What's new

TEA TREE OIL IN WITCH HAZEL RATIO

I purchased some Tea Tree Oil for its benefits to put in my Witch Hazel.
What ratio should I use? Say I have a 12-16 oz bottle of Witch Hazel, how many drops of Tea Tree Oil should I add?

I always just play it by ear with essential oils. Start with 10 and see how you like it then adjust accordingly.

I purchased some Tea Tree Oil for its benefits to put in my Witch Hazel.
What ratio should I use? Say I have a 12-16 oz bottle of Witch Hazel, how many drops of Tea Tree Oil should I add?

I have the Thayers non-scented with aloe and I do 5 drops of Tea Tree and 10 drops of organic lime oil. I also have the lavender oil for another bottle. I purchased the two thayer bottles off amazon and all three (tea tree and two scents - all organic) from whole foods.

The minute is amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ad Astra

The Instigator
One of my favorites. I used to float a 1-2mm layer of TTO in the witch hazel bottle, and remember to shake it very well right before splashing on. They do not mix but momentarily.

AA

I'm not usually sensitive to stuff I put on my face but I recently tried a small amount of tea tree oil in my Thayers witch hazel...and my face was red for most of the day.

It got a few laughs in the office though :001_rolle

I'm not usually sensitive to stuff I put on my face but I recently tried a small amount of tea tree oil in my Thayers witch hazel...and my face was red for most of the day.

I had a recent reaction to two TOBS Soaps so now I do a sensitivity test of anything new I use. Everything okay with this tea tree oil thankfully.

I had a recent reaction to two TOBS Soaps so now I do a sensitivity test of anything new I use. Everything okay with this tea tree oil thankfully.

I should have done that...lesson learned. And of course applying it after shaving is likely to amplify any side affects.

I've also read that 'the longer tea tree oil is allowed to sit and age, the more it also has a chance to break down into components that are more likely to cause an allergic reaction'.

I borrowed this recipe from another string:

Post Shave Splash
1 bottle of Witch Hazel (240ml)
1 bottle Tea Tree Oil – add 5 or 6 drops into WITCH HAZEL
1 bottle of Lavender Oil – add 10 drops into WITCH HAZEL
1 bottle of Peppermint Oil – add 10 drops into WITCH HAZEL
Give it a good shake, and before using it.

One of my favorites. I used to float a 1-2mm layer of TTO in the witch hazel bottle, and remember to shake it very well right before splashing on. They do not mix but momentarily.

AA
Yep, I shake up just about everything lol

Post Shave Splash
I saw a YouTube video with that. I ended up using 10 of the tea tree, 10 lavender, and 5 eucalypti.

That's what I've heard, that to some can irritate your skin, so be wary, and YMMV. Y got a bottle of Humphreys and put 3 drops only, and 10 of each peppermint and lavender. But once I ran out of that, I now keep my bottle unspoiled and only add the oils on the final container, which is an old spray bottle of EDT which you can unscrew the pump, or smaller TSA approved bottles for traveling, or for my 2nd den. So I only put a couple drops of tea tree there, and 5 of the others. I know the concentration is higher than the first one I did, but thankfully my skin takes the oils well.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I would Decanter into a small glass bottle and tweak your formula a little until just right, why change the main bottle when it can be used for other uses also. I use Witch hazel to dilute strong scented aftershaves or just apply witch hazel direct YMMV.

Post Shave Splash
Thanks for that - I'll give this a go.
I'll patch test some of the tea tree oil on my skin before mixing into the WH.

Last edited:
Tee tree oil causes contact dermatitis in about 5-10% of users, which is significant. Would definitely try on a small area, and be aware of any reaction after you begin using it. Dermatitis is not the same as a true allergic reaction, but the odds for a worse reaction increase after the first one.

Tee tree oil causes contact dermatitis in about 5-10% of users, which is significant. Would definitely try on a small area, and be aware of any reaction after you begin using it. Dermatitis is not the same as a true allergic reaction, but the odds for a worse reaction increase after the first one.
Also, combining things that can cause contact dermatitis increases the likelihood. So peppermint, tea tree, cinnamon, and others would need to be look at in total, as well as individual concentrations.

5 or 6 drops of Tea Tree oil in 240ml is a tiny % though.
I'll still test though, maybe 1 drop in a couple of ml.
Definitely try in a small amount! I use what others might consider a huge amount of cinnamon oil in my Pre-shave. 4 drops in 70ml. I would not recommend it. Too much like spice, my "warm", might be another's agony.

Well I patch tested all 3 oils.
I'm not allergic to tea tree oil :)

I then put 6 drops of tea tree & 10 drops of peppermint & lavender into the full 240ml bottle of Humphreys WH astringent.
I tried that yesterday, but could still easily detect the WH over everything else.

Today I added another 4 drops of tea tree & 5 of the other 2 oils and this is a better balance to my nose.
Nothing overpowers anything else & I have no bad reactions.

I'm going to add some glycerin as the final ingredient to my AS splash.
How much would you start by adding to 240ml WH with 14% alcohol?

Top Bottom