What's new

taking the plunge - which DE to start with?

after a very kind and gracious welcome to my first post I am ready to take the plunge and try this wet shaving business. looks very rewarding.

so... where do I start? good first razor and razor blade to begin with recommendations would be most appreciated.

I already own a badger brush, mug and soaps so some of the starter kits in the mall have been a little redundant, though I'm still tempted. but would kind of like to just start with the razor and some blades to see how this goes.

economy isn't the only issue but it is an issue. as with all first endeavors I'd rather not invest a ton of money on this first razor until I see how this works for me.

so recommend away please! thanks.

I would recommend getting one from the B/S/T forum as well - as you will likely get a better deal than some of the stuff you can find on ebay.

I have heard Gillette tech is a great razor, and great for beginners.

Check into the BST, I'd suggest a Tech or a Super-speed. If your thinking a Gillette adjustable, I'd suggest setting it on 3 and forgetting it for awhile.

I'll echo what myuserid suggested and recommend a Super Speed first. I think they are easier to handle than a tech and make better first DE's. There are a ton of them on eBay, and they pop up almost daily on the BST. Target price:$15.

Same goes for the Krona; it yields an excellent shave as well.

The HD's great, but the R-89's an even better-made version of it IMHO. The Superspeeds really nice also but requires a different technique. Surprised to hear stubblefield finds Techs slightly more difficult. The only DEs I'd suggest you stay away from are the Futur (great but tricky), the Slant (good for some but if you get it wrong you can tear up your face) and the Vision (cos its huge, unwieldy and has terrible q.c./maintanance issues). Everything else should be fine. Something like a Merkur short-handled classic'd work well too. I'd stay away from comb-heads tho, especially the 11c, as its finnicky and the single-rings very agressive.

Top Bottom