in with my picks I don't exactly have ten must have.

Old Spice is a total classic that everyone needs to try.
Polo (Green) and Obsession are both modern classic that again everyone may not like (I don't like either honestly) but we need to try.
Drakkar Noir is a another modern classic that everyone should try.
A*Men is a polar opposite to Drakkar Noir in a way where it don't smell dark at all. Again this isn't a scent everyone loves but it is one enough does.
English Leather, just to know what wet dog smells like.
Stetson, it is kind of a modern classic that being in the southwest it makes it a must. But I'd argue it is one you have to try especially with the cheap price for the holiday season.
Cool Water, even kids at the high school I work at use it.

1. Old Spice
2. Dominica Bay Rum
3. Pinaud Clubman
4. Pitralon (the Swiss version!)
5. Myrsol Blue
6. Floid Blue
7. Aqua Velva
8. Tabac Original
9. Hugo Boss
10. Davidoff Cool Water

I regulary use 1. and 8. on my list as I like their fragrance and they are readily available at the brick-and-mortar stores near where I live and not too expensive, either.

I'll pipe in with my picks I don't exactly have ten must have.

Old Spice is a total classic that everyone needs to try.
Polo (Green) and Obsession are both modern classic that again everyone may not like (I don't like either honestly) but we need to try.
Drakkar Noir is a another modern classic that everyone should try.
A*Men is a polar opposite to Drakkar Noir in a way where it don't smell dark at all. Again this isn't a scent everyone loves but it is one enough does.
English Leather, just to know what wet dog smells like.
Stetson, it is kind of a modern classic that being in the southwest it makes it a must. But I'd argue it is one you have to try especially with the cheap price for the holiday season.
Cool Water, even kids at the high school I work at use it.

Now that I got and tried Ed Hardy Villain, yeah add that in too...

Top Bottom